View Full Version : Spindle option

fasteddie58
09-23-2015, 11:45 PM
Looking at the Desktop to purchase and spindle option. Those running a spindle is there a way to adjust RPM in the file software with code or is it on the fly? Is this a worth while option? Is 1HP enough power for wood and occasional aluminum?

Thanks!
Ed

Brady Watson
09-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Yes, it is certainly a worthwhile option. It has more than enough power for the Desktop. I've machined plenty of hardwoods, aluminum and brass on mine without skipping a beat. It doesn't 'howl' like a hand held router.

No, you cannot control the speed via software. There aren't provisions in the VFD for this. It isn't really necessary & speed is easily adjusted via a knob and the display on the VFD.

-B

scottp55
09-24-2015, 01:46 PM
We debated quite a bit before we bought a Desktop about that option, but finally decided to go for it. After running it for a few months, when we bought the second Desktop it wasn't even a consideration as to which way we would go. Haven't regretted it for a minute.
MUCH quieter than even my Bosch lam trimmer, not even on the same planet actually.
Only time I've ever even heard it bog down was a major operator error, that caused me to E-Stop anyways.
All hardwood work here, and the Fein II is the loudest thing we hear on most cuts,and we can hold an almost normal conversation.
I cringe when I watch a vid and hear a router actually slow down when it enters a cut now, as I've never heard it with the spindle.
I initially was bummed out about having to use the VFD for control, but now it's no big deal, and even a plus when dealing with a new bit or an "Iffy" cut as I just keep a finger on it while watching the cut and listening to it and dialing it in till it sounds sweet, THEN I look at the display and find out what RPM I was running at and change the file. Some cuts/bits/woods even a 500 RPM change makes all the difference in the world.
Excellent way to go.
scott

jwa1156
10-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Sorry
The spindle is controlled by the VFD the software runs the tool pathing
I have a desktop and just learned that the Spindle is NOT covered under
The ShopBot warrenty
I ran the C5 Warm Up routine each and every time I ran my Desktop the spindle on my 13-14 months old
Tech support thinks it has a barring issue have to contact the spindle manufacture for hlpe
cost of new spindle $1,599.00
Good Luck