PDA

View Full Version : Computer

rayman
09-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Just need to ask simple question,,getting a Buddy 48 Alpha...I want to run the buddy on a separate computer other than the one I have...But I want to use a lap top?..anyone use a lap top to run theirs and any problems...
Will put the design software on my Dell transfer files to other computer..

sixshooter
09-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Raymond, I have a Buddy BT32 Alpha and I am using a Dell 610 Laptop with Windows XP Pro to run the Bot and a Dell XPS 1530 with Vista Home Premium to build my Partworks files to cut on the bot, I download them to a USB memery stick then take them out to the shop and upload them to the Bot laptop, it works just fine. you will need to turn off auto update on any of the software you have on the bot laptop. you can go to the support page off the home page, on the left and click on Tech posts and messages then scroll down to Ted Hall post 9/24/06 and read it and it will tell you how to turn stuff off on your laptop so the Bot will run like a champ

mwpfeifer
09-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Raymond, I do the same thing as Steve except I use XP Pro on both my computers. No problems, been doing this on my BT48 for the past year. Make sure you turn off the power saver and hibernate functions as well as screen savers.

rayman
09-25-2009, 06:27 AM
thanks, think i would rather have the lap top rather than the desk top at the bot..new to this so will be asking a lot of questions....

bcammack
09-25-2009, 08:17 AM
The only caveat I can think of for using a laptop is that they are very compact, internally. This would make them more susceptible to dust contamination leading to overheating problems. Be sure that if you elect to use a laptop to drive your ShopBot you make provisions to minimize the opportunity for it to suck up any airborne byproduct of the machining processes.

ghostcreek
09-25-2009, 12:56 PM
As I also use a USB stick for my "Sneaker Net", However, I upgraded my "Laptop Bot Controller", to a Desktop. Dust issues and my clumsyness lead me there. It also was a great project to make a rolling cart to hold PC, Monitor, Tooling and all the other items we seem to use. 1 sheet of plywood was all I needed. Put a swing arm on the keyboard, and works cool. The keyboard swing arm would also work good for a Lap-Top.