PDA

View Full Version : Hang out with the cool kids in San Mateo!

bill.young
02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
We've had a bunch of fun as a sponsor and participant in our first two Maker Faires, especially since they are so different from the formal Trade Shows that we usually participate in. We really look at them as an educational event more than a sales event (though we never object to selling a ShopBot or two!), and a big part of that has been for Maker Faire attendees to have the opportunity to talk to local ShopBot owners and see what we do with these neat machines.

At the Austin Maker Faire, Wayne Locke, Mike Kelley, Don Chapman, James and JoAnne Gilliam, Rob Bell, Neville Stewart, and Grant Bailey helped us out in the booth and people really enjoyed being able to talk to them about what sorts of things they did. This worked out so well for everyone that we're looking for a couple of ShopBotter volunteers for our booth at the San Mateo Maker Faire on May 3rd and 4th...basically just to talk to folks about what you do with your ShopBot. We'll make sure you get fed and clothed (well...actually just a tshirt), give you some show-and-tell space to show off what you do, and guarantee that you'll have some fun and get a chance to meet some very interesting people. And we promise we won't monopolize your time...just a couple of hours is fine...so you'll still have plenty of time to see the rest of the Maker Faire.

If you're interested in hanging out with us in San Mateo, drop us an email at campshopbot(at)shopbottools(dot)com and we'll get back in touch with more details.

Bill

(edited to give correct dates)

dubliner
02-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Bill, I just noticed the Maker Faire is on the 3rd & 4th, is there a Shopbot gathering the day before? or is is Cocktails by the light of the Torchmate for insiders on the 2nd :-)

billp
02-19-2008, 09:36 AM
NEV,
We'll be having a " User Group" on the Friday (2nd)before the Maker Faire, similar to what we did in Austin last year. There will be more info coming in the next few weeks as they get their lineup established out in San Mateo.

bill.young
02-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry, I got the dates messed up. Neville is correct... the dates for the Maker Faire are the 3rd and 4th of May, with the User's Group on Friday the 2nd.

Bill

(I KNEW I should have gotten Palumbo to do this!)

gpari
02-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Bill said: "We'll make sure you get fed and clothed (well...actually just a tshirt)"

So, just to clarify... We SHOULD bring pants??

See you guys there!

bill.young
02-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Well....Martha made me promise that I wouldn't mention this, but May 2nd IS "No Pants Day"!

http://www.nopantsday.com/wp/

Bill

gpari
02-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Well that settles it, no pants. Should be an interesting weekend ;)

Gabe "Good thing the wife isn't coming this time" Pari

bill.young
02-24-2008, 06:56 AM
(Martha's going to kill me for this one!)

Bill

billp
03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Pants, or no pants the San Mateo,CA User Group/Maker Faire is fast approaching. For those coming in from out of town you can find hotel info on the Maker Faire web page; http://www.makerfaire.com/
The Crowne Plaza will be our "headquarters" again, but the User Group activities will all take place at the San Mateo Fairgrounds.
And remember, if you attend the Friday (May 2nd) User Group you will "earn" yourself a pass to the weekend ( May 3/4) Maker Faire. You MUST attend on Friday to obtain this pass, as there will be NO exceptions made...
We're still trying to get the full schedule squared away, but if you have attended any of these events before I'm sure you know that it will be time well spent...

iter
03-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Are any of you guys coming to San Mateo from the South Bay? I have an 8-foot piece (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/17997/28814.html?1205461564#POST64802) I'd like to bring with me (along with smaller pieces), but I can't fit it in my car (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/17997/26474.html?1205467535#POST64808). If any of you have space in your trucks and are coming up US-101 or I-280, please let me know.

Ari.

billp
03-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Actually we need to know WHO is planning to attend the San Mateo event ourselves as well ! As some of you saw last year there is a LOT going on at the Fairgrounds and we'll need to make appropriate plans for meeting rooms, lunch, promo materials, etc. SO with this in mind we'll ask that anyone planning to attend this year please drop us a note at; campshopbot@gmail.com (mailto:campshopbot@gmail.com) and let us know that you will be there.
We're trying to squeeze in as much as we can with the one day format we have this year. That's going to include the "grand unveiling" of the NEW 48" "Buddy" bench top unit, a short software session from Brian Moran of Vectric, and we'll have a number of Shopbot staff on hand to meet and greet you.
We're also issuing an "open call" to anyone wanting to bring in something for the "Show and Tell" session which is always a highlight at these events.If you have something to bring please drop us a note at the above address so we can be sure to set enough time aside for everyone...

chiloquinruss
04-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Any further updates on the San Mateo User Group meeting in May? Agenda etc. Thanks. Russ

billp
04-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Russ,
Generally speaking our "agendas"for events like a User Group are pretty loose...The event will run from approximately 9AM to 4(?) PM
As mentioned above the focus this year will be;

a.Having a group of Shopbot staff on hand to answer questions about the machinery and software.
b.Having Brian Moran of Vectric available to go over any Partworks info people are interested in.
c. Showing off the new 48" "Buddy" bench top unit, and a "full sized" PRS Alpha as well.
d. Exhibiting a bunch of local "Show and Tell"items
e. Getting the people in the area to start networking with one another.
f. And we're working with the "Sawdust Shop" to arrange a date at their facility so that we can hold a Full Camp in the Bay Area later in the season as well.
We still plan on spending the Friday (May 2) as "OUR" day, and then we'll turn people loose on the Maker Faire for the weekend...

