PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual Midwest Camp ShopBot

jkforney
03-13-2007, 03:05 PM
The 6th annual event will be held September 28th and 29th. I am looking for presenters. If you have something you want to share either day or both contact me and let me know what you have in mind.

For those of you that were here last year and update.

The Vac-clamp we used at the camp has proven to be a real time saver. The only way to use them, in my opinion, is to have two. One is not nearly steady enough, but when you have another one, wow.

Anyone that may be interested in solid surface fabrication can contact me about a class that I will be putting on this May. A one day class at my shop that will cover solid surface from measuring and making templates to pricing, seaming, edging, sanding and installation. This will be hands on and there will be a charge for the class and will be limited to 10 people max. Email or call for more information. If you want to wait and not pay I will be posting a 5 or 6 part column on my area in the application part of ShopBots web site

jkforney
03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Forgot to put my telephone number in.

419 947-8186

cookie
03-13-2007, 03:42 PM
John

Please post your address most people do not know where it's at including me. Thanks

Bruce

jkforney
03-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Bruce
If you look under Camp Shopbot 2006 topic and then the 5th annual midwest camp you will find all the particulars there.

For anyone that is thinking of coming to the sold surface fabrication, pre-registration is required. I will post a full synopsis of what will be covered and price this weekend.

The short answer is Edison, Ohio.

John Forney

jkforney
04-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Ok. It's been a long time since I have posted but Renee' is back on Chemo and our plans have been in up in the air.

I will be holding my shop open for anyone that is suffering from Jamboree withdrawal and not planning to travel to San Mateo. It will be open on Saturday May 19th for all things ShopBot. No fancy presentations, no free lunch, no free coffee and snacks. Also no door prizes. This is not sponsored by ShopBot (understand why no free lunch). Please do not send me emails asking what we will be covering or asking for directions. Please look at last years Camp for directions and information. It will be shopbotters talking to other shopbotters. If you don't own a shopbot you can come anyway.

Now on Friday the 18th of May I will be holding the Solid Surface Seminar at my shop.

It will include the following:
Pricing jobs
Templates
Using the shopbot in the fabrication process
Seaming, build up edges, drop edges and sink installation. Wet and dry sanding.
Field seams and installation
Repairs
30 plus years of tips and what not to do.

Who should come:
Anyone who wants either to build and install solid surface in their own home or would like to build and install solid surface for customers. Little experience or none.

Cost
$225.00 per person.
Includes hands on fabrication, manual and lunch.

Starts at 8:00 a.m and goes until 5:00 p.m. and will give you everything you need to sell, fabricate and install solid surface. This will be hands on so don't plan on wearing anything nice. Plan also on a good breakfast since this will be work you do, I already know how.

I still will be holding the 6th annual Camp Shopbot some time in late September or early October. More info will be here some time this summer.

Please call me for more information on the Solid Surface Seminar. There will be only 5 to 7 people and almost all the slots are taken.

John Forney
419 947-8186

andre
04-19-2007, 08:20 PM
John
What state are you in?

hines
04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
He's 30-45 min. north of Columbus, OH. Here's a link to his last camp.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/14461.html?1159900156

jkforney
04-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Dave
Thanks, I forget that the shopbot community is getting so much larger.

John

mike_douglass
05-04-2007, 02:30 PM
John:

Is there a set time for the open house on 5/19/07? I am interested in buying a SB. I am about 3 hours from you and just need to know a good time to stop by.

Thanks!

Mike

jkforney
05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Doug
Have been out of the shop installing and have not checked the forum. We will start at 8:00 a.m.

Shopbot will be buying lunch. Pizza. Again this is very informal.. No set agenda, just talking shopbot.

John

douglass_designs
05-09-2007, 12:38 PM
John:

Thanks for the info. Hope to arrive between 8:00AM and 9:00AM on Saturday 5/19/2007.

Mike Douglass

Gary Campbell
05-09-2007, 10:41 PM
John. I will be leaving FL on Fri AM and will be in your area by midnite. Would like to stop by your "open shop" on Sat. if you are not full up. Do you need any other RSVP? Is your address East or West?.. My Nav system thinks there are both.
Thanks Gary

jkforney
05-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Sure, we have room or will have everyone stand closer. My address is East High which is also St. Rt. 95. Pull into the Heartland Grace Brethren Church. We share the parking lot with them.

Edison only has 65 registered voters, so that gives you an idea how small it is.

