PDA

View Full Version : Additional Larger Desktop Coming '15

moell54
11-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Existing & Perspective 'Botters,
It's come to my attention that another, larger Desktop model is in concept design stage. Per communications with ShopBot folks, the new model will not replace the existing machine and will possibly be available in late Spring next year. It will have a 24" x 36" deck. It was also noted that the additional model will have two motors under the gantry and a different control board. Although the date of rollout and the prices are not known, the new model should be less than $10k.

scottp55
11-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks Aubrey, Should suit your needs admirably:)

Thomas Cook
12-31-2014, 08:26 PM
Any update on this larger desktop? This would fit exactly what I need and solve the Desktop/Buddy dilemma I'm having.

Love to put a down payment and get in line for this if its a couple of months away.

moell54
01-01-2015, 05:32 AM
I touched base with the ShopBot folks a few days ago. The new Desktop version is in "testing" mode there in the fab. shop. It sounds like it will be available sometime in 1Q15. Pricing has not been announced. It will also use the 1HP spindle, same as the original Desktop.

I have also been looking at the competitor's Stinger model that is of similar size but uses different control software. It looks pretty good as well.

scottp55
01-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Aubrey, They give you any idea of the weight of new Desktop? May not have been a concern of yours, but we looked at the small Stinger as well and the weight for me was a huge factor as we needed to move it(in my shop by myself, and for Kirk to take to shows like Shopbot does).
Desktop is absolutely rugged the way it is.
Thanks,
scott

moell54
01-01-2015, 06:27 AM
Morning Scott,

I haven't inquired about the weight of the new Desktop.

You bring up an interesting thought about taking it with me to different places. My initial thoughts were to station it in the shop only.

I would be interested if any of this forum's participants has experience with the CamMaster machines or comparison comments???

It seems that ShopBot is a little behind the curve with this new offering.

Aubrey

scottp55
01-01-2015, 07:06 AM
Aubrey, I seem to remember small Stinger was 600 pound crated so shipping was up there and uncrated it was somewhere around 3 times the Desktops weight. Also when we added all the options up it was way more than the Desktop delivered.
I know, cutting area---But most people who needed larger went with the Buddy, which with the power sticks added a ton of options. So a larger Desktop wasn't really Needed(But sure will be a neat machine, and should have as good or better accuracy, which is hard to imagine:) ).
They also spent a lot of time on the Handibot which I haven't seen anything like.
Seem to remember Desktop was twice as accurate and repeatable and now comes standard with 1/2" more Z.
Also a company that would make a custom MakerCrate for a wheelchair user without him even asking for it, kind of gives you an idea of what the company is like to deal with:) The friendliness and helpfullness of Customer service and the Forum sold us as much as the machine!!
We also asked for custom mods (all axis Proximity switches, spindle interlock, and shipping in a MakerCrate(they'd never done that before)).
Never regretted buying 2 of them for a single minute!!!
Happy New Year!, and I hope you wait:)
scott

scottp55
01-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Aubrey, Just ran across this--a lot different than my 82yr old mother May have been Dad 85)and me in a wheelchair, moving the Desktop to its new home:)
http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=5498

scottp55
01-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Oh, Don't forget Shopbot comes standard with VCarvePro and their version of Cut3D, and if you upgrade through them for Aspire they credit you for those programs. Not sure Camasters standard Cut2D will do what you want but nowhere near the credit VCP is, so you have to add that into the price as well.
People speak very well of "Yellow" machines. No idea of WinCNC and how it compares to SB3 though. Do know that Vectrics "Shopbot Edition" of VCP that they made for us is pretty seamless.
That's enough, I think I need to switch to decaf:)

Thomas Cook
01-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the update Aubrey, looks like I need to give Shopbot a call and ask when we can get in line for this. As nice as it would be to have a machine now with the support I've seen by Shopbot and this forum I'm willing to wait.

Also like Scott said figure basically $1500 for software you are getting and the price is more reasonable.

scottp55
01-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Thomas, here's the actual price list soonly saving $550 on Aspire upgrade it looks like.
http://www.shopbottools.com/PriceList.pdf

And here is Vectrics upgrade list
http://www.vectric.com/store.html

NOT!! putting down an excellent machine, Just saying Desktop was better for us.
I think it was suggested to us also to buy a counterbalance kit for a Stinger 1 with the spindle option. It's been a year and a half, but believe that requires a compressor attached? Doesn't use much air at all but does need to be pressurized.
Camheads---PLEASE correct any mistakes I'm making!!
Also recommend Joining Camhead Forum and stating EXACTLY what you'll be using it for, and get recommendations for the exact options you'll need and then get a quote from Joey including shipping and a date.
Everybodies needs are different.
I just love the Desktop, BUT have nothing to compare it to except a Shark they showed me to at Rockler---Which would NOT!! have done what we needed.
Never bogged spindle down, except for one little bitty time when I tried to machine Teak with my spindle nut and collet:( Trashed both in 10 seconds and will NEVER forget it.

Logan Y.
01-02-2015, 11:17 PM
This gives me even more the think about. I've been leaning towards a yellow machine for a little while just due to its size. I have pretty limited work space and the 24"x36" size would be ideal for me, where with the current desktop I'm afraid I'd run out of room and have to limit some of the items I want to make.

Probably the biggest reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a yellow machine is the forum here. I've been lurking around a long time and seen how great the community support is and I'd hate to miss out on that. Not to mention the Camp Shopbots and online training videos.

