PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Camp Shopbot !!!

billp
08-11-2005, 09:59 AM
We have locked in some dates with Mark Meggitt, (mark@foamcarver.com (mailto:mark@foamcarver.com)) who is located in Vadnais Heights, MN
The first Minnesota Camp will be held this October 21/22. Details such as directions, lodging info, etc. will be following shortly.

Don't forget the other Camps we have scheduled for the Fall 2005 season;
Kansas-Sept. 23/24
Ohio- Oct. 7/8
Maine-Oct.14/15
New Jersey- Oct28/29

Also we are trying to finalize dates for the following locations in 2006;
Orlando,FL
Phoenix.AZ
Austin,TX
Atlanta,GA
Ada,OK
Southern California
Washington State
Vermont
Canada
Central/Northern California

We welcome any suggestions or offers of a facility in other areas as well. This year some Camps will be including a second day for software training ( Part Wizard, Delcam products..). Please feel free to contact me for info about setting up a Camp near you....Thanks.

kivimagi
08-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Excellent. I'll be there.

Mark has a killer shop!

billp
08-11-2005, 03:03 PM
My apologies, I forgot to list 3 Rivers ,Michigan on the above Camp list. It looks as though we'll be doing that Camp in either late April, or early May, 2006
Atlanta,Ga. Camp dates are Jan.21/22
Austin,Tx. dates are now confirmed as Feb. 24/25.
Ada,OK Camp date is (tentatively)the third weekend in March.
More info to follow as we get feedback from our hosts..

jay
08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Fantastic, a Minnesota Camp I can drive to. I'll be there! Maybe we will see some of their 3D foam carvings - cool

walksonwater
08-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Count me in! This will be a good time for me to get my feet wet. Hope to attend the full two days.

billp
08-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Here is the address for Foamcarver, as well as a few local hotels;

Foamcarver
4270 Centerville Road
Vadnais Heights, MN 55127
651-778-2950

Hotels

Best Western
(651) 770-2811
1780 Co Rd D
Maplewood, MN 55109

Best Western
(651) 429-5393
4940 HWY 61
Whitebear Lake, MN 55110

Emerald Inn
(651) 777-8131
2025 E Co Rd D
Maplewood, MN 55109

billp
08-12-2005, 09:05 AM
AND a map.....

gerald_d
08-12-2005, 10:03 AM
AND a link to (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4270%2BCenterville%2BRoad%2C%2BVadnais%2BHe ights%2C%2BMN%2B55127&ll=45.070785%2C-93.056045&spn=0.100660%2C0.175146&hl=en) Google Maps (beta) with directions from nearly anywhere.

billp
08-12-2005, 10:55 AM
As with ALL mapping programs it wouldn't hurt to use more than one service for verification. I just "Google mapped" both my shop and house. The shop map was over a 1/4 mile off, while the house map was only one house away from being dead on...
As Google clearly states, this service is still in the Beta mode, so you might want to try a few alternative options before printing out the map and driving off...

rcnewcomb
08-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Where do we sign up?

billp
08-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Randy,
You can contact Mark from his profile info, OR directly from the Shopbot web page under the " Camp Shopbot" link...

gus
08-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Will be there.

rgustav
08-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Will also be there, live only about about 20 minutes away.

foamcarver
08-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi All

For all that want to attend the Minnesota Camp please email me with your name mailing address and phone number and the dates you will be attending. As we get more info we will update you. Looking forward to meeting all of you and having a great time in the process.

See you all soon...

Mark

jsfrost
09-02-2005, 09:08 AM
It should be an interesting camp. In addition to the Shopbot, Mark's automated foam hot wire cutter is fascinating to watch. The picture shows a just finished sign. Letters cut by Mark, finished and installed by Jim using a plywood template (originally packing for my Alpha.)
The lower sign is a product of the cumulative knowledge on the forum, with special thanks to Dale Kerr and Bill Palumbo.
Jim Frost

jsfrost
09-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Thought I did not send the above. Here's the picture, slightly cut off to avoid the 400 pixel width issue.

jsfrost
09-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I see there's no going back if the picture won't fit. And now I look like an idiot; familiar territory! At home Photoshop would fix things in a second. But here at work the photo editing tools are like removing screws with a hammer. I fixed the width, but it's at 28K. Later.

Jim

jsfrost
09-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Atlast I hope. The shrinkage makes things fuzzy, but It will have to do until I get the website running.

Jim

foamcarver
09-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Looks good Jim

Mark

foamcarver
09-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Hello Everyone

Just a note to inform all that are interested we’ll be holding the first Minnesota “Camp Shopbot” on October 21/22 at Foamcarver in Vadnais Heights, MN. This will be a 2-day event for anyone who may already own a Shopbot, OR if you are just interested in learning about Shopbot. This event is FREE!, coffee/donut breakfast, and lunch will be provided on both days. You may attend either day, or both depending on your personal schedule.

