PDA

View Full Version : New ShopBotter

Chip
03-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Hi all. I am new to the CNC world and purchased a desk top machine with an indexer to cut inlays on custom pool cues. Getting the indexer set up and tuned up now. Tech support has helped me overcome some minor difficulties (thanks to all for the support) and getting very close to putting it in production.

Anyway, just an introduction and I look forward to the opportunity to exchange some ideas and learn some tricks from the more seasoned users out there.

ssflyer
03-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Hi Chip!

Welcome to the wonderful, frustrating, exhilarating world of CNC! There is always a learning curve, but you are definitely in the right place to find answers!

harryball
03-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Enjoy the ride! Be prepared for broken bits and messed up materials, it comes with the territory so the first time you do it you'll know you're headed in the right direction. In all seriousness... SAFETY is your first priority. Remember, these things move on their own with a mind of their own so don't put yourself in harms way.

Much of CNC is about "art". So if you ask a questions to 3 shopbotters you might get 4 opinions. Sometimes there are many ways to do the same thing and in those cases, the only right ways are the safe ways.

Welcome!

scottp55
03-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Congrats and welcome Chip.
You're going to love it :)
Don't seem to be many people with the Desktop indexer(Even TJ doesn't have one), but know there's interest as 2 people I know are just getting theirs set up now.
Make sure to post pics and tips/comments for us other Desktoppers!
One of the guys I know does bagpipes and he's been thinking 3D work with his Exotics, But now I'm thinking he might like to consider inlays as well:)
Looking forward to seeing your work, but don't forget we seem to get the most benefit from seeing others mistakes and experiences.
Have Fun!!
scott

Chip
03-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks Scott. I have been told I tend to over think things and am somewhat of a perfectionist. I have done some modifications to the mounting, changed out the chuck (too much run out), and some mods to the head stock and tail stock. I am very close to getting it tuned up the way I want it. Once I'm finished (hopefully this weekend) I'll post some pics of my set up. I'm trying to make a small machine act like a big one since I need a turning length of 30 inches and a Y axis of only 18. But I'm almost there. I'm looking forward to sharing some ideas!!

Thanks,
Chip

scottp55
03-25-2015, 08:56 AM
Chip, Don't expect any indexer "ideas" from me:) Barely understand indexer talk.
Be interesting to see your Mods though!
Heard from someone that Shopbot wasn't shipping Indexers at the moment as they are out of Tailstocks and going with a new vendor?
When did yours arrive?
What was the runout before? What now?
What materials for inlays might you be using? MOP/Exotics/Other?
Have fun:)
scott

Chip
03-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Scott,

The total run out on the indexer chuck was .016 which doesn't sound like much, but it was too loose for my needs. The folks at ShopBot did some checking for me and they were measuring run out on these chucks from .010 to .030 and recommended an alternative chuck (the spindle on the indexer what near perfect when I checked it). Based on thier recommendation, I ordered a 4 jaw chuck from Penn State Industries (similar to a Nova Chuck) and reduced the run out to .005 which isn't as tight as my cue lathe but good enough for repeatability with inlays (considering a round part, the run out is split between each side of the spindle being turned, so the part only realizes .0025). The inlay materials I use are mostly exotics (ebony, zebra wood, snake wood, bacote, etc) as well as some pre ban ivory and some industrial plastics. I currently cut my inlays on a one to one pantomill with bit sizes of .055 and .035. I am hoping to be able to use some smaller end mills with the indexer and cnc which is why I was so concerned with the run out on the chuck. If the run out is close to the bit size I'll be breaking bits all day long.

I got my machine late last month and due to my anal nature, lol, I haven't cut much with it. I machined all of the aluminum parts for the modifications to the mounting, head stock and tail stock with my milling machine; however, I feel I could have used the ShopBot for that but I was just a little too nervious.

Long winded answer to 2 short questions, sorry about that. I'll post pics when I get finished tuning it.

Thanks,
Chip