PDA

View Full Version : 3D Scan Case Study - Imagine Factory

Brady Watson
01-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Here's a little project I worked on during the later part of 2014. A good customer of mine is also a Mummer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummers_Parade), which is a local 'Philly thing' for those who don't know.

He sent me a hand-sculpted soft clay maquette which was laser scanned on all sides and then saved as a full 3D mesh. This mesh data was then pulled into software and digitally sculpted to add details and remove certain features. It was then machined in foam by ImagineFactory.com, painted and used by the "Gangs of Gotham" in the 2015 Philadelphia Mummers Parade.

You can see a video of the process & performance here. (http://youtu.be/-0BfXTOE0wQ) The grand finale was really well done! :D

(There's a link to the full performance with better quality in the vid description)

I am bringing some new technologies and capabilities into the fold to better serve my customers. I'll be giving a talk in April at McGrew's Aspire Camp about some of these things. I'm looking forward to seeing all my old friends and making new ones! 2015 is going to be a GREAT year!

-B

scottp55
01-20-2015, 06:50 PM
NICE Brady!!:)
Didn't really realize the size of it until the finale:)
Nice to see some of your work that you can post!
scott

Brady Watson
01-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks Scott. Yes - I will be showcasing many things this year. Lots of exciting stuff and many things nobody has ever seen before. In some cases, I don't show my work because of exclusivity/privacy for the customer - but in many cases it's just because I've had other things going on & just haven't had the time to update.

Thanks!
-B

angel and the bear
01-20-2015, 10:27 PM
That is huge! In creativity, aspect as well as scope, do you happen to know how many pieces were cut to assemble the final piece?

ssflyer
01-20-2015, 11:32 PM
That's incredible, Brady! Looks like the Mummer's have a lot of fun! :)

Brady Watson
01-21-2015, 07:38 AM
Hey guys - thanks. I'm not 100% but I think about 10 or so 12x48x96 foam blocks went into the creation of this piece. These guys do a lot of large scale theme type projects. Most of the time they just send me a soft clay model mounted on a board and then I scan if for them. In fact...I've been getting a lot of clay artwork from customers lately, which is fine because the scanners never touch the clay so the original surface quality is retained. If you pack it properly, the clay transports well. I get clay models from a customer in Hawaii on a regular basis.

It's always cool to observe people's reaction when they get their scan data and they get to see it on the screen in 3D and then scale it up or down and modify it using the sculpting tools. I always try to get across the idea that customers aren't so much buying a 'scan' as they are a dynamic digital mold that never wears out & can be 'remixed' into other derivative works forever.

I've done a lot of scans for new to CNC guys who realized that you just can't make a living carving things by hand...but need to get their hand-carved or sculpted ideas into a digital format. Lots of them owned their new machine for at least a year just sitting there frustrated and paralyzed because they weren't able to produce their own 3D stuff. The real joy for me is hooking people up with their own artwork in a format they can use to get a ROI on their CNC and to a greater extent, helping people to make their dreams come true. Frustration sucks. You don't have to figure it all out yourself. I can give you the file you need & push you in the right direction about how to use it.

-B

Mark Farris
01-21-2015, 08:39 AM
Nice work as always Brady. I was pleased to hear you will be at McGrew's this year and am looking forward to meeting you. I always respect your straight forward posts. I have a project in mind that will require scanning I'd like to discuss with you briefly at the camp, if I can steal a few minutes.

Thanks,
mark

Ajcoholic
01-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Brady,
I am not sure if you have ever seen any of my work here, and what sorts of things I do in my shop (you have never commented so I don't know if you bother to look or not) but I too would be interested in speaking to you at Mcgrew's as well.

One thing I make in particular, that I'd like to talk about scanning and costs, etc.

See you there...

Brady Watson
01-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Hey Andrew,
Yes, I have - You do beautiful work :)

It is going to be great to see you guys & compare notes.

-B

danhamm
01-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Big results and wow, I to am interested in your scanning, have been talking to some of the peddlers that sell from Russian and the Baltics, they are using some kind of a scanner to scan the old carvings and make files to sell, quite often without the authority to do so, Most of there output is worthless but the odd one can be worked on and made worth cutting, they some times show a pic of the original and when you get the file its nothing like it, shallow and featureless.
If you have any older landscapes files or heritage files I would be very interested.
Or maybe we can snuck you into one of the museums for a couple of hours.