Hopefully the price is comparable to the Stinger I and I'll have an easy decision to make. It wouldn't hurt if the new desktop had an option to mount the 4th axis off the long side of the machine so I could make rounded parts up to 36".

jerry_stanek
01-03-2015, 08:30 AM
This gives me even more the think about. I've been leaning towards a yellow machine for a little while just due to its size. I have pretty limited work space and the 24"x36" size would be ideal for me, where with the current desktop I'm afraid I'd run out of room and have to limit some of the items I want to make.

Probably the biggest reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a yellow machine is the forum here. I've been lurking around a long time and seen how great the community support is and I'd hate to miss out on that. Not to mention the Camp Shopbots and online training videos.

Hopefully the price is comparable to the Stinger I and I'll have an easy decision to make. It wouldn't hurt if the new desktop had an option to mount the 4th axis off the long side of the machine so I could make rounded parts up to 36".

This forum here is great compared to the yellow forum. I see where a problem is posted and if there is a discussion that should be addressed by the company the thread is is pulled. I have followed several issues that have disappeared and was even banned for asking who the new owners were when the original owner said he was leaving.

I have been in contact with some of the people that have problems and they can't get an answer or a run around if you have bought your machine directly from them

scottp55
01-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Anybody with an indexer answer Logan's concern?
Wouldn't you just mount indexer along Y, and use wrap around Y?
Showing my ignorance:(
Don't think he'll get 36" parts unless he mounted directly to frame?
Hard to tell probably Logan, until we see exactly how the final product is set up.
Sounds like there may be a line forming:)
scott

maverickx50
01-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Wife wants me to wait till we can order the larger machine. I'd love to have 7" or more Z and us guys are usually stuck on bigger must be better but the added weight hauling it to craft fairs is my BIG concern. Think I'll have to settle for the current model with a Z axis extension and then add (not replace) with a much larger machine in the future when I'm both rich and good looking. Just have to convince the wife yet. Wish me luck on that.

scottp55
01-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Fredrick, ALL the new ones have 5.5" Z(unless you're thinking of getting Max's SUPER 9.5" Z Kit? http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20271&highlight=Desktop)

Desktop with spindle about 120 pounds, Rusty and his girlfriend Barely managed to get the crate out of my old truck, but once uncrated, had no diificulty(except at the 36" door at top of small ramp and shelfs in the way) moving it about 35'. Second pic shows Kirk's Desktop in NC just before shipping in the MakerCrate. With drill/driver and Allen insert, a matter of 5 minutes to lift the entire top off. Slightly more difficult as there were several steps, 2 32" doors (one with screen door), but still done with 2 average sized guys. MakerCrate comes with I think 6" lockable casters that handle fairly uneven ground once you install them. If putting into a small trailer or such I think with a ramp, 1 person possible(2 better) to load/unload.

maverickx50
01-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Fredrick, ALL the new ones have 5.5" Z(unless you're thinking of getting Max's SUPER 9.5" Z Kit? http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20271&highlight=Desktop)

Desktop with spindle about 120 pounds, Rusty and his girlfriend Barely managed to get the crate out of my old truck, but once uncrated, had no diificulty(except at the 36" door at top of small ramp and shelfs in the way) moving it about 35'. Second pic shows Kirk's Desktop in NC just before shipping in the MakerCrate. With drill/driver and Allen insert, a matter of 5 minutes to lift the entire top off. Slightly more difficult as there were several steps, 2 32" doors (one with screen door), but still done with 2 average sized guys. MakerCrate comes with I think 6" lockable casters that handle fairly uneven ground once you install them. If putting into a small trailer or such I think with a ramp, 1 person possible(2 better) to load/unload.

Thanks: Good info. We live in a very large (2600 sq feet) "Manufactured home" Lots of space esp. for just 2 retired people. We converted the in law apartment (separated from the rest of the house) into our work shop for now. (30X50 out building to come later) Nice way for now to get started tho once I get the electrical updated but the door sizes suck. mostly 34". On the plus side we have a long wheelchair ramp and will be getting a concession trailer with a ramp door in back. I thought about building a cart but at the price it's hard to beat the MakerCrate ShopBot has available. I've also been considering getting that new small "Shark" router just for the shows. Don't now enough about it yet tho. May not bee my best idea ever.

In any case it makes sense for ShopBot to offer a larger desktop as the competition has them out already. For me 18 X 24 is a machine that should always do 80%+ of what I need and once I get my out building up then maybe time to add something that will cut up to a 4 X 8 sheet.

I also want a CNC Plasma cutter one day. (more wants than money right now) They offer them with router capability but thinking that ShopBot should consider making a dual purpose machine them selves. (Just thinking)

willnewton
01-15-2015, 04:57 PM
I read this the day before I was about to place an order and asked about the timeline on the new version and they have been pushed back to around mid-summer.

So, I ordered the current Desktop model.

scottp55
01-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Thanks for posting that Will, though I can think of 2 people who will hate it.
Congrats on your new machine!!
Lot's of people to help here when when you get that fantastic E-mail "Your Desktop has Shipped" :)
Feel free to E-mail me(contact list) if you have any questions you don't want to post. Been stuck in bed for a month, without cutting I'm going bonkers:)
Welcome,
scott

David Iannone
01-15-2015, 05:38 PM
I read this the day before I was about to place an order and asked about the timeline on the new version and they have been pushed back to around mid-summer.

So, I ordered the current Desktop model.

Did they give you a guesstimate at the price tag on the larger desktop by chance? Welcome to the forum.