PDA

View Full Version : Marietta, Georgia Shopbot Camp

ed_conley
09-08-2004, 06:43 PM
I'd like to host a Camp ShopBot. Need to find out if there is an interest in a Camp ShopBot in Marietta, Georgia (Atlanta suburb) during January. Target date is January 15, 2005. Please let me know your interest.

beacon14
09-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Ed,

I for one am keenly interested, but that is a 3-day weekend, and I already have another commitment. If you can do it any other weekend in January, I'll be there.

David B.

robtown
09-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Count me in, I'm just up the road a spell...

robtown
09-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Not sure if this is an officially sanctioned ShopBot event, but this, perhaps, should become one. It occurs to me that within a 10 mile radius here we have 4-5 shopbotters that I know of, one with an Alpha (welcome back David B.)

I'm literally 2-3 miles south of Ed Conley's shop. If we had a good turnout we could have two or three clinics going at once. My shop is small, but I could certainly do a couple sessions... Always love to show off the machine and it's work.

Also, I'm hoping to have a webcam up and running real soon, or should I say a BotCam?

billp
09-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Rob,
Actually this IS an "official" Camp, but Bill Young and I want to point out that in reality there is nothing keeping anyone from hosting a similar event if they have the time and facility. The major advantage of going through us to get set up is that we will be able to offer some 'perks'such as door prizes, LCD projector, and staff support for the events themselves.
We've always hoped that the Camps would act as springboards to get regional groups/networks started either by similar interests or geography.
The idea of multiple locations might work if you/Ed/others were able to co ordinate a tight schedule and minimize the movement of people. As we learned during the IWF show there are a LOT of 'Botters in the Atlanta metro area so you should have a sizeable pool of people to draw upon.
I think the best way to go from here is for all those interested to contact Ed Conley directly and let him know of your intentions. Once he can get a feel for the number of people planning to attend it will be much easier to make full arrangements.
You might want to consider having something worked out where the half day before the Camp is spent visiting some of the other Atlanta 'Bot shops so people can see the machine(s) in a variety of operations. This would also mean less physical movement of people on the day of the Camp itself.
As we have already learned, each Camp is a different venue, and with good communication everyone can find something which will make their own experience more worthwhile...
P.S. I believe that in response to some earlier postings Ed has considered moving the date of his Camp up to the 8th of January. I'll let him confirm this however...

ed_conley
09-13-2004, 03:01 PM
It's official:

The Marietta ShopBot Camp will be held at AHA WoodWorks in Marietta Georgia January 2005. It will be a day and a half starting Friday, January 7th and all day Saturday January 8th. I'll follow-up with more details.

Please confirm your interest/attendance as soon as possible.

ed_conley
09-13-2004, 04:20 PM
We have confirmed the dates for the Marietta, Georgia Camp ShopBot for January 7th and 8th, 2005.

We'll have a 1/2 day on Friday, Jan 7th and a full day on Saturday, Jan 8th.

Please let me know if you will attend, also would appreciate your input on specific subjects/topics you want to address.

Ed.

beacon14
09-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Ed,

I'm marking the calendar as we speak. Count me in, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

David B.

andrewm
09-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Add me to the list of Georgia shops. We moved up to Alpharetta a few months Ago. I am marking the Camp on my Calander.

Andrew
Adventure Furniture, Inc.

paul_n
09-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Ed,

I also am marking the calendar. Will be happy to help out where you need it. I'm in Cartersville, just up the road from you. Am getting realy to head out to John Forneys camp this weekend, and would like to talk with you when I return.

Paul Nielsen

ed_conley
09-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Paul, Andrew, David & Rob:

I have each of you down on the list and look forward to having you at the camp. Will be in touch with each of you later about specific ideas or issues you want addressed at this camp.

Ed.

weslambe
10-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Mississippi isn't too far away from you so I think I can make it. Maybe I can show off my cabinet door software while I'm there.

Wes

ed_conley
12-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Looking forward to having all of you who have responded at the January 7th - 8th, 2005 Camp Shopbot in Marietta, GA.

It looks like we will have at least 10 at the Camp. I'm having one of the local tooling manufacturers come by and address issues, questions about bits and uses. Planning to have him there for about an hour, but based on your interest, may ask him to stay longer or shorter. Please give me some feedback.