Brady Watson
01-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks Dan. There is more to come, I just have to chunk it all down into manageable bits to tell the story.

I don't really have files to sell per se because all data belongs to my customers. They send me their hand crafted model, it gets scanned, data sent & model shipped back.

Early on, before there was 3D clipart, I thought about scanning & selling files like you see on so many sites today. However, you can't just go around scanning things or copying an artist's work without permission, for financial gain or otherwise. Pesky things like scruples and ethics enter into the equation.

So...needless to say, the scan data belongs to the customer. They breathed their life into the carving or sculpture...I simply translate it. I have done some scanning for museums & 'institutions' - so this is a possibility.

-B

kevin
01-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Brady That's cool looks amazing .Its great that you found a niche how do do they find you ? Its not every day someone says lets get a scan i guess you have to cover a lot of ground

Brady Watson
01-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Brady That's cool looks amazing .Its great that you found a niche how do do they find you ? Its not every day someone says lets get a scan i guess you have to cover a lot of ground

I do cover a lot of ground, although I try to stick to the interesting/weird stuff. I'll let the engineering firms scan the bridges and camshafts. I like the artistic stuff. I've done scans for customers from Alaska to Ireland. Gotta love being able to ship things pretty much anywhere these days!

Yes it is every day that someone says, "Let's get it scanned" - This is what I do for a living...:)

I have a lot of repeat customers that keep the ball rolling, but many of you have referred me to new customers - so a big "Thank You!" to you guys for that.

-B

Ajcoholic
01-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Can you scan any material? Wood. MDF etc? Does the surface need to be a painted finish or does it not matter?

Brady Watson
01-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Yes. Any material - Wood, metal, plastic, organic materials, etc.

Most things do not need to be coated, but if the part can be painted a light homogenous color it results in a better scan. Because light reacts differently on light surfaces than dark surfaces, parts that are zebra-striped with high contrast color differences can be tricky...but there are ways around this. Glossy, reflective, clear and diffuse (black rubber) parts need to be at least dusted with something to get a good surface to scan. This is the nature of non-contact optical scanning.

-B

scottp55
01-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Just curious Brady, HAD considered sending a Circa '60's "Piece O' Eight" Coin replica to you for scanning 1 side for a button. Some Verdigris, some shiny after all these years of handling. How does something like that scan?
Like I said JUST curious.
(shame Aspire is beyond us this moment---Good opportunity to properly age some eggs and tomatoes for your presentation----NOBODY would mob and beat to a pulp a Gimp in a wheelchair wearing GLASSES!! Would they?:( :) )
Good thing you're 250 miles away!!!:)
scott

Brady Watson
01-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Actually, coins scan quite well in high definition. Something you just can't do on a consumer type scanner. Can you see the engraver's mark at the bottom? This is a screenshot of the actual 3D data - not a photo texture dog & pony show like you see in so many consumer scanner advertisements.

http://www.ibild.com/images/LaserQuarter.jpg

You don't need Aspire to machine your button. As part of your ShopBot purchase you received PartWorks3D, which is essentially Cut3D. This can take in a 3D mesh (STL, OBJ, DXF, 3DS etc) and from there you can scale it, create roughing, finishing and profile toolpaths to machine your part.

Yes, Aspire is a wonderful program for doing 3D work, but ownership isn't necessary to machine scanned parts. Also, I can make derivative works or modifications to your original model for you as an added service & give you the original & modified 3D file that you can use in PW3D. Later on if you do upgrade to Aspire, the same data can be imported and used to your heart's content.

You don't need to invest in an expensive scanner & learn it's frustrating limitations...You don't need to invest in expensive CAD/CAM and climb the steep learning curve...You send the part, it gets scanned, you take the file & concentrate on what you do best in your business.

Time is money...how much time/money are you or would you be spending floundering & trying to 'save' money by doing it yourself? That's an important question worth pondering, unless you believe your time is worth nothing.

-B

Ajcoholic
01-24-2015, 12:02 PM
I'd like to make up components for one of my chairs (one arm, one back and front leg, one spindle/slat and possibly the seat) and get them scanned so I can fool with machining completely the components on my Buddy.

My idea is to take a chair that takes me between 30 and 40 hours per unit, and take that down to perhaps 2 days (say 12 to 15 hours) of hand time - effectively using the CNC to machine components that I would normally band saw and hand shape on my edge and drum sanders, and with hand tools.

