PDA

View Full Version : Boise Camp June 3rd

wooddr
01-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I thought I would start a new thread for a Boise camp. I talked with Pat, and we think that Saturday June 3rd would be a good weekend. I am open to any suggestions, so please feel free to help out. Friday could be a get together day and any other things that might get planned. Weather shouldn't be a factor here hot or cold that weekend.

Dirk

pfulghum
01-19-2006, 10:10 PM
I will be there (or here)
I would be glad to demo the BoxCutter program.
Free copies to all those attending.

-- pat

matt_r
01-20-2006, 03:03 PM
There is a possibility that I might come up from Salt Lake City. Its a bit of a drive, but hey, its the closest that a camp has ever been to my location.

-Matt

ron_moorehead
01-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Count me in. It will be a nice drive over from Olympia Wa. Wondering if anyone would liek to car pool from western Washington.

billp
01-23-2006, 11:43 AM
OK then, let's "lock in" Sat. June 3rd for the Boise Camp, and in the time between now/then we'll let the host(s) decide whether it will be a 1 or 2 day event...

jeff_rowley
01-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Dirk and Pat, since it sounds like you guys are hosting, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

steve_flanary
01-25-2006, 09:53 PM
I think I should be able to make it to Boise on the weekend of June 3rd. Sounds like fun.

wooddr
01-26-2006, 10:24 AM
I am looking forward to meeting everyone. When I get further details I will let everyone know. Being the first camp that I have been involved in this is all new for me. I'll make sure I have a few extra brooms laying around in case the shop is covered with sawdust.

Dirk

billp
01-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Dirk's address is;
3231 S. Pajaro Pl.
Eagle, Idaho

doglaw
01-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Glad to hear there will be a camp in Boise. Have got my calendar pencil'd in. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

racer
02-10-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm looking for a little local help with my shopbot if anyone is avaliable. Fairly new at this and looking for shortcuts and better options. Brian Middleton 573-9610

waynec
02-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Yee Haw! I'll be there from White Salmon, Washington.

Looking forward to meeting other Shopbotters in the area.

Friday and Saturday. Any chance I will get to see an indexer work?

Wayne from White Salmon

wooddr
03-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Wayne,

I don't have an indexer, but it is one of my next major purchases in the future. As far as I know there won't be one at the camp, unless I win the lottery between now and then. Glad to hear you are going to make it.

Dirk

wooddr
04-06-2006, 10:30 AM
To Boise Camp ShopBotters:

I am putting together some information on hotels and rates for the weekend of June 2nd and June 3rd. I have found some that are from 2 to 10 miles away from my shop.

The closest one is The Springhill Suites 208-939-8266 at 6325 N. Cloverdale road in Boise, Idaho is 2 miles away and has rates of about $115 per night. This is the nicest that I have looked at.

The Doubletree Hotel 208-343-1871 at 2900 W. Chinden in Boise, Idaho has rates of $89.95 per night and is about 7 miles from my shop. This is a pretty nice place as well.

The Shilo Motel 208-344-4521 at 3031 West Main in Boise, Idaho is about 8 miles from my shop and has rates of $66 per night and offers free continental breakfast and free high speed internet. This is not as nice as the others, but it is a pretty good bargain, probably a little nicer than a Motel 6.

As of today they all have rooms open, but you should probably get reservations sooner rather than later. All the hotels above are pretty much a straight shot from my shop and are easy to get to and from. I can also check out by the airport as well if you would rather have rooms close to the airport. A little farther away and more traffic to fight and I would assume they would have rates in the $65 range on up. If you can let me know what you all prefer I can look there as well if you want.

My address is 3231 S. Pajaro Pl. in Eagle, Idaho. Here is a map quest link for directions: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory =&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitu de=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=32 31+S.+Pajaro+Pl.&city=eagle&state=id&zipcode=8361 6 (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory =&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitu de=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=32 31+S.+Pajaro+Pl.&city=eagle&state=id&zipcode=83616 )

If those planning to attend could let me know, so we can do some preliminary planning that would be great. I would also encourage everyone to bring something that they have done with their Shopbot to share with us other rookies so we can all learn from this and hopefully make this worthwhile for Bill Palumbo to give up his valuable free time and come out to help us put this show together.

You can reach me at 208-938-4863, or dirkdunham@cableone.net (mailto:dirkdunham@cableone.net) and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you guy’s out.

Thanks

Dirk

jay_p
04-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Dirk,
I am planning on being there. Are you assuming that this will be a one day event (Saturday)?
I will be staying with family, but my favorite motel is the Statehouse Inn which is in downtown Boise. This is a little farther from Eagle, but not much farther that the Shilo. This is closer to the downtown Boise nightlife, and they have a great breakfast. I think that their weekend special is $89.95, but the breakfast is worth ten bucks.

Jay

wooddr
04-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Jay,

I am thinking it will be a one day event, but Bill P. said that a lot of people like to come over Friday afternoon and check out the location and get a chance to meet everyone. I know that I will be at the shop and everyone is welcome to come over when ever they want.

