PDA

View Full Version : spindle fans cut out

steve
10-16-2015, 06:34 PM
The cooling fans on my two HSD spindles suddenly stopped working, everything else seems to be fine. (prs alpha)
Any ideas?

Brady Watson
10-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Check the 24v power supply and connections. This is what powers the spindle fan on HSDs.

-B

Ajcoholic
10-16-2015, 08:51 PM
I bought my mamchine with 4 HP HSD spindle in Feb 2012. I think it was March or April of that year, my fan also refused to come on when I powered up my machine. I got a replacement from Shopbot, but between the time I told them my fan wasnt working, until it arrived - I read somewhere that this isnt uncommon, and sometimes the fan will often work if you give it a little blast of air to get started.

Its Oct 2015 and the same fan is still on my spindle - when I turn on the machine, I just give the spindle fan a small blast from the air line hanging next to my machine, and it always stays running. If it ever dies I still have the replacement.. :)

Worth a try. Im assuming they are small brushed DC motors. Probably just dirty a commutator or something.. but once it gets spinning it stays running.

knight_toolworks
10-16-2015, 10:30 PM
they do die but don't cost a lot to replace. but I battled mine turning on and off as it moved. it would come home stop and the fan would stop then start again seconds or a minute later. I replaced fans and check all the connections waggled wires for years. I finally found it was the zip ties holding the wire to the chain. it got better and almost vanished then came back worse then ever. I finally bought some lamp wire to just replace it and was clipping the last zip tie and it has been fine every since.

steve
10-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Thanks everyone, I checked (wiggled) the power supply and made sure the wires were tight. They seem to work today. I havened opened that box in 8 years, just worked loss I hope.