PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Control Board Question

mwpfeifer
02-04-2009, 03:02 PM
In reviewing the documentation supporting the installing a Spindle Control Board for a Yaskawa VFD there is a reference to using the [TR] command within an SB3 file. For example "TR, 12000,1" would command the VFD to drive the spindle a 12000 rpm. My question for those folks who may have this board installed is what happens if you send the command "TR, 0000,1" ? Does this result in the spindle dropping to zero RPMs or does one have to press th front panel Run/Stop buttons on the VFD to fully stop the spindle??

Oh, by the way I'm asking this as it would relate to a Standard version Buddy or PRS.
Mike

srwtlc
02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
One way to find out! ;-)

Really though, if you want to turn off the spindle, you should put SO,1,0 at the end of the file.

The post processors in VCP or PW will do that for you if you use the right one for controlling a spindle/router.

ed_lang
02-04-2009, 05:12 PM
The spindle will go to "0" RPM's.

mwpfeifer
02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Scott,
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough, I don't yet have this control board so can't test it so was asking before I ordered it.

Ed,
Am I correct in understending you have one of the control boards installed on a Standard version Buddy or PRS and have confirmed this is how it works?

I don't really want to spend a bunch of bucks for one of these boards if I'm not sure what all it can do>
Thanks,
Mike

knight_toolworks
02-05-2009, 12:26 AM
going lower then around 1000 rpms (not sure exactly the number) will make the spindle grind or make some not nice sounds. don't ask me how I know this. it will not run well. myself I would not try it.

srwtlc
02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah, setting it at 1000 when you meant 10000 will do that. Been there too! ;-) I'll typically run no lower than 4000 for drilling small holes.

Mike, I would assume that it works the same as it does with an Alpha, on at the beginning, off at the end, and rpm control throughout the file for different toolpaths with the same tool. Shift and + or - to speed up/slow down incrementally. If you pause (at least on a Alpha) with the S key, it will stop, and when you resume, it will start again. giving it a TR command will change the rpm accordingly.

mwpfeifer
02-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks Scott, that's what I'm hoping will be the result if I install one of the control boards on my Standard Buddy.

ed_lang
02-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Yes, setting the speed to zero will stop the spindle. No noise or grinding sounds. Just stop. I have never tried to run my 4HP HSD lower than 9K RPM so I cannot comment on the lower speed sounds.

There is one shop close to me that uses this method to stop the spindle daily and has done so for months.

For me, I tried it, but like the method of turning output 1 off and on.

Gary Campbell
02-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Michael...
You can configure a standard to operate like the alpha using two 24VDC coil 8 pin relays and the ShopBot relay board.

Relay 1 triggers with 24V board power and powers the VFD (needs to be 30A)

Relay 2 triggers with output 1

Depending on the pinout of the standard board you may be able to use another to "press" the start button also
Gary

mwpfeifer
02-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Ok, here's the skinny on using the Spindle Control Board on a Standard machine. Ed is absolutely correct, the spindle will go to "0" if you command it from the software. ( i.e. TR,0,1).
If you also want to command Run/Stop then you have to follow Gary's recommendation. I haven't done the relay thing but it appears you would be switching the 220/240 power between the VFD and the spindle. The relay board Gary mentions would be rather handy if one was interested in controlling vacuum, dust collection etc. in addition to the Run/Stop. I'm not there yet so can't comment further.

alvaro
03-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi i have a shopbot prt alpha, and when i start the shopbot i canīt put the toggle switch move/up in the up position, only appear the "runtime error 91" what itīs happens?, what can i do?. please if someone can guide me.
Álvaro Briones
Chile