PDA

View Full Version : Now its the Y axis - Grrrrr!

dubliner
09-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Well I had a problem with the x ( perhaps ) but now I think it might have been Y all along. When I jog across & back on Y I can feel a rumble, not sure its the motor or the V rollers, feels like a shopping trolley with a slight wobble. & I'm losing steps thus tearing up some wood. I was cutting in X @ 45dgs primarily yesterday & loosening the X motor seemed to fix the problem, but I switched to cutting in Y and it doesn't feel smooth. I would think just jogging back & forth in Y would be pretty smooth. I cant see a physical reason its rumbling. I loosened the Y motor plate a touch, but didnt fix it,Any ideas?

erik_f
09-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Its possible the rollers are too tight...disengage the motor and see how it feels to roll the y car back and forth...you should be able to tell if its way too tight. Are you sure its not some sort of communication error happening in your USB? Just to let you know...I have been able to cut no problem 3/4" MDF in .25" passes at 4" per second and normally jog at 9-10 ips. I would have tried cutting faster, but I was afraid of breaking the bit...not loosing steps. I am not under standing "45dgs". Normally though I cut at around 1.5-2 ips for better accuracy. I understand how frustrating it can be getting a machine that is supposed to be set up from the factory, that needs attention. When I got my BT48 I couldn't travel the full 24" in X because the gantry was placed too far forward by about an inch, I was missing a screw that was mis-tapped in one of the x rails, my X motor was set up sloppy and couldn't be fully adjusted so I had to grind out some of the cross member, the y motor had to be adjusted to fix back lash, and the aluminum table has a 1\8th" bow too it. I'm glad I had experience with my previous PRT96 or I might have lost my mind.

dubliner
09-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Erik, that was it ( I hope ) I dropped the motor and I had to push pretty hard to slide the car across the Y. As soon as I loosened the nuts on the car, I could see an immediate difference.For anyone experiencing similar problems I would suggest if it takes more than the pressure to close a good sliding glass door, it might need to be adjusted So again thanks for your suggestions and now for some cutting :-) Neville

dubliner
09-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Dumb question ~ I'm sure, but how do you reset a Standard BT? I though just driving of the prox trips should do it?

erik_f
09-11-2008, 10:45 AM
you mean how to get your 0,0 to the right hand corner? If you haven't done so yet there is a set up feature in the control software that will guide you through the set up and figure out the offsets for you. I used V bit to best locate the 0,0 corner. With the set up you put the machine at where you want your 0,0 to for the "zero x and y" file that is in the SB files folder and the set up will do the rest. But yes you would used the prox switches with the "x and y" file. If in fact that is what you are asking.

dubliner
09-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Erik, No I mean when you crash the prox trips. On the Alpha you just press the green reset button on the control box, but on the standard I thought moving away from the trip would reset the "alarm" notice, but when I do move off the little red X's stay on. N

erik_f
09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Sorry not really sure...I hate to suggest it...but maybe the prox switches aren't properly adjusted? I can't really picture it in my mind how it usually looks, so you might want to contact shopbot. There maybe some sort of setting in the control panel for how the prox switches act after they are tripped.

sawdust535
09-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Erik, I'm not sure if this will work on a Standard (I have an Alpha), but try performing a [C3] which homes the x and y using the proximity switches. Then you can do a [ZT] to zero the Table Base Coordinates to that location. It may reset those tripped switches the same time.