I already eliminate several hours by carving seats on my router. I know I can do 2 sided machining to do other parts that normally take me a lot of time. But I haven't the time to spend probing. And my Aspire skills are not up to that level.

The most time consuming parts are the joints and I think if the components are done accurately and a good scan done, then all I would really have to do is final sanding after machining and assembly.

That is what I'd like to discuss at the camp with you.

scottp55
01-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Thanks Brady, (Obiwan or Yoda are optional)
Yes it would be PW3D as we have 2 machines to upgrade.
Good to know about coins, and that options are available to preserve detail when Z is changed independently to avoid "Flattening".
"Time is Money" very good point! But irrelevant in my case as I get paid nothing and incapable of doing this stuff now anyways:)
Mainly looking for "Unique" that nobody else can offer in "Niche" Markets, by paying $26 for a VectorArt3D file.

scottp55
01-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Brady,
Not quite sure of where "State of the Art" IS!
Can you define scanning problems of common household items, the way I do "wheelchair accessibility" problems? i.e. "No problem" "let me think about it--Do-able", "No ******G Way" ?
Especially thinking the Antique Firearms people who are asked to make a New Stock for one that their grandmother snapped on a staircase in a "Pique" like my G,G,Grandfathers Parker that was redone in Walnut in the '40's and cost Beaucoup bucks to redo as Depression was coming to an end and made my Dad go hungry!
5'th axis work---Do you get much like this?
Sorry for being a pain, NOT a $$$ customer. Just trying to grasp current day tech.
scott

Brady Watson
01-24-2015, 12:55 PM
The most time consuming parts are the joints and I think if the components are done accurately and a good scan done, then all I would really have to do is final sanding after machining and assembly.

That is what I'd like to discuss at the camp with you.

It is an absolute time saver. Once you create your master components and have them scanned, you have a digital archive of your parts that can not only be used for CNC production, but as a basis for other parts with the same motif. Furthermore, it is also possible to use the digitized data as a basis for creating a parametric solid of the original to stretch or scale it dynamically. There's some work involved with this on the customer's end, but it is certainly doable.

This is a classic master/apprentice scenario. You = the master; CNC = apprentice. CNC roughs it out and finish machines it, you add your masterful touch to finish off the piece with character. This eliminates the 'plastic' look of cheap import pieces and preserves the 'music' that you breathed into the piece.

If you want, bring some parts with you & I can take them back with me. That'll at least save you some shipping.

Mainly looking for "Unique" that nobody else can offer in "Niche" Markets...

You nailed it, Scott. While there is a time & place for clip art, it doesn't separate you from any other Joe with a CNC router. When you take something that you whittled, carved or sculpted by hand - it is 100% yours. Completely unique. Being able to replicate your original expression via digital fabrication is how you make money & a name for yourself. The possibilities are practically limitless.

Missed your 2nd post while typing....Yes, everything you show I have either scanned that type of thing or can. The crystal will have to be coated in order to prevent light penetration & depth inconsistencies...but it's all doable.

-B

scottp55
01-24-2015, 12:55 PM
And more:(
Ignore If you're busy.

scottp55
01-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Oh, was wondering about Ethics on 100+ yr old artistic , unique stuff?
AND, thing like my GGGpa's shotgun?

scottp55
01-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Oops, Stomping:(
GOOD on crystal as many mines have closed down and all are collector pieces now. MANY just like the unique crystalline structure they will NEVER see again(ie Elmwood,TN Golden Calcite , "Fishtail".
If it can do that, then Andrew's gorgeous custom arms, legs and Maloof's should be doable.
Thanks! Ignorant on this stuff, and very nice to know for the future:)
scott

Brady Watson
01-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Yes - all those things you show can be scanned.

Ethics - I will not scan anything that has patented or copyrighted marks stamped on it, without permission from the proper owner. Customers have been pretty good about this over the years and were able to obtain proper documentation/permission from the owner for digital replication. The same ethics apply to iconic things like Coke bottles etc. We all know right from wrong, as well as what constitutes fair use and what is stealing.

Most things that are sufficiently old, aka antique, are safe to scan, although you should check to make sure that it is no longer patent/copyright enforceable. Wooden rifle and gun stocks of that vintage are pretty much fair game, since most customers want to make modifications to the original anyway & the only specific data is where the receiver & guts go.

-B

scottp55
01-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks Brady:)