View Full Version : 2008 Austin Camp Mar 7-8

waynelocke
01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
The time is almost here. I have been very busy and let the time slide a little.

The Austin Camp Shopbot will be Friday and Saturday, March 7 and 8. The Friday meeting will be much more informal and have only one or two presentations. Saturday will be more formal. The Friday Camp will begin at 10 Am and the Saturday camp will begin at 9AM.

As always the camp is free and includes coffee, drinks and lunch.

This year all of the camps are emphasizing Show and Tell and everyone with something to show will receive a special Shopbot Tshirt. Please bring something to share. This is always one of the more interesting portions.

I have presentations on the indexer and 3d carving scheduled. I would like to have someone whose Shopbot is the core of their business give a presentation on their business model, pricing, generating work, etc. I would also like someone who uses the Shopbot as only part of their business, i.e. cabinet shop, furniture shop, etc., to do the same. All in 30 minutes!

I would also like someone to give a presentation on using the Shopbot to machine parts for cabinets in a commercial shop.

I would beg anyone who uses the Shopbot in a unique, unusual or just cool way and would like to give a more detailed presentation than the Show and Tell to contact me.

If you fit any of these bills let me know.

Also, let me know of any ideas or special topics you would like to see addressed.

The camp will be at my shop in Southwest Austin just off of Hwy 290 at:
9000 Feather Hill Rd.
Austin, TX 78737.

Wayne Locke

joewino
01-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Sorry to say, Wayne, but I'm not going to be able to be there. I will be in Oklahoma City at a gathering of signmen that had been scheduled in advance of your meet.

But, I'll still be pushing ShopBot there. Maybe even convince a few people to buy one of those things.

Ray Skaines, a great signman from League City, just purchased one and is waiting on delivery. He was by the studio Monday and I did my best sales pitch to him.

Another sign friend in New York just ordered one also.

I'm just like the old circuit preacher coming to town and spreading the word.

Hope y'all have a lot of fun and learn a bunch. Hopefully, I will be there next year.

billp
01-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Ray,
You WILL get a "second chance" this year ! We are going to hold our 2008 Shopbot Jamboree in Austin,TX in conjunction with this year's Maker Faire at the Travis County Fairgrounds !!!
The Jamboree sessions will be held Thursday/Friday October 16/17th, and the actual Maker Faire will be Sat/Sun the 18/19th .
More details will be following in the next few months, but we hope with this much notice people will be able to block out those days on their calendar....

joewino
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Great news, Bill. This time I will reserve more time to attend and those dates don't interfere with any of the other workshops I am a part of.

The Maker Faire looks like a lot of fun but last year I was on a tight schedule and had to leave early.

Plus....that's the week of my 64th birthday.

Let me know if there is any way that I can be of help.

waynelocke
02-06-2008, 04:55 PM
For those of you needing accomodations during the Camp, here are three motels near my shop.

Extended StayAmerica Austin - Southwest
5100 US Hwy. 290 W.
Austin, TX 78735
Telephone: (512) 892-4272
Fax: (512) 892-4303
asw@extendedstay.com (mailto:asw@extendedstay.com)

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
AUSTIN-SUNSET VALLEY
4892 US HIGHWAY 290 WEST
AUSTIN, TX 78735 UNITED STATES
Hotel Front Desk: 1-512-8919500

The Heart of Texas Motel
5303 US 290 West
Austin, Texas 78735
512-892-0644 telephone

The Heart of Texas is an older motel which seems clean and campy.

If you are planning on attending I would appreciate an email so that I can get an idea of attendance.

waynelocke
02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
March 7 & 8 are two weeks away And I am firming up presenters.

I am looking for someone who would like to do a presentation on machining metal on the Shopbot. If you have some experience in this and would be interested, let me know.

If you plan to attend please let me know.

waynelocke
02-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all of the confirmations for the camp Mach 7 & 8.If you haven't confirmed yet, please do so.

Also, if you plan on bringing something for "Show and Tell", an email to let me know will help assure everyone of a Tshirt. I am counting on a lot of "Show and Tell".

The Friday camp will begin at 10AM and the Saturday session will begin at 9AM.

As usual there will coffee and donuts in the morning and lunch will be provided.

grandpaspastime
02-26-2008, 05:19 PM
With a little planning I will be there. This looks like a fun time. I will be sure and bring some of my stuff with me. see you all there. lap top and thunb drive for the good stuff

waynelocke
03-04-2008, 03:34 PM
The camp is almost here. The Friday session will begin at 10AM and the Saturday session at 9AM.

Lunch will be provided along with coffee and donuts.

If you haven't responded you are still welcome to show up especially if you bring something for Show and Tell.

The address for my shop is:
9000 Feather Hill Rd.
Austin, TX 78737.

It is easy to find and Mapquest or Google can get you there. My telephone number is 512-288-3472.

Please park along the street and walk along the side of the garage. You will see my shop in the back.

When passing by the goat pen be on your best behavior. The goats are shrewd judges of character and very judgemental, although harmless.

scottcox
03-08-2008, 10:47 PM
THANKS WAYNE!!! Awesome camp as usual!

This is my third time at Wayne's camp and every time I walk away overwhelmed with info and inspiration. If you haven't been there, you're missing out. I'm already looking forward to the next one!

BTW: Those fajitas were great. BURP!

dmidkiff
03-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks Wayne, and thanks to all the presenters. As usual they were full of information and inspiration. Am anxious to try some of the things talked about.

lalogiagorral
03-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks Wayne, We had a really good time on your shop this weekend. I hope everybody had a good trip back home.
If you need to download the software to make your presentations go to this link.
This is Microsoft Photoshow http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/photostory/default.mspx
If you need some directions in how to use it feel free to contact us.

The other thing we did talk about was the free web pages go here and open your account to build your web.
http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/?xid=c2logo

Here is our web page if you want to see how they can look like.
www.cslartisans.com (http://www.cslartisans.com)

Carolina, Santiago and Alejandro Laverde

billp
03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I also want to thank Wayne, and ALL of the Shopbotters who participated in this weekend's Camp. We had some exceptional "Show and Tell"items on hand, and both days were filled with great sessions of "how to" techniques.
I have posted the Camp Blog at-http://campshopbot.blogspot.com/
and we'll have a bunch of pictures posted on the Flickr page later today....

mikek
03-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Ditto on the thanks to Wayne, Bill and all of the ShopBotters and future ShopBotters who attended the camp. It is amazing when you get a handful of ShopBotters together what you can learn in a short period of time. Can't wait until the Jamboree!

We had a little discussion on 3D CAD sources and Google SketchUp was discussed. I have since found out that to use it to output useful files other than .png, .jpg, .bmp, .tif, or .kmz you must purchase it for $495. IMHO TurbCAD, Rhino, AutoCAD or any other real CAD software would be a better investment. The learning curve may be a little steeper, but worth more in the long run.

For quickly creating a "sketch" or idea, SketchUp is OK, but for dimensioned drawings I think you need CAD. Older versions of TurboCAD can be had very cheap and you get real 3D. The work that Ron Brown and Mike Gilley(sp?) have done with Rhino is real impressive.