View Full Version : Vt camp 2006 pics of tool changer

randy_o
03-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi All

If you are planning to attend my camp, you should make reservations soon because that is the starting of graduation weekends. I will attach lodging information and adgenda. Hope to see all of you here.

Accomodations.doc (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/Accomodations-12242.doc) (15.7 k)

Agenda.doc (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/Agenda-12243.doc) (4.0 k)

harold_weber
03-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Randy sent me two photos to resize and post for him. I was hoping to see the tool changing station, and I've asked him if he can send a picture of it as well. If you zoom in on the close-up of the spindle, you can see just above the spindle there appears to be a Z-axis limit switch. I don't know if this is another un-advertised option from ShopBOT of if its an addition by Randy??
\image1
\image2

harold_weber
03-15-2006, 10:15 PM
OOPS, they were still too big to post -- had to cut them a little more, here they are.

harold_weber
03-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Randy just informed me the toolholders are below the spoilboard at the right end of the table. Now the reason for the longer Z axis is clear!! Here is a zoom on that area before resizing to get the best resolution.

van (Unregistered Guest)
03-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I think the tool changer is a great idea , I just think that the backs of those bits look awfully exposed to the elements. I expect that too much dust on the back of the bits would upset things inside the tool socket. I also tend to bump into things, I'm like a bull in a china shop at times, and those bits look like teacups on a shelf.

randy_o
03-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Van

Being a bull in a china shop, like myself, those holders really hold on to those bits super tight. As far as collecting dust up in the taper, it doesn't happen. The reason being - as the Z decends to it, the head actuates and blows air down onto the taper, continuing to blow until the bit is firmly seated and you don't use any type of lubricant on those tapers or they will seize tighter than a bear's butt.

Thanks

Randy

stickman
03-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Randy,

I don't want to know how you know the tightness of a bear's butt, must be somewhere in a spec manual.

Anyhow, how do you get the shopbot control software to change the bits. Is it something that you have had to add to each program or have you gotten special posting software?

Mind if I ask what the general cost for your set up is?

It would be a little bit more expensive to have the same Z-axis length and have the bits and the axis move together in order to change bits?

Looks good, StickMan

randy_o
03-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Jay R

Well if they did that they would be too many moving parts and it it would be more than a bit expensive. There are posts available for Part Wizard, I use Vector Cad and I just hand type in the lines of code that I need. If you have any more questions, ask away.

Randy

billp
03-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Randy has called me to point out that his Camp is the same weekend as a number of college graduations in the area. This means if you are going to the Vermont Camp and don't want to sleep in your car it might be a good idea to book a room ,NOW...
I also asked for basic tool changer info; it has a 6 tool capacity, and he is running a 6.8 HP spindle on the machine. Randy runs this unit with Vector software, although I believe a number of software packages will drive the tool changer. We'll post some pictures of the entire process during the Camp...

randy_o
04-19-2006, 08:15 PM
To all who are planning to attend Camp ShopBot VT - You will need to make reservations soon!!! Rooms are disappearing quickly. I just have received word that Whiteside Router Bit is sending their production manager to discuss cutting tools. His name is Todd Reece. Very exciting! Time is getting short - please let me know if you are coming.

Randy

randy_o
05-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi All

Just a little update. We just received news that Todd Reece will not be attending the camp - instead it will be Clark Whiteside who is the founder's son. One other thing, James Booth will not be able to attend, so if you have any suggestions of things you would like to cover, drop me an e-mail. If you haven't made reservations, time is running out!! Call or e-mail for good directions.

Randy

randy_o
05-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi All

The camp is just 7 days away! If you would really like to see that machine run - just drop me an e-mail an let me know you are coming. If you want to see a list of accomodations or the adgenda, it's posted in this thread. Just to update who's going to be here - Clark Whiteside of Whiteside Tool, Gordon Bergfors of ShopBot Tool, Bill Palumbo of ShopBot Tool and Greg from Western Tool. Hope to see you all here.

Randy

billp
05-21-2006, 09:25 PM
We've just posted some pictures from the Vermont Camp on the Shopbot Frappr page :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/150762742/in/set-72057594141464819/
In spite of some pretty soggy weather we had a good turnout with 'Botters coming in from Connecticut to Canada to see the automatic tool changer in action. Clark Whiteside of Whiteside Tools gave a talk on tooling, and Gordon Bergfors spoke about upcoming projects at Shopbot.
Many thanks to Randy Ouellette for hosting the event !

Towersonline
05-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks Randy, Bill P and Gordon. Great job as always. Impressive demo of the alpha and tool changer. It made quick work of the cases you cut!

Looking forward to next year.

Bill Thorpe