View Full Version : Apire Question

jwa1156
07-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Using Aspire 8.007 attempting to make a plaque
two issues one with the shopbot desktop and one with the Aspire
Desktop the VFD has sopped and shows EF on display, the bit rpms are at that time ZERO,
the control software SB3 does not know the bit has stopped and continues with the tool path, breaks the bit and scores the plaque surface??

Aspire
Ran the roughing file, which cut it portion of the plaque fine set to leave 0.04" of material for the finishing cut.
Had the finishing cut calculated and when it runs, it is not cutting the material. how do I get the finishing cut to lower?

thanks

adrianm
07-29-2015, 03:59 AM
The VFD and the desktop are two separate unconnected pieces of hardware as far as SB3 is concerned. It doesn't know that the spindle isn't running and will happily carry on trying to cut. It's up to the operator to stop the machine in that case.

When you changed to the tool for the finishing cut did you zero the Z to the same place that you did for the roughing cut?

jwa1156
07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the response
Yes I ran the Zero process from the same location
I will double check to make sure there were no debrief etc
since I know the finishing cut is very small.
any ideas what causes the VFD to error out and stop during the cut?

zeykr
07-29-2015, 03:23 PM
You didn't say what brand of VFD, but from the Delta manual:
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25766&stc=1

jwa1156
07-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Ken
Thanks for the info, it is a DELTA VFD
It states fault correct hit reset
what fault?
switch being hit or spindle being stopped by material etc

zeykr
07-30-2015, 08:29 AM
I would think it's saying that the wiring connected to the EF terminal is changing state. I'm guessing it's wired to auto start the spindle from the control box and you have a bad connectiion, wire, or getting an improper signal from the control box.

zeykr
07-30-2015, 08:29 AM
Prob a good idea to call Shopbot support.

jwa1156
07-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks
They say it may be poor grounding
Problem I will have is that I am legally blind Iraq Vet and have a great deal of problems doing weiring etc.
I sort of pisses me off to have this type of issues on a new expensive piece of equiptment
thanks again for the leads
will work on it

scottp55
07-31-2015, 08:29 AM
Jerry,
May be nothing, but had similar problem when I first set up(NOT sure it was error code EF).
I did several things at once, so not sure which on fixed it.
I noticed my DC hose was putting pressure on on the spindle power cord at the point it happened....removed the slack in hose that allowed it.
Removed spindle power at spindle end...cleaned and blew out contacts and reseated.
Removed slack in upper Z prox switch wire that also contacted DC hose.
Separated/uncoiled all my neatly organized computer wires and kept them ALL away from the vac power cord.
Ran a bare copper wire through inside DC hose all the way to cyclone and grounded.
Never happened again, but don't know which solved it.
Good luck,
scott

jwa1156
07-31-2015, 02:45 PM
Scott
thank you for the info
I have grounded my DC with braided copper wire on all the PVC Pipe used in the final runs etc
and grounded that to the Cyclone
so one issue is out of the running
Will check the wiring for excess slack etc

scottp55
07-31-2015, 03:45 PM
Jerry,
"ON all the PVC" or INSIDE the PVC? (should be inside I think for best results and "dead end" it maybe on the wire that's inside the flexible hose like we did).
You probably have it right...just checking. Chassis of cyclone grounded separately and no chance wire is brushing chassis somewhere?
Any chance of something kicking on that draws a lot of juice intermittently(with me it was compressor/furnace until the UPS was installed as a line conditioner as well as for "flickers" from "country power") solved that issue? That was usually lost comms though.
I'm the lousiest person on the forum for electrical though:)

On Aspire;
Know you shouldn't have to, and if you're Zeroing to same exact spot and material hasn't lifted at that spot from the stress relief of the roughing pass(bit slippage/lost steps from too aggressive ?)(maybe Z-Zero closer to a clamp/screw etc.) then maybe move off the workpiece/MZ to -.02" or such and reZero your Z for a temp fix? Shouldn't be necessary and something else is going on, but works in a pinch if say roughing ripped of a chunk of your design.
Hate Gremlins!
Good luck
scott