PDA

View Full Version : PartWorks3D + working on the diagonal

Chazz
05-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Hi folks,

I am trying to do a 3D cut on my Desktop; however, it is a bit over 26" long. So, I figured to cut it on the diagonal. Tiling doesn't seem to be an option in Partworks 3D. The thing is that PW3D seems to only work on material that is rectangular and square to the X and Y axis. I don't mind it being rectangular; but I want the centerline to be along the segment of 0,0 to 24,18. By staying square to the X and Y, it will cut over the entire area of the spoiler board and that makes clamping a bit difficult.

Thoughts?

bob_dodd
05-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Chazz
I would lay it parallel to X , you have room to let the 2" overhang , make the file up so that it starts at 0,0 and works towards 24" , pause the machine at 23" , move material 2" to left , now move machine to 21" , now change the display to read 23" and continue file , you could also have someone make a tiled tool path for you , just my 2 cents hope this helps

Chazz
05-23-2015, 09:48 PM
It is many passes of rough and two passes of finish.... I can re-do the model to have something blocking there; but it just seemed that the software should have some function for it.

There just seems to be a lot of needed features missing from partworks 3D. Like being able to move the model on the material -- or rotate it other than 90 degrees.

BTW, I have manually tiled before (in 2D). It is just a pain to do if I can get away from doing it.

adrianm
05-24-2015, 03:58 AM
There just seems to be a lot of needed features missing from partworks 3D. Like being able to move the model on the material -- or rotate it other than 90 degrees.

That's one of the main reasons why Vcarve 8 (including the ShopBot edition) has so many 3D features in it.

scottp55
05-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Like Adrian says Chazz, Upgrade.....It's REALLY not the same program anymore...MUCH more like a poor mans Aspire now!
Download the free trial and kick the tires. 3D is now integral and SO much easier to play with design protos and toolpath options.

Chazz
05-25-2015, 09:17 PM
I just looked at a training video for VCarvePro (The one with the 3D flower head) and I think it has everything I need. However, during the whole video, it never says that it is VCarvePro. I get the feeling they use the same video for Aspire. Also, the screen in the video doesn't say VCarvePro OR Aspire.... It just says "Vectric".

scottp55
05-26-2015, 06:00 AM
Chazz,
Under "Help" in the trial version of VCP8 there's a "video tutorial browser".
I've worked through the first 3 3D tutorials and there weren't any tools used that were not in VCP8.
Think that "flower" one was the first I did.
Only thing the trial version doesn't have is access to the clipart library, which you get a portal link to when you upgrade through Shopbot for $150.