PDA

View Full Version : Cutting on a tilted plane

myxpykalix
11-05-2014, 05:58 PM
My free dxf viewer license expired so i can't draw it and save the 2d view so let me see if i can describe what i want to do.

The end goal is to drill a hole at a 30 degree angle in a 2x4 so that the dowel that is inserted sticks up at an angle and two of these create a rack.

My thought was to cut a jig to hold the 2x4 at a 30 degree angle to the router.

Then i could drill my 3 holes in a 36" long 2x4 at 10" apart

Here is my question.....visualize your 2x4 sitting in the X axis and the first hole is higher then the third hole. If i want to just make this a 2d toolpath to cut these holes, how would i program the height of the different holes as depths to get the same bottom depths? Am i explaining it correctly?:confused:

steve_g
11-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Jack…
Rise =5” run = 8.66”
SG

myxpykalix
11-05-2014, 07:06 PM
My board is 36" long, 3" wide so by your math i have to have a 20" tall rise?
Some days i just get cloudy and confused....:o:(

steve_g
11-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Only 15" if you start at 0... Maybe you can drop it into the indexer pit after cutting the first or second...
SG

bobmoore
11-05-2014, 07:51 PM
How about a dedicated fixture for the drill press? Bob

myxpykalix
11-05-2014, 08:04 PM
How about a dedicated fixture for the drill press? Bob
Did I say i wanted to do this the easy way? lol:D

Yes i have plenty Z depth in the indexer bay. I think i may need to make it into a 3d object with a 30 degree angle and place the holes accordingly and just use the toolpaths for the holes.

donek
11-05-2014, 11:17 PM
The simplest solution to your problem is to cut dados at your required angle in a pair of 1X4s. Cut square pegs the size of the dados and laminate the two 1X4s together with the square pegs in the dados.

Or you could simply tilt the tilting table on your drill press (I have yet to see one that does not tilt) to the angle you require, clamp a fence to the table and begin drilling your holes. The best bit for this sort of thing is a paddle bit as the fine point will consistently drill where you put it.

myxpykalix
11-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Sean,
He wants to be able to "flat pack" the kit where the dowels are not inserted. So what i need to do is cut 4 holes at 30 degrees in a 36" long 2x4.

Because he needs 30 sets of two on each order i wanted to automate it so i could make a jig, put a 2x4 in, press a button, cut the holes...done!:D

Besides that's why i paid 15K for my machine!:D

What i had thought about, if you visualize this...take a side view of stairsteps, and i would be cutting a hole in each top of the step representing 4 steps. That gives me the spacing and depth:confused:

Not sure why cutting 4 holes is so hard for me to figure out!!:confused:

POPS 64
11-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Jack , there is a very simple solution unless you really want to do it on the bot . Take and cut a 6" piece of a 4" x 4" drill your hole thru it then cut your angle on back , then you can screw it or clamp it as you go . Jeff :D

donek
11-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Sean,
He wants to be able to "flat pack" the kit where the dowels are not inserted. So what i need to do is cut 4 holes at 30 degrees in a 36" long 2x4.

Because he needs 30 sets of two on each order i wanted to automate it so i could make a jig, put a 2x4 in, press a button, cut the holes...done!:D

Besides that's why i paid 15K for my machine!:D

What i had thought about, if you visualize this...take a side view of stairsteps, and i would be cutting a hole in each top of the step representing 4 steps. That gives me the spacing and depth:confused:

Not sure why cutting 4 holes is so hard for me to figure out!!:confused:

I think you go to the original solution of dados in 1X4s, but use a ball end bit.

