PDA

View Full Version : Machine Isolation Concerns

maverickx50
11-14-2014, 09:44 AM
I’m getting ready to order my first ShopBot, a desktop model to start with. I may add a larger unit as my new business grows but this is where I will start. I have a perfect heated & air-conditioned setting for my new business (wood Crafts). Except: There is always an except it seems: We have a high usage railroad track just 250 feet from us at the back of our 4 acre lot. We can often feel the shaking and even see hanging items sway when trains go by. I’m thinking I may need to come up with some sort of air bag type machine isolation system. My main concern is during finishing passes and getting chatter marks. My many years in manufacturing has shown this to be an issue with high tolerance CNC machines of all types. Anybody else out there that is dealing with or has dealt with this similar problem? Any recommendations?

shilala
11-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Build a sub-base with dampers if you're concerned.
Mount table to floor, dampers to table, subbabse to dampers, you're rockin.
I'd just go ahead and see if there's an issue before I did anything, but it's a very fixable situation.

scottp55
11-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Fredrick, I've got Desktop on a mobile base(MakerCrate) and I was worried and always locked all 4 casters originally EVERY time I was going to cut, but as several months went by I got lazy and now leave all 4 unlocked because it's easier to shift the whole unit when plexi shield isn't quite in the right place for a dialing in a new Teeny bit. Haven't noticed any change in cut quality at all even when doing VCarve cuts the make the Desktop do the "Watusi".
I might wait until I see what's up before I go overboard--Desktop is TIGHT(NO play).
Used to have my Bicycle shop in the Kennebunk Train Station and slept upstairs--So when the "Midnight Express" came through 12 feet away.... I know what you're worried about:)
scott

maverickx50
11-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Fredrick, I've got Desktop on a mobile base(MakerCrate) and I was worried and always locked all 4 casters originally EVERY time I was going to cut, but as several months went by I got lazy and now leave all 4 unlocked because it's easier to shift the whole unit when plexi shield isn't quite in the right place for a dialing in a new Teeny bit. Haven't noticed any change in cut quality at all even when doing VCarve cuts the make the Desktop do the "Watusi".
I might wait until I see what's up before I go overboard--Desktop is TIGHT(NO play).
Used to have my Bicycle shop in the Kennebunk Train Station and slept upstairs--So when the "Midnight Express" came through 12 feet away.... I know what you're worried about:)
scott

Thanks: Your probably right. My machining background required tolerances of +-.00005 inches. (WEDM & Jig Grinding) Thus the vibration concerns. With wood as long I don't get and severe cutter chatter all should be good. Besides light sanding will usually be needed in any case. Probably over thinking but it's an engineers personality trait.

myxpykalix
11-14-2014, 03:00 PM
I think you are overthinking it. I don't think that any vibration you may get will affect the cut because it is such a tight unit.
I recall as a kid we lived about 100 feet away from the train tracks and at night we could see the door rattle and the hanging pots and pans rattle. Considering that this house in the early 1900's used to be a funeral home, now i'm not so sure it was the train doing all the rattlng!:eek:

scottp55
11-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Probably Fredrick, Dad's an ME and EE and ran/owned a CNC shop(Now Solera's Coatings) for many years, and specialized in replacement/new parts for vacuum deposition so he normally thinks in molecules/microns:) Had his head machinist here back in the beginning to help me get set up and he thought it was a "Toy" when he first saw it, and then he started checking it out. Used to Big Iron 100K+ machines and dealing with IBM & Dow Corning type spec's. He wound up being totally impressed with the Desktop and TOTALLY APPALLED by by the variance from nominal in wood bits:eek: So much so he had me make an entire separate category in my tool database for my "Actual" bit inventory right out of the gate.
Funny thing was he was more impressed by the Software. 35 years in--and he had NEVER seen his name go through 6 different fonts and then actually hold the piece of carved wood 10 minutes after I created the "Bill H." file:) MUCH more chatter from bit deflection and wood movement than from the Desktop itself!!
YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT:)
What type of stuff do you PLAN to do with it?
you might want to check out "Desktop Jigging pics?" thread for some neat ideas people here gave me. Great community!
scott

