PDA

View Full Version : Super Dust Deputy

David Iannone
12-09-2014, 05:13 PM
I bought the super dust deputy and Hepa filter for my Dust Collector 2 months ago and never made time to install it. My Dad was in town over the weekend and he helped me take the 1 hour to install it.

Hugh difference. Anyone wondering if you should add a cyclone to your dust collector or shop vac? It IS worth the money. More suction, and the HEPA filter is always a good thing.

scottp55
12-09-2014, 08:18 PM
I second that after 11 months. :)

David Iannone
12-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the input. Your filter looks brand new. I was wondering myself how long my filter would last before needing to replace it. However, I realize it all depends on use, and what type of machining is being done.

Are you saying from your pic that you only have to change your metal drum every 11 months?

Dave

scottp55
12-10-2014, 07:10 AM
:)
No David, I work Tiny stuff, but not always!
Emptied onto log pile maybe 8 times, but just surfaced .45" of MDF off for new spoilboard cutting area. It was 1/2 full before that and I just wanted to show that she can fill right up and still not pass the Fines on to the HEPA.
About 2 cups in the prefilter now, couldn't feel ANY before this, so don't let it fill this far!
Think someone from here had a story, where they FILLED the cyclone chockerblock full, and did NOT recommend it:)
I've got the smaller clear version(BUT the steel bucket) hooked to a Fein Turbo II HEPA for the Desktop and highly recommend the combo.
Lots of times I'll do second passes and now 3D without the DC and then forget and then forget and use compressed air---so fines do get in shop. When I notice dust motes floating I'll blow off walls and floors with both gates open and leave vac running at full power and leave for 20 minutes, then redo, NO more Motes. :)
Be interested to see how the Big Brothers do, as eventually I'd like to stick one onto the old Delta "Puffball" that services the tablesaw,shaper/jointer in the unheated garage proper. Right now it's open both doors/throw mask on and blow the Fines off everything into the dirt drive.

steve_g
12-10-2014, 08:51 AM
“Think someone from here had a story, where they FILLED the cyclone chockerblock full, and did NOT recommend it”
Hey… I resemble that remark! I did it again the week before Thanksgiving! I got so busy that I didn’t think about emptying it! The really sad part is I have a sensor Oneida provided that I haven’t installed… When a 6’ tall pleated filter gets full it’s heavy and requires a son-in-laws help!
SG

David Iannone
12-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Scott,
That's still really good for 8 empties and filter still look like this. I barely have any cut time on it yet, but wondered how much fine stuff will pass through to bag when surfacing table. This is one of those upgrades like the 4G board upgrade for my bot......I have been looking at doing both for years but though, do I really need it? Now I wonder why I hadn't done the upgrade sooner.

Steve,
What happened when it happens to fill to full? Does it start pushing everything to the DC? The cyclone is new to me. What about this sensor? How does it work? I guess I need to look on Oneida website for that.

Dave

steve_g
12-10-2014, 09:17 AM
David…
My system is a full size Oneida cyclone… When the barrel is full it fills the cyclone, when the cyclone is full it fills the filter. All without any degradation in suction power!
I the case of the dust deputy, I imagine it short circuits straight to the DC.
SG

Kyle Stapleton
12-10-2014, 09:54 AM
There is some power loss, we just filled ours to the top of everything and after the kids cleaned it all out (should have taken a picture:D) we found a lot of small cutout were left in our duct, but the fine dust does not stand a chance.

scottp55
12-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Thought it was you Steve:), but wasn't sure.
I did notice a very slight loss of suction, but mainly checked it because the Fein sounded different. Have thought about cutting a section out of canister and replacing with plexi, but kind of defeats the safety idea of using steel canister. Not difficult for me to remove anti-static hose on top and check with a 1" dowel--IS difficult to remember to do it:)
Was going to remove paper pre-filter bag to see if I got more suction(but rarely even need full power) so cheap insurance as Fein HEPAs are about $50 a pop. Figure it's paid for itself already and all without losing any suction to speak of.
Ridgid belt sander uses it too, but not enough Oomph to be perfect, BUT open a blast gate and vac off all that Nasty 220-400G exotic dust afterwards and shop stays clean unless I forget and blast with compressed:( Really helps keep house clean to as shop door is almost open and shop is part of the house---wheelchair tracks Fines REALLY well onto dark red house slab).
Had a Shopbot visitor whose wife can't even stay in his shop a few minutes because of allergies, With HEPA she stayed in shop the whole 2 hrs +. Even my lungs and eyes noticed an immediate improvement with the HEPA from the first day.
Last week that MDF dust would have been bumming me for days.

pappybaynes
12-10-2014, 12:35 PM
"Had a Shopbot visitor whose wife can't even stay in his shop a few minutes because of allergies, With HEPA she stayed in shop the whole 2 hrs +. Yes she did Scott, and she's been driving me crazy to get one for mine!
Dick

Kyle Stapleton
12-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Looks like it is time to take the HPEA out of the shop:D

Mark Farris
12-10-2014, 04:23 PM
I also have a 3 hp Oneida Super Gorilla. I purchased the extra large black Dust Deputy at IWF this year and it is wonderful. I cut a lot of MDF and it was totally clogging the cartridge filter every couple days. It was painful taking it off and cleaning it. After I installed the Dust Deputy, in-line between the Shopbot and Super Gorilla, I have only cleaned it once in the last month, and that was only because I let the Deputy over-fill and it all went back to the Gorilla. My big mistake was getting a short 20 gallon drum for the Deputy. I am going to put a larger drum on it since it now collects the bulk of the dust and very little actually makes it to the Gorilla drum. Best $300 I have spent lately.

Mark