PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Camp

superior
02-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Springtime in Oklahoma..conjurs up visions of beautiful spring weather, green fields and Camp Shopbot, Oklahoma Style.
I apologize for such a late posting of camp activities and such, but I have been with my Mom during a continuing six week stay at an Oklahoma City Hospital. Needless to say, my so called schedule has been shot. So, I shall try to bring everything up to speed here and now.
We are breaking new ground again this year, with our camp entitled "3D and Me". We are targeting the new projects using 3D to produce. To do this, we are blessed with the presence of one of today's leading authority on 3D, Mr. James Booth, of Carve 3D and Vector Art 3D fame. James will lead us through the maze of information regarding 3D, and show us how to use it to produce even better jobs, and secure better wages for it. We will cut some simple files, and let James do the rest.
In addition, Tony McKenzie, of Vectric.com is giving a free copy of PhotoVCarve, their newest sofware offering. We will be doing a demo of the software also, along with VCarve Wizard, their other great software. And, even more, they are offering discounts off VCarve Wizard if you wish to purchase it. I have already ordered it.
To closely tie all this together, we are offering another ShopBot Camp first: we are having a class on mold making. Al Brewer, The Reynolds Company, Dallas, TX. will be here to show us all we want to know about mold making,and casting. We will make molds, and do some casting during the class. All products and information will be featuring Smooth On, the industry leader. For those whom have not seen this done, be prepared to be shocked: It is incredibly EASY. Even I understood it the first time. Needless to say, most masters are made using 3D text and imagery, so this is a natual match. Plan to come on Friday, as Al can only be here on Friday morning, starting at 8:30 sharp. He is one of the best teachers I have met, and has an incredible grasp on all the products.
My buddy Bill Palumbo will be with us, and do what he does best: talk about SB stuff. He will teach, confide, and discuss almost anything, from the software to the hardware of 'Botting. He is truly a great resource for Ted and all the gang at Durham.
Joe Crumley will again mesmerize us with his huge knowledge of sign making. Joe is a long time very active member of Letterheads, an international organization of sign artists. He will instruct us about any phase of signs: layout, colors, composition and balance. Joe is a former fine arts teacher at several Universities in the US, and loves to share with us. This has been one of the highlights of the last two camps, one you want to experience.
Finally, there will be show and tell, gold leafing, glass blasting/etching, and numerous other projects throughout the day. We will have on hand some of the countries best software guru's, so we can handle almost any question that arises regarding software usage.
Everybody needs a "Crazy Aussie" for a buddy, and we have one. Gary Beckwith comes down from Wichita KS and shares his philosophy of "making a buck (or several) with the ShopBot. His camp last fall was one of the most talked about all year. He really does some outstanding work and is recognized for it. He does a lot of 2.5D and 3D on wooden projects, such and doors, cabinets, etc. It is truly beautiful work.
O K....nuff said.
Coffe, donuts and such: 7:30 sharp, Friday and Saturday. Mix and match with campers until 8:15, classes start at 8:30 sharp. Classes will feature a Q & A period at the end, show and tell will be mixe in throughout the classes. Only class time "cast in stone" is Al Brewer, due to a very heavy work load, covering all of Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana selling Smooth On Products.
Let me know what you want to see/show, and we will try to make it happen.
I will post motel info, driving directons, etc. hopefully tomorrow. Just for quickies, we are at 930 Lonnie Abbott, in Ada, OK. Mapquest has us pegged right on.
Feel free to contact me for questions or thoughts. Don't hesitate to email me, or call my office at 580 436-1010. I may be out of pocket, but I will get back with you.
One last time: let me know what you want.....I need the input from you. Bill and all the guys can bring more to a camp than anyone can imagine, including speakers mounted in a foam whale ! Really........
More later
Doug Strickland
P.S.::I really am sorry about such a late posting

zeykr
02-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Doug,
Sounds like an excellent camp. The NWA group plans to attend. Looking forward to it!

billp
02-18-2006, 10:07 AM
In case some people have not found the "upcoming Camp Shopbot"section on the web page, the Oklahoma Camp will be held on Fri/Sat, March 17/18th.....

