PDA

View Full Version : Custom cut plaque for a good cause

David Iannone
04-19-2015, 05:22 PM
About a month ago a sign customer of mine came in and asked about some plaques. He is a local police officer here in LaGrange. He said he wanted to make 2 custom plaques for a benefit they are having.

He wants me to machine out the logo out of material he supplies. He said he was in no rush.

So this morning I was bored and finally traced out the pic of the embroidered patch he gave me in Flexisign, then exported to .eps and imported to Aspire and toolpathed it. 1.5 hrs in the software.

Then I decided to drive 5 minutes to my shop and cut out the sample and take care of some maintenance issues I have been putting off.

I cut the sample out of a piece of warped pine that came out of our old bathroom closet before remodel.

I have to fine tune a few vectors and toolpaths. ( I should have pocketed 90degrees instead of 0degrees.

He is coming in tuesday to check out the rendering. I just decided to cut out a sample to show him the different depths. I am going to tell him my setup time and 45 minutes machine time (tool changes, etc) and tell him I would be happy to donate my labor to a good cause.

I don't know what wood he will supply, but he was talking about staining it.

I was thinking about telling him about the doming process to try?

Any advise on material and finish let me know and I will pass it on to the officer. He will supply me with 2 pieces of 12"x12" wood of some kind.

Thanks,
Dave

elcar903
04-22-2015, 09:23 AM
amazing job with the plaque