PDA

View Full Version : First Layered project

scottp55
05-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Cardholder for Kelly Roy our photographer.
It is a reject cardholder on the backside.
Just needed something with appropriate measurements and sanded to trial run.
All kinds of issues and tutorials as doing and trying to use "Merge Toolpaths" etc.
BOY, It's one thing to have this on a laptop a foot from your face, and then when it started cutting OMG! :)
Only measured the font once yesterday to measure her logo....Lansdowne is one of those fonts that goes Way beyond the center size both above and below the line! Of course I grabbed the Whole line and then checked the dimensions and said "Yup...Doable"
IDIOT !!!
Cherry with Drillman1 30. .1"depth layers.
Spindle just stopped second pass,
Second layer has me nervous.

scottp55
05-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Whew!!
Breakfast time:)
At least the practice one is done!

scottp55
05-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Thank Goodness for Z-plates and advice from forum:)
Virtually a perfect match between bit heights.
Almost no sanding needed at ALL:)
Wish I'd put 29 degrees into database for the 30 though:(

Burkhardt
05-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Looks like you got that nailed! Very nice...No idea about the layering thing. There are apparently features in Vcarve I have no clue of. I hate reading manuals and watching tutorials.

But it does look quite fragile. How do you protect that?

scottp55
05-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Thanks G. ,
But NOT nailed!
Had to do a whole different VCarve cut(green in picture) with a .1" start depth to get it to cut the leaves. Positive it's operator malfunction:)
GOT to figure out what I missed as the green layer work around was time consuming.
Sure it's just something I missed and need to find relevant tutorial.
Kind of like VInlay, not a feature so much as a technique.
Michael has some good info in this thread, and Adrian's ling in second post gives Tim Merrill's excellent advice.
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21558&p=153193&hilit=layered+text#p153193

Not THAT delicate, just measured the "o" and it's .105" at the top, BUT will drop it down in the pocket by .05" now that you mention it(Thanks).
Couldn't have done it with this one, as reverse side has .5"BN fluting path that's .45" deep so only about .2" of wood between the two and that's as thin as I want.
Kind of surprised that Cherry took the cut without tearout. DID pause the cut when it dawned on me exactly how delicate it was, and put General Finishes "wood turners finish" on the very top of letters and where leaves were going to cut, and started cutting 10 minutes later.
3-4 coats of Tung should strengthen a little when it fully cures.
Hers will be Hard Maple that has 4 coats Watco Natural that are a year cured(hoping that's not going to be a tearout problem).
May cut that while sanding off that Tin/Purpleheart VInlay I'll unclamp today:)
DID like the "Merge Toolpaths" feature once I got toolpaths in the correct order with right start depths.

scottp55
05-06-2015, 02:18 PM
First pass on the Maple cardholder.
As Gert mentioned,"How is it protected?" I recessed it .05" and that pass also eliminated the Watco from the equation also:)

elcar903
05-10-2015, 06:44 PM
very nice, layered work is always fun :)