PDA

View Full Version : Changeable Sign Board

MogulTx
02-08-2015, 09:36 PM
My Mother in Law- the family matriarch- does a lot of pecans and pralines that she sells at the local Farmer's Markets. She has been using a whiteboard as her sign and pricing. For obvious reasons, she has to re-do the sign pretty frequently because of the dry erase ink rubbing off with regular handling I am sure there are nicer or more creative designs... but I thought I would model her sign and put it into wood, so it would look more permanent and intentional. I also figured I would put all the "plates" on with magnets so she can remove them if she is not selling a particular item at that Market. And the same with the prices so she could change prices relatively quickly. So here is my prototype in Pine. I will probably go back and do one in Maple if she likes this well enough. I also painted the name and all. I may well do a dark wood inlay if she is receptive.

All parts are held on with 2 ea, 7mm x 2mm rare earth magnet sets. I have milled it so that I can put in a total of four sets, if need be. I am going to let her work with it and see if she likes it before I go out and get wild on this...

scottp55
02-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Heck of a lot "Classier" than a white board! :)

gene
02-08-2015, 11:54 PM
What's wrong with that one? I bet that one will sell just as much as a maple one will

MogulTx
02-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Gene,

Thanks. Nothing "wrong" with this one, but I would like to maybe have no knots in the field, like under her name and in product name below. It (knot) does add to the character of the piece, though...

There is little about it that I don't like. It turned out pretty nice ( IMO)

Monty

jerry_stanek
02-09-2015, 10:08 AM
The Knots give it a more character and a homier look to go along with what she sells.

MogulTx
02-09-2015, 06:25 PM
I think you are correct there Jerry. They do add that homey feel... A nice country touch...

dmidkiff
02-10-2015, 06:38 AM
Monty, I agree with all comments. This sign is just right for the job.

scottp55
02-10-2015, 07:24 AM
Same here Monty! It is definitely NOT "Broke" :)
How did the strength on those magnets work out?
Easy enough for old fingers to disengage? I was wondering if you had made any undercuts to act as "fingerpulls" or if there was enough tolerance built in from side to side to slightly disengage the magnets?
Obviously I'm thinking of something for my 80+ parents:)
(or even me when I get there:)
Great Job!
Like the "hockey stick" like support in the back! Probably not original, but I've never looked at the back of one of those signs this closely:)
scott

MogulTx
02-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Scott

The reason I only put two magnet sets per panel was to make sure 80 year old fingers would have no problems pulling them out. I could PROBABLY go to magnets at each corner. But these hold on and are not difficult to disengage.

I like the way you think. I had thought about undercuts, but decided to go with through-holes under the plates. There is no great prying strength required to push through the panel, and I was concerned about arthritic fingers... so there are two holes ( .75" dia) behind each long plate and one in the middle of each of the price plates, that will allow her to push the plate out from the back side at either end. The magnet at the other end ensures it does not tumble to the ground.

I dunno if the "hockey stick" idea is original or not. ( I call it that, too.) It was original to me- but a 1000 guys probably have done it before me. I was just looking for a shape that would closely abut the back of the panel when rotated, so it would act as a "stop" and prevent the sign from falling backward. BTW, I used a .5" oak dowel to act as the axel for that leg. It is a little bendy. Probably would use a 5/8 or 3/4 for any future project, just to make sure it is not flimsy.

She will use it for the first time this weekend, and I will ask her for some feedback. The one thing I am worried about is her ability to get it into her car and back out again, and to move it around comfortably.

We will see....

scottp55
02-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Monty, good idea on the through holes, but wondering if you couldn't expand on the idea and through pocket to cut weight. Likewise round corners? Every pound counts and less likely to "snag" stuff getting it into car.
Was also wondering if you had enough meat to cut something like my grab rail cutouts on the back braces that would reduce weight and be thick enough for her to get her fingers through comfortably. Just thinking off the top of my head.
Was Also thinking to secure hockey stick with a strap or something/ put a larger strap on the top backside, and adding wheels to the bottom of support so she could wheel it behind her like luggage?
No idea on how much you can relieve weight without affecting structural integrity, but even 5 pounds can make the difference between doable and NOT with me lifting stuff in the wheelchair and I cringe every time I see Dad lifting the wheelchair into the back of his pickup truck, so I remove the backpack and seat cushions beforehand and I can SEE the difference in his struggle. Sorry for the lousy pic of the Teak Grabs. Zoomed from old photo:(
NICE Job!!
scott

MogulTx
02-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks Scott.

I planed this all down so that it is only .5 thick. And same with support rails on back. It is so slight ( white pine) that it would bow under its own weight before the stiffeners were glued on. The rails are a little too narrow to put hand grips into. But I very much like the idea. I could afford to make the next one ( if I get that far) wider so the hand grips could go along the side. ( Just make it decorative and who would realize that is why I had done it?)

Strap is a great idea. May have to staple some Velcro to either side and have it overlap in the middle (or something). Willl ponder on that for a bit before I do anything.

I had considered screwing a solid or fold out type screen door handle near the top edge so she could pick it up and lug it that way. Need to do better than that.

scottp55
02-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Like I said I was just thinking. Kinda figured you had it reasoned out:)
Think you should probably let her use it once(while tossing every idea at her) and then have her toss the suggestions to YOU as if they'd been her invention:)
It looks GOOD, it's just I Like wheels on Everything!! :) (and I'm Lazy)
scott

hh_woodworking
02-10-2015, 08:41 PM
What about the handle on the long side made of nylon strap. Making it easier to carry without being so high in the air.

MogulTx
02-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Ed,

Not a bad suggestion. I should look and see how I might be able to put it onto the board. ( how one might attach it in a logical manner)....

Might be a very good addition.

Monty