View Full Version : Drill attachment: air or electric?

Plyoboxwarehouse
12-21-2014, 01:28 PM
I am close to ordering a new PRSAlpha with an HSD 4hp spindle. I do cabinet work and will be processing a lot of sheet material, including drilling holes that are 5mm, 1/4", 8mm, 20mm, etc... I'm considering the air drill attachment, but concerned over the air consumption. My compressor is an 80 gal, 5hp, 12.8 scfm output at 90psi. The Shopbot air drill pulls 36 scfm (as shown on the installation instructions on the website) and I'm guessing drilling line bore, hinge holes and assembly holes in a nest will overload the compressor that I have - which isn't by any means small.

My question is, is there an electrical drill out there that can be installed versus the air drill? I've shopped the big iron machines that one can order with multiple drill heads and they are spun by electric motor, with pneumatics for raising/lowering the drills, I believe. Spinning a drill off of compressed air just doesn't seem very efficient. What are some other options?

Thanks for your input!

Kyle Stapleton
12-21-2014, 03:31 PM
I think you are miss reading something, we have a caftsmen that is half the size and it runs our drill fine and we have many full sheets of cab parts with 100's of holes

Also our drill is a single valve and all the new ones are dubble valves which use far less air.