PDA

View Full Version : Importing Sketchup cabinets to VCarve Pro

jTr
10-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Anyone having success importing cabinetry models using the sketchup importing function?
Am in contact with Vectric support, but we're unable to keep dados and holes separated from a component's general outline. Working diligently to get Sketchup triggering layers so they appear and are assigned accordingly, but just cannot seem to crack this. Main issue is how Sketchup manages layers vs. VCarve Pro. A cabinet side is created as a component. Dados and holes are generated and assigned to their respective layers, but seems VCPro is seeing them all as one, since these layers appear within a component.

Current method in Sketchup is to manually dis-assemble cabinets, rotate flat, then arranging / nesting for plywood processing using a grid of layout lines. Once laid out, all parts are exploded. Next, select all holes and export a dxf called 5mm holes. Next, select all dados and generate a dxf file with appropriate name, and so on. These are then imported one layer at a time, cleaned and joined, circles converted, etc, then on to next layer. Obviously, I'm burning many hours grinding through this way, so very stubborn about getting this to work, as I'd like to have weekends and evenings to myself eventually!

I feel there's likely a workaround, but just running out of tricks to make it fly... Surely someone else has?

(footnote: Posted this same text on Vectric forum. This is also why I'm considering Mozaik or similar software, but feel it is prudent to completely exhaust all possibilities of utilizing what I already own for software..)

jeff