chiloquinruss
04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Bill, Thanks for the update. << The event will run from approximately 9AM to 4(?) PM >> Where is it going to located, at the Fair Grounds? Which building? Sorry to be a pest but. . .
Russ

billp
04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Russ,
Yes it will in the San Mateo Fairgrounds again, but we're still waiting to get our booth /classroom locations from the folks doing the on site logistics. Once we get them confirmed we'll be posting all updates here on the forum.
A reminder to all those planning to attend, we'd really appreciate it if you could give us some indication of your intentions to attend this event. We need to organize a bunch of different things and it makes it SO much easier once we know how MANY people we are organizing for...Just drop us a note at- campshopbot@gmail.com (mailto:campshopbot@gmail.com) and tell us you plan to be there. Thanks !

billp
04-11-2008, 11:40 AM
San Mateo User Group/Maker Faire Update !!!
We’re starting to get the final details worked out for the event. We have now confirmed that we’ll be having our “User group” on Friday May 2 in the “Expo Café” at the San Mateo Fairgrounds. And for the weekend Maker Faire we will be located in the “Show barn”area.We’ll post a map of the Fairgrounds here, or on Shopbot’s web page shortly.
The user group will again be a chance for Shopbotters to bring in projects (or pictures of projects) which they have been creating with their machines. Unlike a Camp, or Jamboree where WE host all the sessions, this event is focused on the content coming from the people who own and operate Shopbots
Everyone will get a chance to discuss HOW they did their work, and then they can field any questions the group may have.
In addition we’ll have Ted Hall doing a session on the latest Shopbot projects in Durham.
Brian Moran of Vectric will be on hand to answer any software questions about Partworks, etc.
There will be a few of the latest Shopbots on hand, including the new “Buddy 48” bench top unit.
We’ll have a number of Shopbotters and staff manning our booth so there will be plenty of opportunities to meet people.
The folks from the Sawdust Shop (http://www.sawdustshop.com/ ) will be working with us as we cut out and distribute some of our projects, (and they will also be a future host for our next Northern California Camp Shopbot)
As mentioned in earlier posts if you attend the User Group we will have tickets for you to attend the weekend Maker Faire. But again these tickets are ONLY available to those who attend on Friday.
If you have not yet responded to let us know your plans we NEED you to do so promptly as we’re down to the final stages of ordering materials, food, etc. You can simply drop us a note at; campshopbot (at) gmail (dot) com to reserve your place. Hope to see all of you there!

billp
04-14-2008, 10:12 AM
But wait , there's more...
In addition to the above attractions we'll also have James Booth of Carve 3D, and Vectorart3D.com on hand to do a "Show and Tell" demo of HOW to use 3D files in a number of software programs.
This will be a great chance for anyone interested in getting up and running with 3D work, OR those who have specific questions about the process...
We're getting close to the event date and I will again nag those planning to attend who have not yet contacted us. If you have been to one of these
gatherings before you'll know how much prep work has to be done, so the more info we have, the better we can make preparations. You can use the e-mail address in the link above this one for your RSVP....Thanks !

billp
04-14-2008, 10:50 AM
User Group/Maker Faire Map !!!
Here is a quick map of our locations at the San Mateo Fairgrounds. The User Group will be in the " Expo Cafe " on Friday, and we'll be running the Shopbots over the weekend in the "(show) barn".

bill.young
04-17-2008, 05:04 PM
FYI, we're selling the tools that we're bringing to the Maker Faire and have just posted info in the "For Sale" Topic. If you're looking for a deal and will be in the area, check it out.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/show.cgi?tpc=11097&post=66669#POST66669

Bill

billp
05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
We're all just getting back from the event, and it was great! This year's event was so successful that there were multi mile backups on US 101 as people tried to get into the Fairgrounds on Saturday...!
Lot's of great Show and Tell stuff at the User group as well as some new announcements of the latest things coming up at Shopbot.
We had three machines running, including a new Buddy 48 with the power Stick option. And we spent the entire weekend cutting everything from bat wings rubber band racers to Precision Board skull and crossbones appliques .
I've posted the Blog at : http://campshopbot.blogspot.com/
and we'll get a bunch of pictures up on the Flickr page later today.

billp
05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Pix are posted!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/

bill.young
05-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Here's the information on the MOMA/MIT house project that I talked about at the user's group. Sorry it took so long getting it put together...I've been kind of busy!...but I'll add more when I get a few minutes.

http://cam.shopbotwiki.com/

Bill

bill.young
05-17-2008, 09:02 AM
And if you're interested in seeing how I laid the shop out for this job, I've done a Sketchup model of the building that shows the tool layout and uploaded it to their 3d warehouse.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=15a35f373df1f32a8fad370d6890ecd7

Bill