Let me know if there are specific issues you want to address at this camp and will plan to address them with SB expertise or from the group.

If you want to bring something to show, please do so. If you have any drawings, pictures, etc. that you want to put into a powerpoint, just email me the info and we will get it set up for you to discuss.

Look for more information on this posting and over the course of the next month you will get email notification and confirmation from me. Don't hesitate to contact me with questions.

Ed.

billp
12-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Ed,
Any tentative list of topics yet?

rustnrot@comcast.net
12-09-2004, 02:14 PM
I would like to attend. I am coming from Augusta, GA. Please keep me informed as this unfolds.

beacon14
12-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Ed,

How about a tentative schedule, and/or a list of topics to be covered.

Looking forward to it..

David

weslambe
12-31-2004, 10:18 AM
I talked with Ed yesterday and I'll be there to give a small dog and pony show on DoorBot cabinet door software and how you can make money with your ShopBot using it.

I am looking forward to seeing more 'Botters and sharing info and tips.

See you soon,
Wes

ed_conley
12-31-2004, 11:20 AM
Here is info on the upcoming Camp in Marietta, Georgia. These are Word documents. Let me know if you have any trouble downloading.

ed_conley
12-31-2004, 11:26 AM
Let's try this again. I will attach four documents in four different posts.

These have been converted to html file documents.

Again, let me know if you have any trouble downloading.

Ed.
Notes
Camp ShopBot Notes.htm (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/Camp_ShopBot_Notes-5818.html) (9.9 k)

ed_conley
12-31-2004, 11:28 AM
Here is the Agenda.
Agenda
Camp ShopBot Agenda.htm (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/Camp_ShopBot_Agenda-5821.html) (10.8 k)

ed_conley
12-31-2004, 11:29 AM
Here are the Directions
Directions
Camp ShopBot Directions.htm (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/Camp_ShopBot_Directions-5824.html) (7.7 k)

ed_conley
12-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Here are some hotel-motel listings, there are plenty more in the area if these don't suit you.
Hotels
Camp ShopBot Hotels.htm (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/Camp_ShopBot_Hotels-5827.html) (12.2 k)

ed_conley
12-31-2004, 12:52 PM
A question was raised about the show & tell segment. If you have something that you want to bring that relates to another agenda item, please bring that too. We do have people that will present on that agenda item, but anything you want to add to the discussion or show to the group, please bring it along. Also, if you want to make a short presentation on something other than the Agenda items, there will be time to fit it in. Just get me the info before Jan 8th.

Ed.

ed_conley
12-31-2004, 02:19 PM
So that I'm not answering each question singularly through emails, I'll post the q and a here.

No, it is not too late to sign up for the camp and Yes, we can handle more participants.

Ed.

dirk
01-09-2005, 12:10 PM
I would like to thank and Ed for his great hospitality in hosting this year’s camp.
I feel everyone attending had a real good time. I was really surprised at how many shopbotters were in my immediate area, especially Ed, only 15 minutes away, small world.

One of the highlights was touring one of Ed's neighbor’s facilities – All Form Tools. The company manufactures solid carbide end mills for the metal working industry. We were given a demonstration of a 7 axis-grinding machine in action turning a straight carbide end mill into a ball nose in about 15 minutes. Ed has used there tooling on wood with great success.

Ed especially likes the durability of the mills when he cuts into his hold-down clamps.

Also thanks to Shopbot for all the goodies, Beer and food.
I thought it was a great camp

Dirk

weslambe
01-09-2005, 05:34 PM
It was a pleasure to meet everyone at Ed's shop. Special thanks to Ed and Shopbot for all that they did.

I agree with Dirk on All Form Tools. Kudo's to all of the DoorBotters there too.

I would like to thank Dave Patterson of Birmingham for bringing his cabinet doors for my part of the dog and pony show and Grant for letting me use his dvd player.

Thanks again,
Wes

paul_n
01-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Ed & ShopBot:

Ed, thanx for hosting a great "1st Annual" camp.
I had a great time, and enjoyed meeting all the ShopBot'ters that attended.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you !!!

Paul Nielsen

andrewm
01-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Ed,
Thanks for putting in the time to bring us all together. I had a great time and really enjoyed meeting everyone there.

Andrew McClary