PDA

View Full Version : Digitizing Probe - Wednesday October 28th at 1:00pmEDT

TJ
10-26-2015, 11:19 AM
ShopBot offers an accessory that allows one to make a copy of an object in 3D. The probe can also be used to trace the outline of the edges of a flat part in order to produce a 2D file for cutting out copies of the part.

I will demonstrate how to get through a 2D and 3D scan using the probe in the SB3 software, show this being done on the machine and importing it into the Vectric software.

If you are unable to attend this session will be recorded and posted on our YouTube page and website for future viewings.

Hope to see you there, thanks, TJ

1. Please join my meeting.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/753223397

2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.

Dial +1 (312) 757-3121
Access Code: 753-223-397
Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting

Meeting ID: 753-223-397

GoToMeeting®
Online Meetings Made Easy®

scottp55
10-28-2015, 12:04 PM
SB interesting:)

TJ
10-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Great turnout today for the digitizing probe session! Lots of tips and tricks for better probing are also included in this tutorial.

Enjoy and thanks for everyone's participation.

https://youtu.be/3IzJuQ8SO2c

dwalton59
10-31-2015, 06:00 PM
can you use the digital probe with an indexer?

Brady Watson
10-31-2015, 06:17 PM
can you use the digital probe with an indexer?

Yes, but you'll have to jump through some hoops.

If you plan on editing/sculpting the finished result (which is what I would recommend), you will want to do some math to figure out how to unwrap the digitized file while it is scanning, so that you can bring it into Aspire as an unwrapped part. This involves making the B axis a linear axis, instead of degrees & as I said, doing some math to make your Unit Value right for that specific job. Scan it as an SBP.

You'll need to calculate the circumference of the 'bounding box cylinder' of the part in question, and then take 360 degrees and chop it up so your linear unit value works out. If you had a 3" bounding box cylinder, you would do:

C = Pi * D or C = 3.1416 * 3 which equals, 9.4248"

So...360 degrees of movement = 9.4248 linear inches. You need to change the B axis from degrees to linear inches (or mm) and then do a ZB. Then you need to change the Unit Value for the B until you are able to do a MB,9.4248 and have the indexer go EXACTLY 1 revolution (360 deg of rotation). You need to pencil mark your chuck with a piece of tape and each time, make sure you run back to B0 before you change the UV for the B. Use a v-bit etc for your index pointer on your pencil mark...

I do 3D scanning professionally, so probing is like going back to the stone age for me. It certainly can be done...if you want it bad enough, you'll figure it out. I did without any help...

-B