Topics covered have as yet to be decided, so I would like to get feedback from all out there, as to what you would like to see covered. Possible topics: Material hold down types, 3dSoftware, ShopBot Software, Coatings, and more. Any and all ideas welcome we will to cover as much as we can in these two days.

Please contact us with your intention of attending as soon as you can so we can be sure to have enough materials and refreshments for everyone. You can reply to either the host- Mark Meggitt at – mark@foamcarver.com (mailto:mark@foamcarver.com) 651-778-2950, or Bill Palumbo – baycraftdesigns@comcast.net (mailto:baycraftdesigns@comcast.net) 732-286-2700 (shop) / 732-895-3621 (cell)

jthelen
09-11-2005, 10:52 AM
A Minnesota event... I will be there.
Mark you got mail.

foamcarver
09-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Botters,

Here’s a short update for the Minnesota Shopbot Camp planned for October 21st – 22nd.

The planned topics that will be covered are vacuum hold down - uses of gaskets and pucks ect. hosted by Bill Palumbo, 3D software (ArtCam and others)Sculpt Nouveau has sent us samples of their products to try so we will be exploring the different coatings. We will have prize giveaways to those that attend. We hope you can bring some samples of what you are using your shopbot to produce - so with that said we will also be having a show and tell so bring us what you got.

I have a foam hot wire cutter and I will do a short demo on how it works and things we cut with it.

As the schedule comes together I will post more on the outline so stay tuned.

Currently we have 20 people signed up, if you plan on attending and haven’t let us know yet please drop me an email to let us know if you plan on attending. Also if wish to do a demo of your product which includes the cutting of your file let me know as soon as possible, I will need the file sent to me so it can be test run prior to the camp.

Mark more to come.....

foamcarver
10-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Hi All…

Just a note that our Minnesota ShopBot Camp is less than two weeks away October 21st and 22nd. We have a lot of cool stuff to explore and learn. Bill will be going over vacuum system types – Jim Frost also will show us what he does and we are open to hear from all of you on how you use your shopbot.

Looking forward to meeting all of you. Any questions just email me and I will get back to you with an answer.

See you all soon…

Mark

jsfrost
10-11-2005, 09:41 AM
I'll be showing how PW2 can be manipulated to produce an extruded curved shaped in Z along any arbitrary curve on the xy plane. Usually I would do this in Insignia, but I thought working with PW2 would be of more general interest. I'll show an example of a coved rocking chair previously done, with great care to fingers, on a table saw.

I will also have handout material prepared on how I prep and toolpath a lake contour map. There are enough lakes in Minnesota to keep the entire Shopbot communuity busy for many years.

I'm hoping that a few of my ideas are new to some, and that I'll leave camp with my methods improved by sharing.

Jim

rcnewcomb
10-12-2005, 11:23 PM
What time will things start on the 21st and what time will they wrap up on the 22nd?

jsfrost
10-14-2005, 10:24 AM
After much debate, I decided on a motel rather than commute home Friday night and back Saturday morning.

Many of the St Paul motels offer a free airport shuttle, and I have empty seats in my car. If anyone flying in would like a ride to Mark's place and back to their motel, rather than spend for a rental car and turn in with maybe 40 miles, drop me an email and we'll work the details.

Jim

foamcarver
10-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi All

below is a list of those that have emailed and are planning to attend October 21st and 22nd if your name is not listed and you plan to attend please contact me ASAP

Jim Frost
Jay Pollard
Randy Bicknase
David McNutt
Randy Nelson
Ryan Gustafson
Ted Gustafson
Jim Thelen
Michael Lickteig
Dan Klarner
Randall Newcomb
John Miller
Jerry Hicks
Bob Standard
Ned Wilson
Jack W. Johnson
and let's not forget Bill Palumbo

Looking forward to meeting all of you

Mark

office 651-778-2950
cell 651-442-2762
email: mark@foamcarver.com (mailto:mark@foamcarver.com)

foamcarver
10-17-2005, 02:06 PM
just a few short days till the Minnesota Camp gets going. The day we have been waiting for. Start time will be 9:00pm but I will have my shop open from 7:00am. We will be serving coffee/donuts for our morning nutrition. So if you want to arrive early you are more than welcome to do so.

Let the fun begin...

Mark

ron brown
10-18-2005, 10:02 AM
"We will be serving coffee/donuts for our morning nutrition". - Nutrituon or "fix"?

