PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Chicago-area Camp ShopBot: March 5

Camp ShopBot
01-21-2016, 01:29 PM
The 2016 Chicago-area Camp ShopBot is on Saturday, March 5 at Naperville Central High School in Naperville, IL.

This is the 2nd Chicago Camp we've had in the past few years and the first time at Naperville Central High School. Wright King, our host teacher, has 3 different ShopBots in his classroom wood shop: a PRS Alpha, a Buddy and a Desktop. Lucky students! ;) He is part of the school's New Technology, Engineering and Education department. This Camp will be great for educators and students.

Camp ShopBots are 1-day events that feature topic-based presentations, a Show and Tell session, many Q & A's throughout the day, and time to chat with other ShopBot users. Spend a day learning tips and new techniques and sharing your own knowledge and experiences.

Whether you are a potential owner, beginner, hobbyist or have years of machining experience, Camps are intended for all skill levels and types of users, even students.

Camps are free and registration is required:
2016 Chicago-area Camp ShopBot (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11aVq66zqTeFevk9UYaXzPOhfV9bPshO3fdEUUQzk-xU/viewform)

*Bring a ShopBot made project to share during the Show and Tell Session! Anything from a ShopBot-made jig or beginner test piece to a 3D carving or prototype for a new product, bringing something for the Show and Tell session truly enriches the Camp experience for everyone! We'd love to see what you are making.

Schedule:
8:30-9am: Morning sign-in/Meet and Greet with coffee and doughnuts
9am-noon: Morning Presentations
noon-1pm: Lunch (Free!)
1-2pm: Show and Tell session
2-4pm: Afternoon Presentations
Camps usually wrap up by 4:30pm.

Camps are organized and lead by ShopBot. They are not hands-on training but rather presentation based.

Chuck Keysor
01-21-2016, 05:05 PM
I just got done signing up for the Naperville Camp Shopbot. The registration form is set up with Google Forms.

As a note of caution, the form responded VERY slowly. Sometimes I had to do lots of clicking, and waiting, maybe up to a minute, before a cursor would appear on the form and I could enter the next line of data. Then I'd move on to the next data line, and have to click and wait. Very slow.

This is just a note in case someone else has a problem,,,, just keep at it, and if you are like me, you will eventually get through it.

Thanks, Chuck

MaxFrenzy
01-27-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm considering signing up as it's a great learning and networking opportunity, but the date is my son's 4th birthday! Of course it has to be on a day where I have an obligation. I'd like to see who else might be registering to see if the turnout will be worthwhile. It would be nice to meet you and others in person Chuck.

Chuck Keysor
01-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Max, I hope you can make it, but if not, you have a great excuse! There don't seem to be many Botters in the Chicago suburbs. Mayo is just about 4 miles from me in South Elgin. It is good to have someone close by to connect with on SB thoughts. But I don't travel far, so South Elgin is my kind of closeness, as opposed to Chicago, which considering my driving patterns may as well be the moon.

I don't know if people list Chicago as their location, as a generality, because people don't know where Carol Stream is. But I listed Elgin specifically in the hopes of connecting with someone who was close by. Getting to chat with someone close by, who knows how to do things I'm interest in, but not yet into would be very helpful in getting moving, instead of my sitting and thinking.....

Chuck

andracke
02-08-2016, 02:04 PM
What are the specific topics that will be covered??

Camp ShopBot
02-09-2016, 11:34 AM
The agenda hasn't been set yet. But we usually cover a variety of topics such as machining plastics and aluminum, Understanding Feeds/speeds/Chip load, Hold down techniques including vacuum, 3D carving, 2-sided machining, Trouble shooting your machine, and 1 or 2 guest speakers. Since we are at a high school, our host, Wright King, will do a short presentation about his students' projects and how he approaches the digital fabrication/ShopBot as an educator.

rseeley13
02-17-2016, 11:52 AM
I was wondering who is going to this camp, will there be business owners to network with or since this is held at a high school will it be people that don't have a shopbot. I would have to drive 4hrs so I want to make sure it will be worth my time and have people there to network with. Also how many people have signed up for this one?

Camp ShopBot
02-17-2016, 12:41 PM
What's great about Camps are that they attract all types of users, from those who've owned their machines for 15 years and have a PRT to those who recently purchased their machine and are needing some inspiration and tips on getting started. From those who do production, to hobbyists, to cabinet makers, to artists and architects. We also sometimes have users who use their local maker/hacker/techshop's machines. (Pumping Station One, a hackerspace in Chicago, has a ShopBot so we may have some people from there.) And we usually get a few people who are looking to purchase their first machine but want to speak to others before making the investment and commitment.

We have over 40 people signed up so far for the Chicago and we'll probably get more in the next two weeks. We like having Camps in different settings, to reflect all the areas where CNC technology is being used. And schools are one of our main customers. Our host teacher has done a great job of integrating his 3 machines into the curriculum. There are a lot of ShopBot machines in the Chicago area, including up into Michigan and Wisconsin.

Camp ShopBot
02-25-2016, 02:19 PM
We are about 1 week away from the Chicago-area Camp ShopBot!

There is still time to sign up! But please do so by March 2 so that we can plan accordingly for catering/chairs/etc.

Register here - Chicago-Area Camp (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11aVq66zqTeFevk9UYaXzPOhfV9bPshO3fdEUUQzk-xU/viewform)

Here are a few details:

Address: Naperville Central High School, 440 Aurora Ave, Naperville, IL 60540
https://goo.gl/maps/YdKpe83DWum

Parking: Enter into parking lot from Hillside Rd., right across the street from the tennis courts. Door #17 leads into his classroom.

What to bring: A notebook or tablet computer is sometimes helpful at Camps to take notes, along with business cards to hand out if you have them. You will not need safety glasses.

Show and Tell Session: A great part of Camps is the Show and Tell session: It offers everyone a chance to actively participate. Floor space as well as tables to set your projects on will be available. If you do large work or client commissions, bring photographs. No matter if it is a ShopBot-made jig or beginner test piece or commissioned 3D carving, having lots of examples really enriches the Camp experience for everyone!

Schedule:
8:30- 9am: Morning sign-in/Meet & Greet (Coffee and doughnuts provided)
9am- Noon: Morning presentations (We strive to begin promptly at 9am)
Noon- 1pm: Lunch (A vegetarian and gluten free option is available. If you have serious dietary restrictions we encourage you to pack a lunch.)
1- 1:30pm: Show and Tell session
1:30pm- 4pm: Afternoon presentations

Camps wrap up by 4:30pm at the latest

Chuck Keysor
03-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Thank you Shopbot for putting on the Naperville/Chicago Camp Shopbot on 3/5/16! I found it to be a very worthwhile event. Gary and Wright put on a good event, and I would recommend that anyone with a chance to attend one of these meetings should do so if they get the opportunity.

I was very interested to learn about the future Shopbot improvement that will replace the SB3 interface. As I understood it, the upgrade will allow my cut files to be loaded into my SB control box before file execution begins. The benefit to me is that it will eliminate the random "Com errors" that I get now. I can hardly wait.

Thanks again Shopbot for reaching out to your dedicated customers and hosting this very helpful event! Chuck

Camp ShopBot
03-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Chuck, and glad you had a great time! Thanks to everyone for coming out to the Camp.