PDA

View Full Version : Kent Dust Shoe - Which One & Special Needs?

gerryv
12-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Hi all,

I'm about to order a Kent Dust Shoe and accessories and wondering if I'm okay to order their standard unit for use with an HSD 1073 Spindle 75.3mm or if I need to custom order for some reason.

Also, has anyone found a way to mount one of these, perhaps sideways, so that the air drill attachment could be left on?

Thanks much,
Gerry

Shopbot Buddy BT48 alpha with 12" Z axis
2', 4', 8' Powersticks
Shopbot 6" Indexer
Shopbot Air Drill Attachment

adrianm
12-18-2014, 05:00 PM
For the 2.2hp HSD spindle the 2.95" one is the correct one. Best thing I ever bought for my 'Bot. It's worth getting both brush lengths and the spacer plate unless you use bits that are always the same sort of length. There is a bit of adjustability by sliding it up and down the spindle nose but it's easier the other way.

You can rotate it any angle around the nose of the spindle so you should be able to clear the air drill without too many issues. You'll probably have to make up some bracketry to hold the hose but you'd have to do that anyway.

gerryv
12-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks Adrian,
I should have mentioned that my spindle is the 3Kw/4hp HSD but I'm quite sure they both have the same diameter head.

srwtlc
12-18-2014, 05:04 PM
It's a no go with an air drill on a PRS machine. Can't go forward, backward or towards the Y motor and if towards the rail, it will hit the middle leg and possibly the end legs at each end of the table a little.

gerryv
12-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Okay, thanks Scott. I don't expect to use the drill much if at all anyway so not a big concern. Good to know though.

gerryv
01-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Got my Kent Dust Shoe and accessories. Very solidly built. It makes for a dramatic improvement so a good investment. Thanks for the help.

Simops
01-02-2015, 02:19 AM
I've got the 2.2 Hp spindle and on Kent's recommendation I got is to select the HSD1073 Spindle 75.3mm on the drop down menu.

Cheers

ntraub01
01-02-2015, 08:39 AM
By no means is this suggestion cheap or easy...I'm having a new mounting bracket fabricated for an air drill.

Yes, it bumps everything out a few inches farther than the stock mount, and yes I will probably not be able to drill at the far end of my workspace BUT, the alternative is not attractive either.

We needed both an air drill and the Kent dust shoe. On the backside of the gantry we have a small shoebox size HeNe laser tube transformer mounted and over the past year we've had numerous close calls when the dust collection hose has actually snagged on the transformer case while the spindle was traversing back and forth on the Y axis. It was an occasional problem but occasionally it was a HUGE problem and one that we needed to be solved.

I don't have the bracket in-house yet but it should work great once we get it and all of the other pieces and parts installed. It is modeled after the stock mount but instead of cutting all of the voids in the metal we opted to make the entire thing out of aluminum.

Will post pics when it is all assembled!! Keeping our fingers crossed!!

gerryv
01-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Very much looking forward to seeing that Nicholas. No easy feat considering the complexity of your setup. Your graphic design skills will no doubt be a plus.