Enjoy - wish I could be there,

Ron

mikejohn
10-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Donuts for breakfast!
What happened to good old eggs,bacon,sausage,fried tomatoes, fried bread, black pudding and a cup of tea?
I also would like to be there.
............Mike

gerald_d
10-18-2005, 12:43 PM
I had some leftover spotted dick for breakfast at the UK camp.

jsfrost
10-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Mike,
What is black pudding? If I can find a recipe, we may have some to go with the doughnuts. With coffee, though, Tea is a taste I haven't acquired.

Jim

mikejohn
10-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Jim
Black Pudding, one of the great creations of civilised society, is essentially congealed pig's blood in a length of intestine.
Fried, of course.

Gerald, what sort of people have left over spotted dick? You might have saved me some.

..................Mike

jsfrost
10-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Mike,
After careful evaluation, I think doughnuts will go better. But speaking of great creations of civllized society, have you tasted lutefisk? Very popular with the Minnesota Lutherans.

Jim

rcnewcomb
10-20-2005, 09:20 AM
I'm convinced that some foods were actually created as "bar bets". i.e. "Oh yeah? Well I dare you to eat..." How else do you explain: lutefisk, haggis, chitlins, escargot, etc.?

mikejohn
10-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Who was the first brave guy who ate an oyster?
And where is Geralds praise of biltong?

robtown
10-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Who was the first brave guy who ate a Mountain Oyster?

rcnewcomb
10-23-2005, 01:55 PM
My thanks to Mark and Bill for an excellent Minnesota Camp Shopbot!

It was well worth my time.

billp
10-23-2005, 03:45 PM
The first Minnesota Camp Shopbot was a lot of fun. In addition to meeting many people from the Forum and previous Jamborees, we had some new owners, and quite a bit of variety in terms of how the group was using their machines.
Our host Mark Meggitt wowed the crowd by showing us his CNC hot wire foam carving machine, as well as a few other units specifically geared to foam carving and coating. The size of some of his "foam blocks" was way beyond the scale most of us could hope to work with on our current machines (96"by 48"by 48"...!), and yet the machine cuts incredibly tight curves and perfect corners.
We had some good discussions over the two days on everything from Sculpt Nouveau coatings, using Part Wizard to do certain 3D cuts,holding things down with vacuum, and how to market the products we make.
Mark and his family went out of their way to make it a very enjoyable two days, and I too would like to thank him for his gracious hospitality and efforts...
I have posted a few pictures from the Camp at; http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/55151609/in/set-1195008/
Next stop- New Jersey....!

jay
10-24-2005, 07:39 AM
A Big Thank you to Mark and all his family for being such great hosts for the Minnesota Camp last weekend. What a beautiful shop! What a great time.

To all those who presented ideas and samples you were a great inspiration, thanks for sharing. A special thank you goes out to Bill Palumbo who as always, was a great moderator. Great ideas, thanks Bill.

PS, Mark, as you can see I did finally make it home, between the deer (6 that decided against committing suicide by deciding not to jump infront of my car, and 2 that did commit suicide previously), rain and snow I made it around 10pm.

foamcarver
10-24-2005, 09:35 AM
The Camp was a great learning experience for us. I hope everyone got out of it as much as we did. Bill was a GREAT teacher and motivator.

Thanks to Bill and ShopBot for their time and for the food they supplied. This is a wonderful way for shopbotters to get together and potential botters to see what shopbot has to offer, I know I came away with many new ideas.

Looking forward to working with many of you down the road.

Glad to see you made it back in one piece Jay Call me when you get a chance.

Mark

jhicks
10-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Fantastic Camp. Great presentations, interesting people, and unlimited ideas. As usual, my head is spinning. Thanks to Mark,Shannon, Nikki, and Brendon for a great time and fascinating food for thought. Almost forgot to thank Bill but as usual he stirs the imagination and does some really cool stuff.
Sorry we had to leave early but my head would have exploded had we stayed for the Sunday session.

jsfrost
10-24-2005, 01:41 PM
I left camp in awe of what others are doing, and a little smarter. After seeing what a simple vacume pod can do, I have a prototype built and ready for gasket material to arrive.
Thanks to Mark, and Bill for the facility and organizing, and all who attended for sharing experience and ideas.

rcnewcomb
10-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Here are links for some of what was discussed during the weekend. Please feel free to correct or augment:
http://www.RJRstudios.com - low cost drum sanding ideas
http://www.masepoxy.com - fsc88 primer
http://www.alsacorp.com/ vacuum formed finishing materials
http://store.doverpublications.com/ books with CDs of DXF files
http://www.3dcncart.com 3D artwork
http://www.vectric.com V-Carve Wizard
http://www.sculptnouveau.com/ Metalic looking water based finishes & patinas

kivimagi
10-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Randall,

Thanks here is another, but its posted all over the board anyway:

http://allstaradhesives.com/