PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Desktop

banjomanwv
02-13-2015, 07:50 PM
When I was X and Y zeroing today the machine started stuttering and grinding and made an awful sound. Then it was running fine and I had to manually move the X and it did the same thing, like it was running up against the end of its limits but it wasn't.

Brady Watson
02-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Check for debris jacked up in the bearing blocks. Have you been keeping these clean? Inspect the areas below each bearing block. Look carefully for the tell tale signs of balls being dropped from the blocks.

-B

scottp55
02-14-2015, 06:03 AM
Tim, Also check and blow out connections. Once it was a mouse and a keyboard that died days later. Once the USB connection to the computer had gotten snagged and Almost pulled out. And once a loose HDMI connection.
Good luck,
scott

banjomanwv
02-16-2015, 11:42 AM
I don't quite understand Brady, im new to all this and I don't know which parts those are....I will clean it up and get it all fixed up and clean and try running it again soon

scottp55
02-16-2015, 12:54 PM
Tim, Pretty sure these.
Brady, when the ex-machinist and I took it apart for Z-upgrade, we noticed 1 bearing in each block missing. We scoured the area and checked the just surfaced spoilboard(no grease mark anywhere) and never found them. How critical is it for ALL the bearings to be there? Only bearings in house at the time were bicycle bearings and not a perfect match so we re-installed as is.
Bad?
Anything to lose sleep over?
Thanks,
scott

Brady Watson
02-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Nothing to lose sleep over...but it's never a good day when you look under the rails and see balls laying underneath :eek: Keep an eye out for more...You can get replacement balls, but they can be hard to get back in. Keep the tool clean and when it comes time for maintenance, you replace the blocks. If you have it torn down that far - you just replace them.

These bearing blocks - even with the wipers on them - are susceptible to dust infiltration - so ya GOTTA keep the rails CLEAN - as in every single job. It is also a good idea to put some 'way covers' or guards in place to keep chips that make it past the dust foot from rooster-tailing chips against the gantry side and down on the rails.

I've replaced a few sets of these for customers who were absolute slobs - refusing to use dust collection and to properly clean/maintain their machines...one was cutting Corian and plastic with stone fillers...just BRUTAL on the machine.

Avoid using compressed air. Vacuum is the preferred method to clean them. Blowing air in there forces debris where you don't want it. Follow up with a terrycloth rag. Spritz some WD40 on the rag ONLY and buff them a little if you want some ongoing rust protection.

Take care of your machine & It will take care of you.

-B

scottp55
02-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks Brady, So much for cleaning with compressed air at same time I blow out spindle cone:(
Appreciated.
scott

scottp55
02-17-2015, 06:48 AM
Tim,
Did you get fixed up?
If so, say what it was.
If not we'll keep trying.
Bumped.
scott

banjomanwv
02-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Ive got some stuff to do in the shop, Ive got a new spindle sander, band saw and radius fretboard sander that I have never had the chance to set up and im doing that, when I get it done im going to get up and running again. This machine though has hardly been run at all and is virtually new. Clean as a whistle.

Brady Watson
02-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Well, If it is brand new, all fingers point to the computer and it's USB hardware.

I would first be sure to install the latest firmware via the UI command in SB3. This will put software for your specific version of SB3 on the outboard control card - so they can talk to each other properly. If this is not done, the machine can run choppy, like you mentioned.

You want to make sure that that computer running the Bot isn't all loaded down with software (bloatware) running in the background. Disable or uninstall any anitvirus including Windows Update and Defender. Keep in mind that the PC is part of the CNC controller - so anything else running will be competing with it & altering its ability to generate a clean pulse stream to the controller card.

While you can run the machine from a laptop or computer used for other tasks, many get a dedicated computer for the sole purpose of running the CNC. With Craigslist PCs dirt cheap - or even refurbished ones available online for not a lot of money, there's really no excuse not to have a dedicated PC.

My machines have SB3, VCarvePro, PartWorks3D, a PDF reader and nothing else. They run like a Swiss watch...

-B

banjomanwv
02-18-2015, 06:35 PM
I have a brand new Computer running it that's dedicated but it is full of stuff from the factory, ill uninstall all but windows and the SB stuff.

jerry_stanek
02-18-2015, 07:15 PM
if it is a dell computer you may want to put a USB add on card in it to hook your shopbot to. I have had a lot of trouble when my HP computer went down and I tried to use a couple of different dells

scottp55
02-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Don't forget to have every single powersaving feature/update checker/antivirus/windows update/etc. turned off Tim.
Good luck
scott

banjomanwv
02-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Guys, thanks for all your help, so far it seems to have fixed it, I tried all your ideas.