View Full Version : USB Connection Issue

Chazz
11-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Hi folks, looking for ideas for the quick fix... Here is the text of my ticket to the shopbot support:

------
I start the shopbot control software and it could not connect. I have cut with this before; but it has been a month or so. The computer is dedicated to the shopbot so I know that nobody changed it. The current version is 3.8.12. I had left the PC on since the last time I used the desktop, upon failing to connect, I restarted the PC (power off DT, then power on once PC was up), failing that, I shutdown the PC (same routine with DT). Still no connection. The LED on the Desktop follow with my disconnecting and reconnecting the USB from the PC. I checked system -> device manager-> usb and see a "shopbot" usb device when the USB from the DT is connected. It goes away when I disconnect. While tempted to just start running 3.8.38, I would like to get the old connection to work first. Thoughts?
------

I have the desktop/router, control software 3.8.12. It was all working when I used it last month... I am at a loss... and hoping that it is something simple....

Thoughts?

Chazz
11-18-2015, 08:10 AM
Just an update for folks that might be interested...

Shopbot support got back to me that night. They suggested that I go ahead and try the upgrade to 3.8.38. So, I followed the procedure and it did fine up until it wanted to update the firmware on the Shopbot Desktop. That didn't work. They asked for pictures, I sent. They suggested I look for loose connections and such around the power connection to the control board. I have a digital volt meter so I went ahead and measured that and it comes out to +48 vdc where it seems that it should. I noticed some lights shining from behind the control board and didn't know if they meant anything in particular, so I took more pictures and sent them back. At this time I am awaiting the next step.

Of course, they have been courteous and responsive....

Brady Watson
11-18-2015, 09:06 AM
For the heck of it, have you tried another PC?

-B

Chazz
11-18-2015, 12:13 PM
I tried to use a laptop; but the one LED that was lighting up before didn't even light up for that. I had it powered on; but not logged in. I should try again though. At first, I was thinking that there was two different voltages in USB; but I think that is just RS-232. Also, the computer sees the shopbot as a USB device. It knows that it is a "shopbot" device. I don't know if it is supposed to see more than one....

Brady Watson
11-18-2015, 12:49 PM
If you have a spindle speed control via usb unplug it. This will allow you to focus on the controller connectivity. The ssc will show up as a sb device too.

-B