PDA

View Full Version : X-axis error

ghostcreek
04-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Hello all, I am looking for some suggestions to solve my problem (ShopBot, not me). During a cut, it will randomly stop, give me a window that says something like, "reached a stop", If I choose quit, I lose all my work to that point, if i choose resume, it will start cutting, but thinks that the resume point is x=0, y=correct position, z= correct position.
No relationship to: position, time, tool, speed or phase of the moon. I am thinking electrical noise, I have checked all cabling, even shut off (at breakers) all other shop power. Just Bot, PC, spindle and dust collector power up. Any and all suggestions are welcome. (BT48 standard)
Thank You all in advance.

Gary Campbell
04-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Michael...
Are you sure that you are not hitting one of the prox targets?

What is the status of the input lights on the SB console? (when stop is hit)

What efforts have you made for static grounding? This may give you some ides: http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?title=Grounding_your_ShopBot
Gary

ghostcreek
04-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Gary, as always Thank You for the reply. To start, my grounding is per the discussion you mentioned. My dust collector has all the hoses grounded to the duct they are attached to. the Bot is grounded at the frame to my Electrical ground (breaker panel) with #10 copper ground wire.
I cannot see any way I am hitting the prox targets. I will be re-running the same file again tomorrow, I will look closer at the input lights when it stops again (I just know it will happen again, a 8 hour, 3D finishing tool path, after 1.5 hours!)
Thanks again, I will double check all my grounds & the prox targets.

Gary Campbell
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Michael...
Good luck with this, and dont forget to email or call SB techs. There are some machines (I own one) that seem hypersensitive to some conditions and have recurring erroneous stop hits.

IF you can find a way to make this repeatable, it can be fixed. write down coordinates of every "hit", check and note condition of switch indicator lights on console.

If you can repeat the hits,you can try turning your prox off one at a time, [VN] switch 2 or 3 to "0, std switch" one at a time, then swap & repeat.
Gary

beacon14
04-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Do you have File Limit Checking on? There have been problems over the years with prox switches making false triggers during cutting.

Try turning File Limit Checking off. Use the SF - [S]et [F]ile limit checking - command.

jporter
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I had something similar to this very early on with my BT 32 T. It would stop at the same place every time and give some kind of fault. I posted on the forum and Brady suggested that I check my data flow thru my USB cable. There is a test for this in the SB software. I am at work right now and cannot look all of this up to give the proper names for this, but I am sure one of these other guys knows. Anyway, my data flow was below the minimum and I changed my usb connection for a series "2" and my data flow improved and since then I have not had another problem with the machine stopping during a run. Hope this is of some help, joe

khaos
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I ha the same issue before I put my PC on a UPS. Apparently noise on the AC line was making it through and causing the false stop message.

ghostcreek
04-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks Guys for the input. I spent the day redoing all my grounds per the Article Gary wrote "grounding your ShopBot". It had a few items I missed when I installed. I spent alot of time getting it right to eliminate any static issues. You have all raised some very valid issues that I will look into in the morning.
I did email ShopBot tech support. They suggested turning off the Limits. I am also interested in using a UPS, I have wondered about line noise. I also wonder about the cable for the 3 phase spindle. As i have only single phase, the Inverter is rephasing to 3 phase, I'm sure that must generate some noise. I also want to reroute that cable, but I want to try one step at a time to nail this down.
Do all of you use a UPS? is it on the control box, or the PC or both?
Joe Porter, do you mean a USB 2.0 when you said series 2? I saw that test on the forum, seems like I need to jumper some pins or something. Got alot to try,
Again, Thanks to you all, it is cool not feeling alone out here. (Northern California Mountains)

jporter
04-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Michael, yes, a USB 2.0. If you research my name on the forum you will find the originalquestion on my part and the answers that were successful in correcting my problem. I had to replace the USB card in the computer to make it work, but since then, no more problems. I hope this helps, joe

erik_f
04-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Michael,
Joseph is talking about the connection speed between your PC and your control box. There is a utility in the control software to test your usb speed. Shopbot say 70% communication rate is minimum for full speed...you should be running the usb2 hub they provided. To my knowledge the Buddy does not require extra grounding. At least that is what the manual says. I would check your usb connection speed via the speed test Joseph talked about.

jporter
04-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Erik is correct, as usual. I thought you could research by "Name of poster", but cannot find it myself. Anyway, follow Erik's advice and that should help you out, joe

ghostcreek
04-10-2009, 12:30 AM
One and all, It would seem nirvana has been reached.
After extensive operation and testing, it would seem the culprit was EMI. A combination of power from the Inverter to Bot, and proper grounding of ALL the machine (8 separate locations.) was causing interference and induced voltages. Happy to report that an all-nighter correction of these culprits seems to have make a world of difference. Ran Bot for 10 hours today, alot of intensive 3d work, not a faint wobble!
Thank You for the help, it helped my trouble shooting. I think we owners need to spend a little more time installing the machine properly, we would gain excellent results immediately. My local electrician, who while well qualified in his field, didn't notice the need for the attention to detail for a proper operating CNC machine. Again, my Thanks.
Solution:
Proper Grounding
Proper Routing of power to Spindle
UPS on system
PCI card for USB speed.
Result:
Happy Bot & Cabinetmaker