View Full Version : When did you last check bolts!

scottp55
12-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Just resurfaced spoilboard preparatory to gluing some new MDF down(like Kyle S. did) and decided to double check my Z-plumb (+-.002" good enough for me for a 9" Radius) and checked all my Z bolts as I hadn't checked since the Mod. All good--THEN I checked my X-Rail bolts and got a thick hair OUT OF EVERY SINGLE ONE:eek:
Haven't checked every single bolt since I first put it on the MakerCrate so BAD "Bot owner. Everything else was tight except I got a hair out of 2 X-stepper's and 1 VFD mount.
If you had asked me yesterday I would have told you everything was golden. Mine is a little older than a year, used a lot, but NOT hard.
Maybe check yours?:)

scottp55
12-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Reason for edit was it was +-.002" Not .001" that I originally wrote.
Anyways, Had a BAD surprise after I tightened bolts. When doing multi-axis "radio"button moves in the back right corner had BAD NOISE (like a vibration/bearing noise)as it went to 24,18 from anywhere in the center of spoilboard. Tried to isolate it as it only happened in a M2,J2 or button move to back corner. single axis moves and anything from mid board to 0,0 just as smooth as normal.
Called Tech and got Frank, he asked Josh--- Josh said loosen all Xrail bolts/loosen Xstepper and left side Xbearing mounting bolts. Starting in center, squeeze Xrails together and tighten,repeat working from center outwards. Run the limits a number of times and then tighten stepper and left bearing.
I just used the tiny Quick-Grip (#53006) and a T-handle Allen.
It worked:)
Whew!