PDA

View Full Version : ok, now that i have her top off, what do i do?

myxpykalix
11-24-2014, 02:26 AM
NO...not that!!...:eek: I skinned the table down to the plenum so i have nothing on the top right now and thought before i lay another sheet of mdf down with the changes in table designs, gaskets, glues i better ask if there is anything i should do before i commit it to glue?

FYI....some of you new guys...see that jagged line in the circle? Well before i cut my plenum in that plywood that jagged line was my first cut on the bot. The only problem is that it was a 1/2 endmill that went all the way thru 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood, buried itself up to the collet and didn't stop until it blew out 1 or 2 fuses in the control box:eek: So if you break a bit or ruin a piece of wood just realize you're not the first to screw up and won't be the last!:o:rolleyes:

shilala
11-24-2014, 12:02 PM
That is the best crash story I ever heard.
You should add "and then it did about 16 barrel rolls and landed upside-down in the ditch across the street". :D

dlcw
11-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Jack,

On the serious side, make sure your surface your spoil board on one side flip it over and glue that surfaced side to the plenum. Then surface the new face of the spoil board.

This will ensure the greatest possible air flow.

Keep track of were you have high points in the plenum. These are your glue points. I use caulk, not glue. I put two or three quarter size piles of caulk on these points and a solid 1/4" bead all around each zones board. For each zone of spoil board I edge band with plastic edge banding to isolate one zone from another. I put down one zone at a time and turn on the vacuum hold down to hold that board in place while I get the next board ready. This ensures the spoil board is held down well while the caulk sets up. I repeat this for all zones and leave the vacuum running for about 2 hours to ensure a good seal.

This process has served me well since 2009. I went from 4 zones to 7 zones on my system and I followed this exact same procedure.

harryball
11-25-2014, 10:07 AM
I don't know Jack, I mean that sounds pretty dumb, I can't imagine anything dumber except maybe clamping yourself to your own table with vac pressure and... oh, uh, never mind, forget I said anything. :D

Be prepared to make mistakes, don't panic, stay alive and all that other stuff.

/RB