PDA

View Full Version : Cutting on an angle

Adam Buchwald
02-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Hi Forum,

Im new to this and have been cutting parts for musical instruments on my shopbot desktop. Ive been working on an electric guitar neck that i am fixturing diagonally because it wont fit on the X axis. Picture attached of drawing. Ive cut a few samples and then a few out of maple and it seems that its not cutting even on both sides and alignment issues are off when the model is exactly on center. Im designing the model on Rhino and then machining it with Rhinocam.

Has anyone had problems running tool paths diagonally?
Losing steps?

Should i fixture it on the Y axis running half off the machine?

Thoughts?

srwtlc
02-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Where is your x and y 0,0 located in your design? Best to have it in the center of your material/blank (and use the machine to make the index holes in both the blank and the spoilboard). If it's at the corner of your material and your blank isn't dead on accurately sized, when you flip it, it will be slightly off.

Depending on your feedrate (too high), you could loose steps.

Adam Buchwald
02-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Scott,

That is a great idea. I have never thought of that-

I am zeroing at the corner of the table, using the program that came with the machine.

I have locating pins in the spoil board that i put the vacuum jig on, which has the same holes drilled from the machine.

I am machining the back of the neck first and drill the tuner holes and the holes in the heel of the neck, i then flip it over, on the same fixture, and have locating pins for the tuner holes and heel holes. I thought this would work but maybe ill try it the way you said.

The same profile cut does not come out the same on the piece and the fret slots are sometimes off, as is the center of the barrel after doing the top.

Please explain losing steps with a high feed rate?

curtiss
02-01-2015, 02:56 PM
For many files, using the 0,0 point as the "middle of the material" on the table has its advantages. Should be difficult to get "lost" with that setup.

I have some keyhole slot files for hanging items set to 0,0 in the middle of the material.

Of course you can still mess up and rotate the material 90 degrees off from the direction it is supposed to go which I have done a few times....
Where do you get the "math" to locate the fret locations ?

Adam Buchwald
02-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Stew Mac has a great free online calculator for fret slots
http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator.html

I wish i could go in to the shop today and try this out but its a snow day here in VT and the kids are home, maybe they can come and play with the CNC

Joe Porter
02-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Adam, maybe this tutorial on the Vectric website may help. Scroll down to D 08 http://support.vectric.com/tut-vcp-2d-techniques hope this may be of some help.....joe