PDA

View Full Version : Surfacing the 48" Buddy

bigboxkurt
11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Has anyone experience a problem when surfacing the table on their buddy...basically where the first 4 or 5 passes around the perimeter are very rough and have obvious tool marks between passes. But the center area is dead flat and totally smooth. I'm wondering if it's some kind of problem with the rollers, but I'm not sure.

erik_f
11-22-2009, 09:02 AM
I dont own a newer style buddy but it would seem your work is not supported. The rollers would be where i would start.

ugur
12-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Your table edge sides are bended! they are not flat

shoeshine
12-16-2009, 03:59 PM
is this tue in both x and y?

I would think the rollers would only account for problems in the x axis.

Brady Watson
12-16-2009, 05:38 PM
"I'm wondering if it's some kind of problem with the rollers, but I'm not sure."

Grab the YZ car and wiggle it front & back, up & down. If you feel/hear ANY slop you need to adjust the eccentric V-bearings via a 6mm allen key on the BOTTOM of the car. You should not see coarse marks on the spoilboard when you are flattening.

-B

bigboxkurt
12-17-2009, 07:20 PM
I did some pretty serious adjusting of the rollers and got the tool marks down to almost nothing. I think at this point it's just a matter of fine tuning. Basically the rollers were not adjusted front to back, or side to side. So for example the back would not be supported as the bit came around and pressed on the surface. There would be some flex and this seems to have caused the marks.

Fine tuning will basically mean moving the car to different spots and checking the height of the bit above the surface. I also noticed however that my Z zero plate is not perfectly flat, so it matters where you touch the bit down along its length. My really really really strait edge doesn't lie.

bigboxkurt
12-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh and thanks for the replies!

erik_f
01-02-2010, 10:06 AM
glad it sounds like you have it sorted.