PDA

View Full Version : BT32 Table Top and Securing Work Piece

Designer
04-01-2015, 09:27 AM
I finally got my new BT32 Standard running last night. I still have not cut anything. I am moving slowly and cautiously.

From the literature that came with the machine it appears that I should be concerned about the weight of the table. From my conversation when picking up the machine at ShopBot I need to overlay a piece of 3/4 inch MDF or equivalent material on the existing table. Both are logical.

Any inputs about this would be appreciated.

Next, there are several cautions about securing the material to the table using screws and or clamps. Basically, keep the out of the tool path. That makes sense. I was shown how 3M 77 glue could be used to hold down a thin piece of plastic while at ShopBot. I wonder if this would hold a board though.

Again, any inputs would be appreciated.

I am excited to start using my new machine.;)

Brady Watson
04-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Carpet tape, cam clamps, short screws (NOT drywall screws - they break) all work well. I like the Kreg screws from Lowes etc. You can reuse them & I haven't broken one yet.

Of course for some things you will want to use a combination of strategies, including bridges/tabs (in software) to keep your parts held down. Vacuum is also an option but walk before you run.

The hardest part of CNC is keeping the parts properly held down. We all go through this.

-B

Ajcoholic
04-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Carpet tape, cam clamps, short screws (NOT drywall screws - they break) all work well. I like the Kreg screws from Lowes etc. You can reuse them & I haven't broken one yet.

Of course for some things you will want to use a combination of strategies, including bridges/tabs (in software) to keep your parts held down. Vacuum is also an option but walk before you run.

The hardest part of CNC is keeping the parts properly held down. We all go through this.

-B

dont forget raptor nails too.

Brady Watson
04-01-2015, 08:11 PM
dont forget raptor nails too.

See...everybody has their tricks to get the job done.

Ajcoholic
04-01-2015, 09:33 PM
See...everybody has their tricks to get the job done.

No magic trickery Brady - just load up and fire away! lol

Seriously, reading this post takes me back just over three years ago.. when I got my buddy and started making stuff.

Screws, clamps, plastic brads and finally vacuum. I think everyone should go through the motions so to speak and find out what works best for thier needs.

I do have to say though, since last summer when I set up my vac table - that is THE most useful thing for 90% of my needs, with the T track aluminum clamps making up the other 10%.

scottp55
04-02-2015, 07:30 AM
Philip,
Had a ton of questions when I first started and got some good answers on Jigging.http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?19057-Desktop-Jigging-Pics&highlight=desktop+jigging

Also have you watched TJ's tutorial "Alternative Holddowns"?
http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport/tutorials.htm

It really depends on what you'll be doing, BUT spray adhesive would be the LAST option in my book for Wood! :)
Almost as many opinions as there are people on the "Best" way. BUT I have a Wonderful collection of Custom bits and screws on my "Wall of Shame" and LOVE not using screws anymore:)
A little Google searching and "Borrowing":) ideas helps a lot.
Congrats on machine:)
scott

Designer
04-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the inputs. I'll watch the videos. My plan for the day is to study and hopefully cut a part or 2. ;)

cowboy1296
04-03-2015, 10:39 AM
There are many ways to do this. It would embarrass me to tell you how i tired to do it back in the beginning. But i have had some success with cutting pockets in my table top and inserting t-tracks and then clamping the **** out of a project with t-clamps. I got my supplies from Rockler. If i could do it over i would cut the pockets a little deeper, that way you can come back and surface your table when it gets chewed up a little and not hit the t tracks.http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24656&stc=1http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24657&stc=1

gerryv
04-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the jigging thread reference Scott, I'd not seen it - excellent discussion and info.

gerryv
04-03-2015, 01:07 PM
I saw something on YouTube I believe, about a fellow who just used a hot melt gun and then used a dab of denatured alcohol to lift it off without hassle or tear out. Not sure how much holding power it has but I see there are different types. Maybe good in combination with jigs or fences? Anyone tried that? I might try it soon and will post the results.

Designer
04-03-2015, 03:14 PM
I like the idea. Are you using 3 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood?

Designer
04-03-2015, 03:21 PM
I'm going after wood or MDF to make the sacrificial top tomorrow when it stops raining. It is difficult to get good flat plywood around here, so I will most likely go with MDF.

Designer
04-03-2015, 03:22 PM
By the way. That is a really nice piece you are working on.