PDA

View Full Version : FRETWORK Designs?

jhicks
12-14-2005, 12:36 PM
I have a customer who is an antique store ask me if I could do fretwork. Of course the answer is yes but I was wondering if anyone out there has any existing patterns they would be willing to share. I am starting to research and review vector art to design a sample but would rather not reinvent if someone already has something to share.
Thanks

bleeth
12-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Dover books probably has a ton of that too but you'll have to convert them from jpgs.

billp
12-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Jerry,
Check any wood working book sources for books on fret work patterns for the Scroll saw...Even the book chains have them. Depending on your software you may be able to scan, then trace them as Dave suggests, or place generic shapes over them and generate a vector file to make a toolpath from. Probably a bunch of them online as .dxf's as well. Do half the shape, and then "mirror" it in your software for symmetry, (half the drawing time as well).

jhicks
12-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Photos will be posted before too long.

trakwebster
09-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Any news on this?

jhicks
10-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Sorry I didn't reply earlier but there is really no news with this. We developed some renderings and they never persued it further but I still think its an interesting opportunity if one can find the market.

ed_lang
11-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Dover Publishing has books with a CDrom in the back. You do not even have to scan the image!

Berry Basket is another scroll saw pattern place. They have patterns on CDroms as well and they are in .pdf format. Easy to open up in Corel X3 for me and make any changes etc...

Hope this helps someone.