superior
02-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Just a brief note pertaiing to motel accomodations: I just spoke with the MicroTel Inn, just across the street, regarding room availability. I sort of "reserved" about 10 rooms for campers.
They would not hold them however, without a definite confirmation. If you are wanting to stay there, I would suggest you call them ASAP, and make your reservations. Their rates are like $54.00/night, double. Bill, James, Gary and I are all staying there. It is only three years old, and spotless.
Just a little heads up. The other best options are the Quality Inn, and Best Western. Phone numbers are below.
In the event my earlier posting gave the impression this is "only" a 3D camp, NOT SO.
We will do all the usual camp things, just trying to find more ways to "make a buck (or two)" with our 'bots.
Here are the phone numbers, no particular order.
MicroTel: 580 436-9900; Quality Inn: 580 332-9000; Best Western (Raintree Inn): 580 332-6262
They have agreed to corporate rates, but ONLY if 10 or more rooms are rented. Yeah, they are geally getting independent. But, that's OK, next year we will have a new motel here, I believe a Holiday Inn Express.
Please let me know if you are coming, and make your reservations as soon as you can. I really need some input on numbers, for food, etc.
Less than for weeks, and counting.
Doug

joe
03-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Howdy Campers,

I'm getting psyched-up again over the Ada Camp. We had such a good time last year, and made some good friends too.

Please help me figure out what topics you want to cover! It would make our camp even more productive and fun if I demo real, applicable topics of interest. Also it would keep me from looking like a complete total fool.

Please look over the following list and contact Doug or me and let us know. Feel free to add a topic.

Texturing with Sculpt Noveau
Beveled Letters & Type Choices
How I design & decorate Panels on the computer.
Layout Design
Surface Gilding 23K
Woodgraining (Extension of Last Years Program)
----------------------------

I've received E-mails from Campers who will be coming long distances, expectiing me to cover a couple of topics. To keep anyone from being disapointed, I would appreciate your input. Once I figure it all out, I'll have Doug make it official.

Also keep in mind, since this is a free flowing event anything can happen. We can go off on a router tangent in un-explored area's at any time. If you have a specific topic you need help with, someone will be glad to investigate it with you. We may go into the late evening. Probably will. They can't kick us out, cause were them.

Joe

PS: I've just re-read my post and realize it's just about me,me,me,me, a little about Doug, but really, it's me,me,me,me,me,etc, me.. You get the idea. Nothing at all about Bill P. or G.Beckwith or our host. Just me. Sorry

billp
03-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Joe,
"If you've got it, flaunt it !". Your enthusiasm, and willingness to share your skills with the rest of us is one of the reasons we hold Camps such as this one. Looking forward to your sessions....Bill P.

zeykr
03-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Joe, They all sound good to me! Not sure I can choose only a couple - can we extend the camp to a week? :-) I would be interested in how you do layout design. Enjoyed the gold work and wood graining you showed in past - so basically anything we have time for would be great!

I learned a lot from the step by step you did recently. I'd love to have the process you use to make a sign documented for us novices with a list of materials/finishes/masks you prefer, sources for them etc.

joe
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks Ken,

I'm getting ready to start a much smaller project for a Garden Nursery and will probably do a step by step on it. That should be rather simple. But am sure someone will learn something. I allways learn from other botters even on the simmplest work.

I've sure learned a lot from Dennis Sapp with his computer knowledge. For me the router and computer are pretty much an extension of the pencil. And I haven't spend much time learning about pencils. It's just a way to get what I have in my head on some kind of substrate. Another one of my short comming is not spending enough time learning router software. It's like sharpening a chisels. I'm wanting to start carving not grinding the metal away.

I look forward to talking to you, and answering question about materials, techniques, layouts, & comps.

Please make a list and bring it with you. I'll take the time and explain what I know.

Ada has good Donut! Thought I'd throw that in just in case there is someone out there, teetring, on wheather to come.

I think the heavy hitters, Bill P, & Doug are open to letting us extend the days as long as needed. Perhaps next year we could think about a group project. We could build it together, after hours, in pieces, and assemble as each piece is completed. That would be fun. Some folks routing, others sanding and carving, others gilding and texturing. Once we choose the theme, and the art is compelted, I'm sure we could get it all assembled in two hard days. I can see a group picture now.