maverickx50
11-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Probably Fredrick, Dad's an ME and EE and ran/owned a CNC shop(Now Solera's Coatings) for many years, and specialized in replacement/new parts for vacuum deposition so he normally thinks in molecules/microns:) Had his head machinist here back in the beginning to help me get set up and he thought it was a "Toy" when he first saw it, and then he started checking it out. Used to Big Iron 100K+ machines and dealing with IBM & Dow Corning type spec's. He wound up being totally impressed with the Desktop and TOTALLY APPALLED by by the variance from nominal in wood bits:eek: So much so he had me make an entire separate category in my tool database for my "Actual" bit inventory right out of the gate.
Funny thing was he was more impressed by the Software. 35 years in--and he had NEVER seen his name go through 6 different fonts and then actually hold the piece of carved wood 10 minutes after I created the "Bill H." file:) MUCH more chatter from bit deflection and wood movement than from the Desktop itself!!
YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT:)
What type of stuff do you PLAN to do with it?
you might want to check out "Desktop Jigging pics?" thread for some neat ideas people here gave me. Great community!
scott

As we are both retired and my partner has a lot of past experience in selling at festivals all around the country were hoping to build wood crafts to sell and help pay for our travels in a 5th wheel RV. I'm getting a hauler version with an 8 x 14 foot garage in the back and intend to take the desktop along with a few other necessary tools & machines etc. along for the ride as well. We will be building product at home during the summers then heading to warmer climates before the show falls.

scottp55
11-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a plan:)
Kirk has taken his Desktop to several fairs this year(He got his in January) for a total of about 3 weeks, a UPS as a line filter has saved his butt a couple times--I have one too, as I'm country power with regular "blips" and I unplug for thunderstorms and it runs computer and Desktop(spindle turned off and not cutting) for about an hour and a half without losing comms or having to shut down. You may want to consider.
A few others are thinking of doing what you are with the Desktop, so make sure you post while traveling about how it's going (and to make us jealous:)

curtiss
11-17-2014, 07:48 PM
So, how big of a UPS do you need to run the router and bot motors and computer "long enough" to safely shut down if you lose power ?

Does anyone use such a UPS system ?

maverickx50
11-17-2014, 09:11 PM
My 5th wheel RV will have a 100 amp generator. But, most events are not going to allow me to sell out of a 38 Ft RV. Will likely be moving thru bot into a tent this your suggestion for a reliable power source backup system is a good idea.

Thanks.

Ps hour or so should be good. The only realistic use of a Shopbot would be to add/carve names or initials into an existing product. Long runs would not make for many sales.

scottp55
11-19-2014, 11:06 AM
UPS that I have here running the Desktop, 1hp spindle,monitor, computer, and 50W Halogen spot is a CyberPower 1500AVR. When I hear thunder I just Spacebar,unplug from wall, turn off spindle, wait... Then reverse that order and Resume. Longest T-storm was 1.5 hours. Tested while doing an air-cut back in the beginning with spindle at 14K and the estimate on the display was I think 28 minutes. Recommend as good as this or better so no lost comms.

scottp55
11-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Fredrick, You may also want to look into the Mini-enclosure and the MakerCrate that Shopbot uses for their shows. Kirk uses both.
Crate comes with 6-8" big casters good for parking lots/fairgrounds--good storage inside for computers/UPS/packing material/brochures/product/etc.. and is accessible from 2 removable panels held on securely with 4 connection bolts(Allen key).
Crate is $450 (worth it) finishes nicely, and is very stable(we bought 2) and if ordered with machine it is shipped in it with no additional freight cost. Just saying.:)

chiloquinruss
11-20-2014, 12:30 PM
I second the Crate method. I have helped out at a couple of Maker Faires and it is the way that ShopBot moves their show equipment around. They are VERY sturdy and very handy. Russ