PDA

View Full Version : Repurposing a rarely used 2nd Z axis to drive a custom indexer?

rley
04-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Hi,

We have PRS Alpha that was ordered from shopbot with a 2nd Z axis. Over the last 3 years, the 2nd Z axis has hardly been used and I'm curious if it would be easy enough to switch the existing 2nd Z axis driver already installed in the control box over to driving a new (identical) stepper motor on a custom indexer we would make (likely based on the Rikon wood lathe other's have used).

It would seem that this would be partly a software change whereby the old A axis (2nd Z axis) would be reassigned to the 4th axis on the indexer?

Ideally, this change would be something that could also be saved as a separate config file so in the event we wanted to go back to using the 2nd Z axis at some point in the future, it could be a relatively painless procedure.

Thanks for any input.

David Iannone
04-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Rob,

If you build an indexer, are you considering selling the 2nd Z with no motor? I have a PRT with the old style Z.

Thanks,
Dave

rley
04-17-2015, 02:28 PM
No, will keep all the parts so we can switch back when needed.

Joe Porter
04-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Talk to ShopBot and they will tell you how to make the changeover in the control software and wiring, it is not difficult. I would also use the same stepper motor instead of buying a new one...joe

rley
04-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Joe. I put a call in to them Friday and they said they'd get back to me soon.