PDA

View Full Version : STL molding profile- how to stitch for length

jTr
04-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Need to duplicate/stitch an .stl 3D model of a carved molding for length. Model is about 14" at desired scale, and I need more like 144". Just cutting my teeth on 3D work - am I going to need a different program (Aspire) to make use of this model? At first glance, not having much luck finding a tutorial that addresses this process.

jeff

srwtlc
04-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Jeff,

A couple of quick thoughts...

If you have the latest version of VCP/PartWorks, you can import your stl and then on the modeling tab, you can duplicate the component as needed to make the length and set the combine mode of each component to 'merge'.

If the molding/profile is straight, you could just scale the length and then reset the height of the component.

jTr
04-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Scott,
Perfect! Just downloaded new version yesterday. Vaguely followed your steps - simply selected model and copy-dragged a few times duplicating it out to a 1" 90" strip of carved acanthus molding. Found most of the tabs you referred to, though unclear on the "merge" function. As long as it didn't overlap, the software appeared to automatically merge things as I carefully butted the sections together. Generated a cutout boundary, tool-paths, and preview looks good. Just need to find and remember how to load post processors, and this gets me off an running with VCP8 and an awesome new feature - perfect timing on the software and advice!

Now I can present the sample to my client and move into production with confidence.

Thanks a truckload for your help!!!

Jeff

bleeth
04-22-2015, 01:57 PM
When manually butting repeat reliefs make sure you are using high resolution and zoom in close to the simulation.
Sometimes there may be a surprise line at the join.

srwtlc
04-22-2015, 04:53 PM
By merging, you will be able to overlap a small amount and not be concerned with 'added' pixels or gaps that would dip down.