In reality, this is not a good use of your shopbot. CNC has changed the way we make things. If you must use of the CNC, the best approach would be to redesign the part to be made from a sheet of plywood such that it is one piece. In other words your dowels and supporting member are all the same part. In the long run, part reduction is always good, reducing assembly time. If it really must be a 2X4, I would suggest the old school approach as being the most effective in production. Use your shopbot to machine a jig that holds 3 drill bushings. The 2X4 is clamped to the jig with toggle clamps and an operator manually drills the holes with a hand drill. If you're not sure what a drill bushing is, it's those hardened steel tubes your drill bit is guided by on a Kreg jig. Any machining supplier like MSC sells them, or simply google to find a company that specializes in them.

jerry_stanek
11-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Jack just wants to make it difficult. A jig clamped to the 2x4 and drill. The shopbot is not the proper tool for this

myxpykalix
11-06-2014, 12:33 PM
In the end.....you may be correct.:(

curtiss
11-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Not sure what size final hole you need to drill, but could you use say a 1/4" drill bit to "peck drill" a pilot hole to the angle and depth you want ?

From there, larger bits will follow the pilot hole with a "hand drill" to the proper size.

Simops
11-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Jack.....I think there are some things a 3 axis SB just can't do practically.....a for the want of a 5 axis Shopbot!

Drill press sounds the way.....

30 degree dowel peg sounds pretty steep.....is the angle right?

Cheers

Tim Lucas
11-06-2014, 08:50 PM
You could always make a bracket to TILT your Z :eek:

myxpykalix
11-07-2014, 03:53 AM
ok check this pic out and let me see if this will work....

I have the wood setup on a jig that is 30 degrees

I make a toolpath based on the "fake material surface" that is the height of hole 1. I tell it to cut a hole 1" deep.

Then i go to hole 2 and tell it to cut a hole 2" deep
Then i go to hole 3 and tell it to cut a hole 3" deep
Then i go to hole 4 and tell it to cut a hole 4" deep

By doing it this way i can make it as one toolpath, set it and let it run. I know when it gets to hole 2,3,4 it will be cutting air for a little bit but that's ok.

(the 2,3,4 inch depths are estimates and i would make my jig, mount my wood, THEN measure the actual depths)

Does this seems feasible?:confused:

scottp55
11-07-2014, 06:51 AM
Jack, Only have VCP and not totally awake and not going to play with it anymore, BUT, just as an example.
First "fake Z" hole is Z,18.3
2= Z,13.09
3= Z,8.09
4= Z,3.09
So like 15"s of Z would be needed- drill press it :)

shilala
11-07-2014, 11:44 AM
This is a somewhat convoluted thought, and it gets away from the shopbot, but a magnetic drill set on your table saw, then a sliding jig set with stops would knock that stuff out in no time flat.
My Powermatic (which isn't magnetic, but infinitely adjustable), I could bolt it on my saw table, swing the head, and rock and roll all day.
I know you want to use the bot, but you're way out of z. And to work around it, you'd have a bunch of messing around.
A simple sled and ten minute setup and you could pound out a million of these things a day.

Or you can fight it. That's what I usually do. :D

If it makes you feel any better, you can make the sled on the Bot. :)

Kyle Stapleton
11-07-2014, 12:40 PM
I have done this but it was to drill 250 .25" holes 5mm apart.
Worked great.
But of your thing... Drill press.

myxpykalix
11-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Scott 15" of Z is not a problem for me, i have a indexer bay and i think i measured 17" at one time...

other Scott...Or you can fight it. That's what I usually do
I wonder how many times Edison was told he couldn't do something? If HE gave up we'd all still be sitting in the dark! lol:D The only thing i'm concerned with is that these holes need to be consistently even and i figured this would do that for me rather then a manual operation. However you guys may be right that it is easier to do it on the drill press....dagnabit!

jerry_stanek
11-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Jack If you make a jig that hangs off the end of the table you could index it with stops. that way you only have 1 file to work with just dill move the piece up and hit start again for each hole

scottp55
11-07-2014, 06:27 PM
I Like that one Jerry :) Indexing in the Z- Home position a few inches away, maybe a few flip stops and your enter key :)

myxpykalix
11-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Jerry, it's amazing how GREAT MINDS think alike!:D
I'm out in the shop fashioning a jig that holds it at the correct angle similar to what you show only turned the other way.
It's down in my indexer bay
The one issue i see with your drawing is the Y carriage not allowing the material to move. I'll take pics if i get it figured out and i appreciate the effort, keep thinking!:D