John

jkforney
05-14-2007, 08:34 AM
This Saturday at the group there will be a working copy of the new VCarvePro V.4. You can play with it and see all the new trick features. I'll also show the vac-clamp. It is a really neat, small solution to hold downs.

If you are having problems with some of your files bring them and we'll try to help.

Lunch is on ShopBot, but you need to bring your own coffee or snacks.

John

vacclamp
05-15-2007, 01:19 AM
As a follow on from Johns posting regarding Vac-Clamps, we have a dedicated email address for Shopbotters who have questions after the show, either Mid West or San Matteo.
shopbotinfo@vac-clamp.com (mailto:shopbotinfo@vac-clamp.com) or if you want to access the website www.vac-clamp.com (http://www.vac-clamp.com)

Errol

jkforney
05-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Just got a call from Ryan at ShopBot. He is going to bring some parts from the new PRS Shopbot and go over it. So if you have some questions about the new PRS bring them, he's the guy to ask.

Ryan also has a cabinet program that cuts the parts on the shopbot. Bring some of your drawings and he will go over them with you.

Just found that my shopbot is cutting out of square so we will be resquaring a machine Saturday morning.

Tim Sarver is bring material and the file to cut a round window with curved molding. We will be cutting that after we square up the machine.

John

jkforney
07-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Now for the Camp Shopbot. The following is a early list of people that will be presenting at the camp:

ArtCam
Carve 3d
Cabinet Parts Pro
Gemini Coatings
Mirka Abrasives
Northern Contours
Vectric

The Camp will be held on Sept 28th and 29th, however Tony McKenzie will be holding a Vectric Software training call on Thursday the 27th. Contact support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com) for information. My understanding is that it will be an all day training and there will be drawing and cutting. It is $40.00 if you reserve a seat before August 26 and then it goes to $50.00. Either way it is very cheap for a whole day training and lunch.

Ryan is going to draw, cut and assemble a cabinet with his program and my machine. Then it becomes a door prize.

James Booth will be showing his 3d files and we will cut one each day. Great stuff.

Mirka will be showing the correct abrasives to use on wood and solid surface. I understand the Peter will show how to buff a run or sag out without requiring a respray.

ArtCam will be demonstrating ArtCam Insignia and Pro. Bring your questions and even files for help from the people that support the product.

Lots of other stuff too.

There is no cost for the Camp on the 28th and 29th and lunch is furnished.

The camp will start each morning at 8:00 a.m. with coffee and stuff. Then at 9:00 a.m. presentations will start.

If you require directions and motels see the message below

jkforney
07-23-2007, 04:42 PM
The address is:
132 ½ High Street (State Route 95)
Edison, Ohio 43302
419 947-8186

The motels in the Marion area are:

Comfort Inn
256 James Way
1 740-389.5552

Country Inn & Suits
2091 Marion-Mt Gilead Rd.
1 740 386-5451

Fairfield Inn
227 James Way
1 740 389-6636

Super 8 Motel
2117 Marion- Mt Gilead Rd.
1 740 389-1998

Travelodge
1952 Marion-Mt Gilead Rd.
1 740 389-4671

Motel close to Mt. Gilead

Best Western
Rts. 95 & I-71
Exit 151 off I-71
1 419 768-2378

Knights Inn
West of I-71 at Exit 151
1 419 946-6010

Directions are:

Edison is approximately 40 miles North of Columbus, Ohio

If you come in on Interstate 70 you will want to go towards Cleveland on Interstate 270 and then go North on St. Rt. 23 if coming from the West and north on Interstate 71 if coming from the East

From the North or South on State Route 23

Exit on St. Rt. 95 which is the Marion Exit and go east (left from the North and right from the South.) approximately 12 miles. When you come into the town of Edison you will go over the RR Tracks and past the School with is at the first and only light. One half mile on the South (right) side will be the Heartland Grace Brethren Church. Turn into the parking lot and you are at my shop. There will be signs indicating where to park. We share the parking lot and my shop is on the west side.

There is only Heartland Church in Edison (which only has 65 registered voters) and Edison is adjacent to Mt. Gilead for those that are going to use a mapping site.

From the North or South on Interstate 71

Exit at the Mt. Gilead exit and go West (left from the South and right from the North) approximately 15 miles. Go through Mt. Gilead and turn into the Heartland Grace Brethren Church. Turn into the parking lot and you are at my shop. There will be signs indicating where to park. We share the parking lot and my shop is on the west side.

