PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Open Source Vacuum Hold Down

erik_f
09-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Here it is...This thread is meant to continue the Open Source Vac threads that Brady started, but geared toward the unique challenges that the BT series present when creating a vacuum hold down system. The rules that Brady put forth in the original thread still stand here.

john_how
10-10-2008, 02:04 AM
How would you go about cutting the 2" hole in the aluminum plate of the buddy for hooking up a vacuum source? I assume this could be done with the buddy itself or maybe I would be safer using a drill and some kind of hole saw? I am a woodworker but I have not done much metal work.

kenakabrowncom
10-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Here is info from Brady Watson that I got when I did the "Brady Vac" on my Buddy...

"You will want to get yourself a 1/4" spiral-O flute bit with a 0.500" length of cut (no more than .75" LOC) - then create a toolpath in PWorks that does a SPIRAL ramp into the material, stepping down .03125" per pass. Set your RPM to between 13,000 & 15,000 @ 1.2 IPS."

This worked perfectly for me and produced a very clean cut.

Ken

erik_f
10-10-2008, 09:04 AM
John I cut them using the buddy, some lithium grease, and a regular 1/2" carbide router bit. I was nervous because the only other times I had cut aluminum was when I ran into my clamps
I went slow and made sure I used the lithium grease and it turned out great. I use a piece of paper between the zero plate and table top to get the z-zero to work.