PDA

View Full Version : Climb and Conventional cut needed. How to do it?

Zamm
07-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, I am making guitar bodies and have to figure out how to program certain parts of the cut to be conventional cut. My only guess is to make 2 copies of the outline and cut it where the grain changes direction.

I was also thinking of making the ramp the length of the entire perimeter. Not sure if that would work but I think it has potential.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

knight_toolworks
07-30-2015, 03:41 PM
you just make two toolpaths. one climb one regular and select the same part. if I am starting fresh I will make the one toolpath copy it change it to regular and change the depth of cut and maybe the passes.

dlcw
07-30-2015, 04:11 PM
That is going to be tough to change from climb to conventional and back again as the wood changes grain direction. It you would have create vectors that you could create individual toolpaths for and match these vectors to grain direction in the material itself. It would work with one piece of wood but you would probably have to create toolpaths for each piece of wood you are creating guitar bodies out of.

bleeth
07-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Since the bodies are (I would think) good quality hardwood a profile cut-out strategy that had some tolerance and allowance and a final clean-up pass in conventional should handle what you need nicely.

Zamm
07-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks Guys, the grain tends to change in about the same spots somewhat consistently. I did something similar to what dlcw said. I took 2 profiles with the first stepping out slightly around the spots that I get tear out.

The first cut I did with this just gave me some fuzz instead of tear out.

knight_toolworks
07-30-2015, 06:29 PM
missed the grain change. downcut helps a lot. I find a climb cut to do most of the work helps also it really makes a difference to ahve wood on the scrap side. if you are just cutting the edge of the wood then there is more of a chance of tearout. then I will only do a climb cut.