As you can see I am right in the middle of State Route 23 and Interstate 71 on State Route 95. In Edison St. Rt. 95 is also High Street, so if you are looking up directions on a mapping site use the High Street address.

jkforney
07-23-2007, 04:45 PM
If you have any questions contact me at 419 947-8186 or by email at jkforney@redbird.net (mailto:jkforney@redbird.net) and put 6th Midwest Camp in the subject.

John Forney

tony_mac
07-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Update on the Vectric Training Course.

The training course is being run on the Thursday before the Midwest Camp ShopBot
and everyone is welcome - not just 'Botters'!

During the day we will look at all of the Vectric products and also explain how to
setup and run various jobs on john's ShopBot.

The cost is $40 (includes breakfast and lunch) if you register before 26th August.

For more details and to register please click here > (http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/newsletters/Vectric_Training_Sept_2007.htm)

Tony

jkforney
08-01-2007, 05:48 PM
The Vectric Training Course is now being sponsored by ShopBot and is free. Registration is still required and you can use the link above.

John

tony_mac
08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
The Vectric Training Course is now fully booked-up.

Thank you to everyone who has registered and more
details will be sent to you in a couple of weeks.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all in Ohio.

Regards,
Tony

jkforney
08-28-2007, 05:33 PM
We are still taking people for the 2 day camp. Tony will be showing the software on both days but the training is full up.

John

bob_reda
08-29-2007, 08:39 AM
John,
Have you recieved my email about registration for your shop bot camp? It seems all my emails to you are being kicked back at this time.

Bob Reda

jkforney
08-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Yes you are expected.
I don't know why but some people have had problems with emails returned. After talking to my ISP they assure me that it is not on my end. Considering all the garbage that I have been told in the past from different people, it could well be my end. If anyone has had problems call me at 419 947-8186 since I don't block anyone there.

John

jkforney
08-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Bill Jarvis is going to be showing his laser scanner both Friday and Saturday. Inpro corp is going to be showing their new line of solid surface on Friday. We will be discussing and maybe cutting solid surface and inlays(depends on time). Arrow Tooling is furnishing bits for the cutting. They have also furnished a diamond bit we will show.

John

jkforney
09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Haze Avery of Midwest Rapid Tool is going to put his tool changer on my machine for the camp. It is a really interesting idea for the shopbots with a porter cable router.

Here is a link to his web page if you haven't seen it yet. http://www.midwestrapidtool.com/

Haze is also a shopbot owner and has designed this for his older prt. I am quite excited about seeing this in action.

John

rbartko
09-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Trying to make travel arrangements to get to the camp from Austin, TX and then on to Pittsburgh, PA afterwards.
Would anyone be driving through Pittsburgh, PA after the camp? I need a ride to McKeesport, south of Pittsburgh when the camp is finished.

Kind regards,
Rich Bartko
Austin, TX
rbartko@aristec.com (mailto:rbartko@aristec.com)
(512) 868-2862

harold_weber
09-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks to John for putting up with all of us for the 6th Ohio Camp. I wound up with 8 pages of notes on new-to-me tips and ideas.

sarge
09-30-2007, 05:31 AM
Harold,

I have been a regular attendee of John's camps in years past, but was unable to attend for personal reasons this year; is there any way I could get a copy of your notes?

Thanks,

Jim

hines
09-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks John for a great camp. My brother and I had a good time. I thought James Booths presentation was great and really enjoyed getting to talk with Bill Palumbo and "The Man" Ted Hall. Thanks again!

billp
09-30-2007, 10:02 PM
We've posted a Blog for the Mid West Camp on the Shopbot Blog page;
http://campshopbot.blogspot.com/
Pictures have also been posted on the Flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot
PS- I didn't get the names of everyone who provided Show and Tell pieces, so if you'll contact me I will then post your name alongside your work, Thanks !

rookie432
10-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Ahh finally settled back in and wanted to say a great big thank you to John,Renee'(hmmm 1 e or 2),Tony,Brian, James ,Tiffany, Ryan,Bill P and Ted.
Another great camp. Thanks for opening your shop for yet another year of intense learning and Bottership. The amount of work that goes into John's camp is incredible. I have been to every one and I always come back with my mental wallet full and new friends to boot.
Always a great experience.

Bill

P.S. If I forgot to mention anyone it was purely unintentional

jamesb
11-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I know this camp happened a while ago but I wanted to let those attendees who asked me about the deer skull mount I had there, that there is now a variation of the file available for $25 from Vector Art 3D:http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Detail&ID=50447 - Image of part is shown below:

I know at least 3 of you who asked if and when this might be available to buy but could not remember who... hence the post here.

Cheers, James