PDA

View Full Version : Rotary 4 pc project

bob_dodd
07-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Something I been working on in my spare time , made up in four pieces on the desktop , for the fine detail I used a 30 deg 1/8" Vee bit with a .002 step over in 15 lb foam , now for finale assembly and finishing

scottp55
07-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Beautiful Bob!
The fact that you built the indexer yourself must be satisfying:)
Did you ever actually get onto the Torch? I saw that pic of you holding the scaffolding up while leaning on the Lady's chin, and was just wondering.
Nice work!
scott

GeneMpls
07-12-2015, 01:36 PM
That is wonderful. Never wanted a indexer before this moment. Thanks? Gene

GeneMpls
07-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Too late to edit my last post- Hi Bob, didn't notice that it was you posting, what program is that? Doesn't look Vectric? Gene

myxpykalix
07-12-2015, 04:57 PM
That is very cool. I recall during our high school trip (pre renovation) we went up in the statue and was able to go into the torch. People would be surprised at actually how small both the torch and crown viewing platforms really are. I was scared being on the inside i can't imagine what it was like on the OUTSIDE!
You did good work on both the big one and little one!

bob_dodd
07-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the kind remarks ,
Scott I kinda got to the torch

Gene I mainly use ArtCam Pro for my designs

Jack Can not take any credit for work done on the Statue , I operated the crew boat to take workers back and forth to Manhattan , Had camera and time between trips to wander around (bet it would be different today)http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25666&stc=1

scottp55
07-13-2015, 05:42 AM
Yep, Guess you got up to "Torch" :)
Thanks for pic...never really saw a close-up pic of "Flame" before.
I take it the fine details were Drillman1"s $4 Kyoceras? (been using them with good luck in both the .012 and .005" flats....012" better for 3D "Fuzzies" , but still good detail).
What bit for "Flame"? Looks like it would have to be fairly long?
Didn't realize it was foam you were working in, reminded me I got a box of high density scraps from my brother sitting gathering dust and never even tried:(
No Hardhat, AND No Belt....OSHA's going to getcha!

bob_dodd
07-13-2015, 06:10 AM
Scott
If you closely at flame you can see the gold leaf squares that it is done in
The flame I used a 1/4" ball nose and a file/sandpaper
The piece below it with all that detail The Kyoceras 30 deg just about 5 hours .002 step over
the tapered tube used the new feature in SB3 for continuous spin and used" Bill Young Flipper" for the profile ,then Feature machining
in Artcam for the rest
I glued up scraps with Gorilla glue wetting both pieces and holding with spring clamps
Yes the work place has changed in 30 years