PDA

View Full Version : Forum Search is broken.

khaos
08-14-2015, 09:15 AM
FYI

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupmessage.php on line 21

I know I can use google too. But it sure would be neat if our 'new' forum could search.

adrianm
08-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Working ok for me. Perhaps it was just a temporary glitch while something was updating.

khaos
08-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Funny. Search for Bed in a box.

Searching more space works. The developer in me is now wondering if 3 letter words are too short to search for...

Nancy
08-15-2015, 08:28 PM
If you read a bit further down below the Warning lines, you'll see this explanation. So you are correct in thinking that the word was too short.

The following errors occurred with your search

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
bed

khaos
08-17-2015, 09:36 AM
And not searching 3 letter words makes sense. The size of the index to include those would have little value and would affect everyone's search performance. Curious as to why the forum errors out rather than giving an end user consumable message though. I would report it as a bug to the vbulletin guys. Since y'all are paying/paid for bug free code they can get on that. :)

adrianm
08-17-2015, 11:37 AM
It's why I always search using "bed in a box site:talkshopbot.com" in Google on this and other forums as most of them have so many words disabled the search returns too many non-related topics to be that useful (I know you know that but "lurkers" reading the thread might not).

Shouldn't be coming up with that error message though.

There's one forum I use where every word commonly used in the product is disabled in the search along with the usual ones but it's a private forum so Google can't be used and it's slowly dying a death because of that.