Someone lean on Doug to let us do it next year.

J

superior
03-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Boy, have I been put on the spot now. And I thot' Joe was my friend. Just goes to show you......
I am open to most anything for the camp and there are NO set hours. I normally work about 12 hours daily anyway, so why change now. We can do anything your little ol' hearts desire after the classes are over, so come prepared. As I stated earlier, I want to soak up as much knowledge as my little sponge (called brain) can handle. Joe has more to offer than he realizes. So, as he stated, just let us know.
Ken,and NW AR guys: bring all your questions and request, and we'll see what we can do to help. As long as Joe, Bill, James and Gary can stand it, so can I. BTW, I have dinner reservations at 6:30 on Friday at Doc's (translate Oklahoma's best BBQ) for about 20, so come prepared to eat hearty.
Again, let me know: what you want to do, and who is coming, how many, etc.
Less than two weeks and sliding downhill on a 'nanner peel.
Doug

gary_n
03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Joe,

I'd like to see some things on texturing with Sculpt Noveau and panel design.

Gary N.

superior
03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Gary: already been planned. What else ? That was too easy.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Doug

jamesgilliam
03-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Joe, We need a refresher course on woodgraining. Got the supplies right after we got home last year, and that was as far as we got. James

joe
03-06-2006, 08:06 PM
James,

It would be my pleasure to go over the process again. Perhaps we can figure out how many people are interested during the camp. We could do a one on one, or make it a group thing. Either way is fine with me.

joe
03-06-2006, 08:10 PM
James,

It would be my pleasure to go over the process again. Perhaps we can figure out how many people are interested during the camp. We could do a one on one, or make it a group thing. Either way is fine with me.

joe
03-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I have an ample supply of Trupan and thought I'd bring a few sheets if anyone wants some. It's $25 a sheet.

Can't wait to see you all.

superior
03-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Final post for the Oklahoma Camp. I want all interested campers to rest assured this is an "Attendee Driven" camp. Isn't that a great phrase. Wish I was as smart as Bill P. This means we will do whatever the campers want or need. Period. We have ample time for almost any endeavor, and still enjoy the classes. Here is pretty much the last agenda of classes.
Friday will have classes on mold making/casting, question and answer period(s), show and tell, James Booth on all facets of 3D, software discussions(type and kind as needed), Bill Palumbo on software, funky speakers, and most anything else, Gary Beckwith on doors and making doors for a lot of money, and maybe "bushy 'roos?" Not real sure what that is all about, though. Joe (Letterhead) Crumley on all kinds of stuff regarding signs. More than you might believe, actually. During the day we will have some opportunities for mini-classes on glass etching/sandblasting, and glue-chipping.
Each day begins at 7:30 sharp with the best donuts you have ever eaten, lots of fresh coffee, visitin' time, and then classes start.
Plese let me know if you want us to be "driven" to assist you with something. We will do our best. Last change to be included in the head count for eats and drinks. I need to know if you are coming, and how many will be in your group.
Let me know..............
Doug

superior
03-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Oh man...I forgot. Dan and Boots DeArmound, www.rams3d.com (http://www.rams3d.com) are planning on attending, from Amarillo. AND, they have donated one of their software programs as a door prize to a LUCKY camper. It is the 2D, Rams 2, if I am correct. I wish to publicly thank them, and hope to do so in person. What a great prize.
And, while being in a (tired and forgetful)thankful mood, I wish to let you know Sculpt Noveau has also donated a box of samples for Joe and Bill to play with. Both are very proficient with this great product.
Sorry to forget this. Must be getting old or something. Still not as old as Joe, though.
Doug

den73160
03-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Doug, I will be there, and there is only one of me.

rbartko
03-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Has the address for the event been posted? I was able to clear my schedule to come.

