PDA

View Full Version : Forum Update - cont

Nancy
02-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Going from vBulletin 3.8 to 4.2 was a major upgrade and had to be done in steps. It seems to be working well now. Most importantly, all the posts, archives, images and links seem to be intact. Unfortunately one of the side effects was that a number of settings went back to default. The most obvious is the "look" - both the TalkShopBot customization and the menus/options shown. (If you are not a registered user, you can find instructions under the sticky at the top of the this topic.)

Check your personal settings by selecting >Forum >Forum Actions dropdown >General Settings.
I prefer to view the latest postings at the top of a thread and had to reset this option.
The opening view is now "What's New" > Activity Stream. Option to the right of Activity Stream is New Posts which should show new posts since you last read forum.
Your username now shows on posts instead of your real name. Contact me if you want to change your username.
Edit time is now 25 min.
You can add 4 images OR 1 video to post.

I will continue to work on the new "features" that came with upgrade. It's much easier now that the power, heat and water are back on!! My thanks and admiration to the crews that removed the downed trees and reconnected the power lines under hazardous conditions.

MogulTx
02-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks very much, Nancy! We appreciate the availability of the Forum a great deal! And having the direct instructions to return much of it to "normal" is awesome!

Monty

MogulTx
02-27-2015, 11:36 AM
WOW! That last sentence just JUMPED out at me!!! Gotta love the folks who keep us in utilities!

tri4sale
02-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Glad you survived the Carolina Blizzard of 2015! I have a friend near the SB headquarters, they lost power for 30 hours! House temp dropped to 47 degrees inside. Lucky me live only an hour from SB and had under an inch of snow, and its all gone already.

Lee Miller
03-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Will the Calendar be updated? I only see 2007-2013.

dlcw
03-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Also, the current project folder ends at 2014. I didn't see a 2015 folder.

Thank you!!!

ssflyer
03-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Any chance it will go back to displaying real names, instead of login names?

tlempicke
03-14-2015, 07:34 AM
Actually in this day of hacking and online stalking it would be good to have the choice. The owner of a business, for instance, has a real need to keep his information private!

Brady Watson
03-14-2015, 07:51 AM
Any chance it will go back to displaying real names, instead of login names?

You have to send Nancy an email request to get your name changed. That's what I did. Why it doesn't default to real names anymore is lame. A hallmark of this forum is that you use real names.

-B

Nancy
03-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Folder 2015 has been added in Virtual Show and Tell.

Displaying login or user name on posts is a new "feature" of this software version. There doesn't seem to be a way to change it. However, I will change your login name if you send me a request to do so. If you use the forum's PM, it's easier to identify you. Changing your login name will not affect your forum ranking or number of posts attributed to the user.

Calendars aren't used so link has been removed. Info on TJ's training sessions and Camp ShopBots are posted under the Camp ShopBots/User Groups/Training Classes (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Camp-ShopBots-User-Groups-Training-Classes) topic.

Ajcoholic
03-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Actually in this day of hacking and online stalking it would be good to have the choice. The owner of a business, for instance, has a real need to keep his information private!

Im a business owner. ALL my info is available on line through the yellow pages, my website, numerous on line business listings etc.

What possibly could someone do by knowing my real name when used on any Internet forum? I've always used my real name on every Internet forum I've been a member of, eBay etc.

Nothing you can't find freely by searching for me or my business...

Lee Miller
03-14-2015, 06:22 PM
I saw that the calendar had been update for 2015 and included the GA event. I thought it was a nice feature - one place to quickly find events without having to search through a thread. I'm sorry to see it go.

David Iannone
03-14-2015, 08:58 PM

In this day and age I want people to know my real name and the name of my business. Also working on building my company utube channel, new logo design and also new website in the works.

Dave

Joseph.fm
02-16-2016, 05:39 AM
Thanks you so much you clear all the matters which i have think thanks you ..How much post i can maximum do because i ha ve to spend a lot of time here !

joe
02-20-2016, 05:16 PM
A belated thank you to Nancy for keeping the forum in good shape.

The topic of posting Real Names as opposed to AXYZ for an identification still puzzles me. Those of us wanting to build a business or to be identified by our work will do best with a real name. I'm with David I. and Andrew C. on this topic. By using a fake name you'll be less likely to get generous replies to questions. I for one seldom assists with questions from those who hide their real identity.

I would also suggest more photo's of work done with Shopbotters postings. A snapshot will do more to explain a problem or accomplishment than many words.

Xray
02-20-2016, 05:30 PM
Im a business owner. ALL my info is available on line through the yellow pages, my website, numerous on line business listings etc.

What possibly could someone do by knowing my real name when used on any Internet forum? I've always used my real name on every Internet forum I've been a member of, eBay etc.

Nothing you can't find freely by searching for me or my business...

Good thing your name isn't Al is all I can say !

I first started posting on the usenet a decade + ago, there using an alias was mandatory, no one used their names. So that habit carried over with me into forums, but I agree aliases do appear a bit tacky in forums like these.

I just try to strike a balance between what I am used to and trying to appear a serious individual in a serious forum by simply putting my name in the sig line. Then, people can either call me Xray or Doug Kramer and I'll respond to either.

gc3
02-20-2016, 06:08 PM
A belated thank you to Nancy for keeping the forum in good shape.

The topic of posting Real Names as opposed to AXYZ for an identification still puzzles me. Those of us wanting to build a business or to be identified by our work will do best with a real name. I'm with David I. and Andrew C. on this topic. By using a fake name you'll be less likely to get generous replies to questions. I for one seldom assists with questions from those who hide their real identity.

I would also suggest more photo's of work done with Shopbotters postings. A snapshot will do more to explain a problem or accomplishment than many words.

gc3 is me...but real name is Eugene Beaufort Crain III...

chiloquinruss
02-20-2016, 08:28 PM
I also like when someone takes the time to fill out their profile to include their location and if they are a company a link. One of the very special reasons I bought a ShopBot is this forum and also the way the company treats us all as family. Also what we say on another forum that I hang out at is, "IF THERE ARE NO PICTURES IT DIDN'T REALLY HAPPEN!" :D

Russ

joe
02-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Russ,

You make me laugh. I understand it takes extra time to gather photo's and post them but it's helpful for all of us. When I'm in a critical mood I try to underscore my point with photo's or illustrations. But It does take extra time. I encourage everyone to do their best.