View Full Version : Surfacing gone bad

Lee Miller
02-20-2015, 11:33 PM
I got my Desktop this afternoon, got it all set up and successfully ran my first file. Yay!

I needed to run the surfacing routine and followed the instructions for using the "Table Surfacer" tool. I entered all the information for dck size, bit size, depth of cut, etc, and ran the zero routines for x, y, and z.

When I ran the file it created, it promptly cut half the depth of the spoilboard and into the first hex screw before I screamed and threw the switch.

I checked the file - all entries looked good according to the instructions. I decided to start over anyway and created a new file. This time I ran the preview and it clearly shows the toolpath cutting the full depth of the spoilboard.

Any idea what I've done wrong?

Please help.

Lee

adrianm
02-21-2015, 04:04 AM
You've zeroed the Z to be on top of the spoilboard and entered a negative amount for the cut depth?

What does the line that starts with CR in the surface_top.sbp file say?

scottp55
02-21-2015, 04:44 AM
Lee,
If you E-mail me(in my contact info), I just made a surfacing routine for the Guy with the brand new Desktop he got Weds. and I'll shoot you the .crv so you can look at it and compare settings in VCarve Pro.
Don't worry, did the same exact thing 17 months ago:)
scott

bill.young
02-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Usually when I've run across un-expected cut depths like that it's because I typed something like -0.2 instead of -0.02 for a depth input. It's happened more often than I'd like to admit!

Lee Miller
02-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Hi Bill and Adrian - thanks for getting back to me. Here's the full code, I think:

Runfile:
MZ,1
M3,0,0,1
SO,1,1
Pause 2
VC,1.25,,,,, 5
CR,24, 18, T, 1, 4,-0.01,1,2,1
SO,1,0
END
'
Runc2:
'Click OK to exit and Then use the C2 routine to zero the cutter to the machine bed, You can then run the Surfacing file from the location you saved it to.
Pause
END

Unfortunately, my Computer Science Minor from the 1980s is horribly out of date. Can you also advise where to go to learn this language so I can make sense of these files?

Lee

adrianm
02-21-2015, 04:13 PM
It's the CR bit that is doing the actual cutting. The cut depth is -0.01 which should be fine.

Bit of a mystery to me why you're getting the issue you are if you're setting the z-zero properly.

The Command Reference on the Help menu will explain what the code does.

Simops
02-21-2015, 08:00 PM
My first reaction would be - a Z zero issue! Double check that your bit is zeroed to the surface correctly. You can always check by tool pathing a simple square and run it to check if the Z zero routine is working correctly for you.

Let us know what you find out....

Cheers

frank
02-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Make sure that you have the correct default settings file loaded for the Desktop. If you need to reset click on the blue question mark and then click Rest Defaults.

Lee Miller
02-21-2015, 11:55 PM
Frank - I reloaded the default settings (ShopBot_PRSDesktop2418), as you advised, and ran the Surfacing Tool again. In preview it still shows it will cut to the metal deck.

I have designed and cut several parts yesterday and today. Other than this surfacing issue, I haven't had a single problem or glitch.

Still at a loss,

Lee

Kyle Stapleton
02-22-2015, 01:29 AM
I will send my tabletop file in the morning.

Lee Miller
02-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Thank you to everyone for your assistance. I now have a nice flat surface to work with, a bit more understanding of how things work, and a huge appreciation for the folks at Shopbot and in this forum.

Chazz
02-22-2015, 08:39 PM
So, what was the problem?

David Iannone
02-22-2015, 09:22 PM
had to be those darn decimal points?

just my guess? They sure get to me sometimes thats for sure.

Lee Miller
02-22-2015, 09:49 PM
I'm still not clear on what the problem with the file was - most likely it was repeated user error. I do know the file had the z zero set to the bottom of the material, though I don't know why. Frank walked me through creating the file again and, of course, it worked. He may have something more to offer as to the actual problem I was having.

Scott sent me a file I was able to run successfully as well and I learned a lot looking at the way he set it up.

David Iannone
02-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Great news Lee,

You bought the right tool, this forum will help as needed. If this is your first CNC there is a little learning curve, but man it is fun.

Dave

knight_toolworks
02-23-2015, 12:48 AM
just to make sure before I cut I type mz0 to check the hight of the bit if I am ever in question.