Rich Bartko

billp
03-16-2006, 03:44 AM
Rich.
It will be at the;
Superior Sign Shop
930 Lonnie Abbott Blvd.
Ada,OK, 74820
580-436-1010
See you there!

superior
03-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Holy cow, Bill
What are you doing still up at 3:44 am? Is your flight that early?
Thanks for responding for me. I was sacked out by then, thank goodness.
Rich: Bill is right on, as usual. Mapquest has us pegged, that should make it easy. If you have any questions about the camp or directions, email me or call the office at 580 436-1010.
Looking forward to seeing/meeting you.
Doug

joe
03-16-2006, 07:11 PM
I received three training CD's, by overnight UPS, from Sculpt Nouveau for the Ada Camp. I can't wait.

These came to us freegratis from Debbie. Bless her.

Look forward to seeing you there.

rbartko
03-19-2006, 12:22 PM
I would like to thank Doug and his son, Bill, Joe, James, Gary and all the rest for putting on a great Camp. Inspiration, ideas, tips and tricks flowed so freely that my cup runneth over. I know people that spent the big bucks for the heavy iron and they don't get this kind of support and sharing of knowledge and experience. ShopBotters are the Best!
Rich

zeykr
03-19-2006, 11:31 PM
I also wish to thank Doug, Joe, James, Bill and all the rest. Third Ada camp I've been to, and they keep getting better!

billp
03-20-2006, 12:21 PM
I think we ALL appreciate the effort which Doug put into making the Oklahoma Camp as successful as it was this year. He went far beyond the " normal" duties of a host and had a variety of speakers, samples, and activities planned for the two days. I've been to most of the Shopbot Camps, and I think this one would be the ' template' I'd like to see everyone else strive for.
I also want to thank the " campers" who travelled considerable distances to get to Ada, as it is their input which makes these events more valuable. I think everyone who attended got a lot of information which they will be able to use in their own future endeavors....
This coming weekend- Northern California Camp 1...

billp
03-21-2006, 08:54 PM
We've posted a bunch of pictures from the Oklahoma camp on the Shopbot Flickr site-http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot
We are trying to keep these albums as current as possible, and in some cases we've been able to post Camp pix on the final day of the actual Camp, so keep checking back after each one for updates.

superior
03-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Now that life is almost back to normal for me, I have reflected a bit about the camp. I trust everyone got at least one or two things to use after returning home. I certainly did. Without input from the campers, it is very difficult to put a camp together. After all, the camps are for the campers. I felt ALL the presenters did a great job. There was much information being passed around both days. I for one am fascinated by the possiblity of making molds. I forsee a very good market utilizing the information Al shared with us. Everything from custom one-of-a-kind images to multiple copies for appliques.
Also, the 3D concept is also exciting to me. And, having an open door to custom file creations from James, makes it even easier to use.
And, what can you say different about Joe. This guy amazes me every time I am with him. His abilities are amazing, his talents astounding, and his friendship priceless.
So, again, I trust/hope all went their merry way with a smile and a pledge to themselves to do even more with this amazing piece of equipment we own.
Many, many thanks to all of you who came, some a great distance,and shared of yourself with us. We really are a pretty neat community, this ShopBot community of ours. To our presenters, a job very well done.
To our sponsors, "Thank You" is very insufficient for the support you gave us; the software, books, computer time,hats, mouse pads and brochures.
Finally, to repeat myself, these camps are for and about you, the campers. We have such vast resources in our midst, and total committment and support from ShopBot, and these camps are the end result of combining all of this.
Bill P. once stated the camps are "the end result of all the knowledge of all the campers."This is the absolute. I wish we could bring all this into one area at one time, world wide. Much like a three ring circus, it would be. Image going from area to area to see all these talented folks world wide, using 'Bots for all the things they do, creating, cutting, painting, etc., etc. Quite a picture, isn't it.
Until next year, same time, same place.
Very best
Doug
Oh, and to Bill P.: Another great job of planning and organizing. I could not have put this together without "Mr. ShopBot". Thank you.

joe
03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Cessna Aircraft Company library book found!

I found it in my back pack a few minutes ago, which must have come from the Ada Camp. This is a library check out book.

Let me know and I will send it pronto, weekee weekee, on delai on delai, fast.

luke
03-23-2006, 08:34 AM
HI Joe.
I am positive that book was brought to the camp by Dan Heflin. I will email you his personal info.