PDA

View Full Version : I-Phone Amo

phil_o
01-06-2015, 08:42 AM
I don't even own an I-Phone but I've seen a few versions of this amplifier. I decided to build one and give it to a friend who owns an I-Phone. I works as advertised; increased volume and nice tone.
I've attached a DXF file of the vectors. I figure that if anyone wants to make one they'll want to create their own toolpaths. The initial drawing is 1.5" x 3.5" x 8.5". I made the cuts with a 1/4" round nose end mill at .5" deep.
The concave recess is a 3D component .75" deep.
I'm thinking of adding megaphone type cones to see if the sound amplification is increased.
If you make any improvements please post them.

Phil

jTr
01-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Nicely done! Had the same thought a few times, but don't have an iphone, so never got around to it. Being a musician, I've made lots of types of speaker cabinets, but this is a completely different approach to acoustic reproduction.
Very cool.
Would love to see what a larger scale version would do for the acoustic properties (Bigger is always better, right?:D)

Thanks for posting the files, teacher!

Jeff

Plyoboxwarehouse
01-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Nice project! Looks a lot like the docking station for my iPhone!

I would suggest making the front plate thicker, body skinnier (by same amount) and put the screws on the backside. This would be pretty with a good finish. The screws in front would detract from the beauty of the wood. Nice prototype though.