View Full Version : Win Remote Server Issues

Hobodog2
04-20-2015, 03:19 PM
My WinRemote control of my PRT Alpha using my iPhone stopped working.

I think it was when I upgraded from Win 8.0 to 8.1 Prior to that it was working fine under Win 8.0

The router/iPhone/WinRemote connection is working because the PC asks if is OK to let my iPhone (IP address for the iPhone) control the PC.

The ShopBot control software does not respond after I make the iPhone to PC connection through the router

Anyone have an idea where I should look to correct the problem?

Thanks, Pete

srwtlc
04-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Hi Pete,

Are you just minimizing the WinRemote server window to the system tray and not closing it? I don't have a Win 8.1 system to test on, but since the Shopbot Remote app is just a keystroke sender, you can test it in any other program to see if the arrow, tab, and enter buttons work. If for example, you are able to move around a folder of files in file manager with it, it should also work when SB3 has focus. Make sure that SB3 has focus before trying to use it. It's possible that something may steal focus of SB3 after opening it.

Note, SB changed the keystroke for 'Jog' in the 3.8.XX version and the app still uses the older version keystroke. Guess I should get a remote version made for SB 3.8.XX. Didn't think there were many people using this anymore (including myself) and just have kind of moved on. I also only use(d) it with an old 2nd Gen iPod Touch and not a newer iPhone.

Hobodog2
04-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Hi Scott

Thanks for the reply.

I am doing everything the same as the past two years or so when using WinRemote for the ShopBot SB3 control, but it stopped working somewhere along the line.

I recently installed the spindle speed control set-up (cable and USB dongle) and that has a new window open on the desktop when you enable the speed control. So I disabled that function, thinking it was hijacking the SB3 focus - no change.

I would not know how to try another PC function using WinRemote - wouldn't I need an app on the phone?

Pete

srwtlc
04-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Maybe I misunderstood. Are you using the WinRemote iPhone app which uses WinRemote Server to communicate with the PC or are you using the ShopBot Remote app which also uses the WinRemote server.

ShopBot Remote
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24831&stc=1

WinRemote
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24832&stc=1

I designed the ShopBot Remote app and had the developer of WinRemote do the programming of it to work with his server program.

Never the less, each of these iPhone apps are nothing more than a keyboard emulator and with the server installed on your PC, they'll send keystroke commands to whatever program has focus on your PC. If you open the file manager on Win 8.1 and use the arrow keys, you should be able to move the selection highlight to the next selection, tab between buttons, or use enter, etc. This would at least tell you that it's working.

It might be possible that there are some incoming/outgoing firewall restrictions causing issues.

Hobodog2
04-22-2015, 10:32 AM
Scott

I am using the iPhone ShopBot remote application with the WinRemote Server on the PC. I have used it for 2 years with two different iPhones and different PCs (as I upgraded them). It even worked on that miserable Windows 8.0 (what was Microsoft thinking?) But it stopped working a couple of weeks ago or so.

I did not know there was a keyboard application (never looked for it) for the iPhone, but I will try to find that app and try it to see if the PC responds on other PC functions using WinRemote Server.

But, again, the PC does respond to me using the iPhone ShopBot remote when I access the WinRemote Server (it asks if it is ok to let IPXXXX control the PC). But I can no longer control the ShopBot remote functions - as of about two weeks ago.

I did not realize I was talking to the genius that designed the ShopBot remote application - I use it a lot for precise zeroing. Well done Scott, thank you.

Pete

srwtlc
04-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Hmm... Try deleting the ip again in WinRemote server and then do a rescan on the iPhone. If it asks and you allow the connection, before minimizing (not closing), try using the tab button and arrow buttons in the app to see if you can move around in the WinRemote server window. Try it before you delete the ip address too. If you can move around in the server window, that means that it's working. Try the SB window then, but be sure that SB3 has focus by clicking on the title bar.

Have you changed your WiFi setup since it worked? I've found that if you have a long distance between the router and back, that there can be a delay. I've always had a WiFi that was just on the control PC with no internet. If you can get it to work, you can also try doing an ad-hoc connection, but I always have a hard time maintaining that connection.

If you haven't, update to the latest ShopBot Remote app, as the top row of buttons has been updated to be C2, C3, and Repeat (Ctrl-R).