Dirk

pfulghum
05-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Camp is coming soon... 3 weeks...
Here are some links to hotels that are close by (and I recommend)...

Hilton Garden Inn (My favorite)
http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=BOIEHGI

Spring Hill Suites
http://marriott.com/property/factsheet/BOISH

-- Pat

billp
05-18-2006, 07:31 PM
We're trying to get some idea of WHO plans to attend the Camp in Boise/Eagle so we can plan for it. If you have not yet let anyone know that you will be there, PLEASE do so in the next week ....Thanks !

cnc_works
05-19-2006, 01:38 AM
Well, my wife and I are going to try to make it, however she is under the weather right now so we are not sure she will be well enough to travel by then. Sure want to though!

Donn

guilford@ida.net
05-30-2006, 01:10 AM
I plan on being there and coming out of Idaho Falls early in the morning on the 3rd. I might be a little late arriving in the morning - we'll see cause it's a 4 hour drive.
Looking forward to the event, learning what I can and meeting the other Shopbot folks. See you then!

John - Guitar Maker

wooddr
05-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Well,

The weather should be perfect for this, highs in the 70's to low 80's. I will be cleaning up the shop Thursday and will be looking forward to meeting everyone. There are a few previous posts in this thread on hotels close by and my location, and there are a few Hotels just a couple of miles away. My shop is out in the back, so when you get here you might have to park out in the front and come down the long driveway. I only made it one car wide.

Don't forget to bring some projects you have made so we can have a nice show and tell session as well.

Dirk

billp
05-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Some people have also found that it makes sense to bring a digital camera so they can take pictures of anything which sparks their interest, including the Show and Tell items...
Dirk,
I'll get there Friday afternoon (if the airlines aren't lying...) and help with any last minute stuff to get things ready...

billp
06-01-2006, 05:26 PM
I've just learned that somehow Comcast has cut off my e-mail access...They claim it will take "awhile" to sort it out, so if anyone has any questions/info regarding the Boise Camp they can send them to- campshopbot@shopbottools.com (mailto:campshopbot@shopbottools.com)
(Of course I will be leaving here at 3AM tomorrow to catch the airport shuttle so anything after that won't make much sense anyway...).
I'll be at Dirk's shop in the early afternoon so you might use his e-mail address if you need to contact either of us regarding the Camp..Thanks!

jeff_rowley
06-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey Dirk or Bill, seems like I saw a rough itenerary at one time, but can't fine one now. What time are things getting going on Saturday, and do you have a rough schedule of events? Thanks, and looking forward to it.

billp
06-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Jeff,
We usually try to get there about 8:30, and things start "officially" around 9.
As for the schedule we'll have a bunch of subjects we can cover, and when everyone gets together we'll see where the group's interests take us. Most Camps are done by 5PM ,and in a lot of cases people hang out afterwards at a local restaurant.

jeff_rowley
06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Had a great time today! Thanks to Bill for sharing all of his wisdom, and thanks to Dirk for opening up his great shop and home to us. It was a lot of funning putting faces to some of the names we see in the forum...

wooddr
06-03-2006, 09:26 PM
I have to say the pleasure was all mine. I had a great time getting to know everyone and listening to Bill and his excellent presentations. I feel lucky to have met such a great bunch of guy's. The Shopbot world is truly a unique bunch.

Thanks again for all who came and especially to those who traveled so far. I hope you all have a safe trip home.

Dirk

bill.young
06-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Some pictures from the Idaho Camp are up on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot ... Bill P. will add notes when he gets back home

waynec
06-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks to Dirk for the hospitality, and to Bill for the depth of knowledge. It was also great to meet a diverse group of 'botters not far from home.

I learned alot, I mean ALOT. Well worth the drive.

Wayne from White Salmon

doglaw
06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
The Boise camp was my first experience at a Shopbot camp and it truly exceeded every expectation I came with. I'm a newbie - so I'm sure I walked away with more than most. I am so greatful to all who were so willing to share their talents, ideas, knowledge, and expertise.

Dirk - thanks again for warm hospitality, the use of your GREAT shop, and the wonderful lunch.

Bill - you truly did a wonderful job. Thank-you so much for flying to Boise to share your expertise with us.

billp
06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
I've added some captions to the pictures which are on the Flickr page that Bill Y. has linked to above.
It was a very good Camp with a lot of pertinent information going back and forth.Guys drove in from a few surrounding states, and Dirk has one of the nicest Shopbot shops I've seen to date...
It may also be the first Camp I've been to where everyone attending was already a Shopbot owner, so we were able to get right into actual "field experiences".
Dirk's wife went above and beyond the norm and made us a great lunch, and even his fleet of "watchdogs"(short in stature, but high in decibels...) were a big hit (see pix for a shot of them on their own Artcam/Shopbot porch)...
Thanks to everyone who attended, and in particular to Dirk for the efforts he put in to make this one happen....

jay_p
06-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree with everything said above. Great day, learned a lot, nice to connect with other botters in the area. Thank especially to Dirk for hosting and Bill for coming to Idaho and sharing his experience with us. The barbecue pork was great!

Jay