PDA

View Full Version : Help with 3D Files - Z not consistent

mario
05-19-2009, 01:32 PM
This is driving me crazy, I am a new owner, have been trying to carve 3D files on my SB 32 standard with PC router, the rough toolpath seems to go pretty smooth, but every time the fine toolpath runs for a few minutes the cutter will shift the Z position usually above the intended path and at about mid file it will start cutting deeper until it reaches into the spoilboard. The spoilboard has been surfaced, I zero the cutter with the C2 routine at the top of the board every time I change tools. No electric cables are in the path of the control box cables. Any ideas? Thanks!

cnc_works
05-19-2009, 05:11 PM
One problem your symtoms match is the Z missing steps for some reason. It thinks that it has gone up the ordered distance, but something may be limiting it so that steps are missed. Next Z down takes it the ordered distance, but Z positioning is off by the number of steps missed so it goes too low.

Donn

ghostcreek
05-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Any other axis missing any steps? After this "issue" will it still go to it's proper home? every litte bit of info helps. If you solve this, please let us know.
Michael

cutitout
05-19-2009, 11:13 PM
what is the Z move speed set at? and will your springs pull z up after power off?
I believe you may not have the power in the stepper to lift the z so it only falls.

mario
05-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Got it, the excentric bearings on the Z carriage were too tight, did the adjustment routine from SB and seems to be working quite nice, no missed steps or deep cuts so far.
Thanks!

robtown
05-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Watch your X and Y speeds as well, they will ultimately be dictated by the ramp speed of your Z when 3d carving, so dialing in high speeds for cutting in X and Y won't make anything go faster, and could possibly result in missed steps.

mario
05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Thank you Rob