PDA

View Full Version : reversing machine direction.

simon
02-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Hi
I need to change the HOME position from the south east to the north west of my elderly shopbot PRT (pre 2004 model) - (I do not have enough room to physically rotate the whole machine!)
Can anyone tell me of a simple way to accomplish this?
Thank you all :)
Simon.

Brady Watson
02-28-2015, 04:46 PM
The proper home location on your machine is actually South-West (bottom left when standing in 'front' with the long X axis going left & right), just like the upper right (+,+) quadrant of a cartesian grid. You can clock the gantry 180 to make it North-East when standing at the same point...around the other side, it will be South-West.

4-wire PRTs only (not 6-wire PR) - WITH THE CONTROL BOX OFF...You can also, swap the green and black wires in the connector to reverse motor direction. You would have to do this for BOTH X motors. Y motor if it is running the 'wrong' way. If running SB2, this is your only option. If running SB3, sign the VU for that axis with a (-) negative sign in front of the unit value to reverse. You only need to switch wires in ONE of ANY Wago connector. f - shaped Wago tool makes it a quick job. Again...Make sure that control box is OFF and left to sit (drain down power supply & capacitors) for 5 full minutes or you WILL smoke a motor driver.

-B

simon
02-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Two minus signs.
Too easy!

Geographical north west lol!

Thanks Brady;

You are a breath of fresh air!

The proper home location on your machine is actually South-West (bottom left when standing in 'front' with the long X axis going left & right), just like the upper right (+,+) quadrant of a cartesian grid. You can clock the gantry 180 to make it North-East when standing at the same point...around the other side, it will be South-West.

4-wire PRTs only (not 6-wire PR) - WITH THE CONTROL BOX OFF...You can also, swap the green and black wires in the connector to reverse motor direction. You would have to do this for BOTH X motors. Y motor if it is running the 'wrong' way. If running SB2, this is your only option. If running SB3, sign the VU for that axis with a (-) negative sign in front of the unit value to reverse. You only need to switch wires in ONE of ANY Wago connector. f - shaped Wago tool makes it a quick job. Again...Make sure that control box is OFF and left to sit (drain down power supply & capacitors) for 5 full minutes or you WILL smoke a motor driver.

-B

Joshua Revkin
10-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Hey Brady, if trying to reverse the Y axis motor on a PRS Alpha (which I am trying to make the x), which wires should I swap? Changing to Yaxis being the long direction and 0,0 being the front left looking down the long axis of the machine to reflect our new DMS machine we just got. Sapped the x and y outputs in sb3 which took care of making Y the long axis but I can't seem to do the negative trick in sb3, would rather just swap the wires.

Brady Watson
10-14-2015, 09:16 AM
You can unplug both X motors and plug them into the two Y headers on the board (rainbow connectors) - take care not to side step or bend pins. Plug the Y into the header where X1 was (you may have to do X2 if direction is backwards - or see below). You'll have to pull the alarm jumper on the 2nd Y position and mirror it over to the now defunct second X motor alarm position.

You'll have to swap your Input 2 & 3 (black wires) for each other so your C3 will work to reference the bottom left corner of the cartesian grid.

If it moves backwards, swap the 2 rainbow/ribbon cables with each other. You may still have to sign the UV with a (-) to reverse direction.

You can do everything without touching the wiring via VI swapping X for Y (channel 1 for 2), but you'll still have to swap your proxy inputs.

I may have missed something, but that should at least get you in the right direction...I'm going off of memory here.

-B

Joshua Revkin
10-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Switching the rainbow connectors had the odd effect of making either a negative or positive x move cause the spindle to move to the right on the gantry. Ideas? Also, What menu allows me to get into the UV signature?

Joshua Revkin
10-14-2015, 10:42 AM
All good, thanks for the help! It thought it was out of range and was trying to get back into range.